“Creative food in an elegant setting”
Review of Social

Social
Reserve with OpenTable
Social is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #252 of 2,737 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Cross street: George / York
Transit: There are public transit stops on Rideau street and at the Rideau Center (which is within walking distance).
Ontario, Canada
“Creative food in an elegant setting”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We celebrated a birthday with dinner at Social. Expect a blending of interesting additions to each course. Great attention to details, both the food and service. We had a lovely experience overall.
Although my short ribs which were so soft I didn't need a knife, came with mashed potatoes, I had a side order of the best French fries in town! My husband ordered two starters then finished part of my huge portion. I am still full, three days later. mmmmm!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank marcia s

Maple Ridge, Canada
“Can accomodate large groups”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We come to Ottawa a couple times a year with a large business group and inevitably we book an evening at the Social. The main reason is that they have a private, wine cellar type room where we can have a good time.

They do have an abbreviated menu for larger groups, however, there is a fairly good selection to choose from. It would be nice if they changed it up from time to time, as we were there in March and coming back in May and it's the same fare.

Just a complaint from 3 of our team on the lamb entry this time. Evidently, it was tough and poorly trimmed. Other than that, everyone else was happy with their meals.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Ray W
Ottawa, Ontario
“Pre-concert gem”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Conveniently located to the National Arts Centre we often go to Social for a pre-concert supper.

Must mention the wine, Raging Meg Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand's Marlborough region was excellent - very flavourful, crisp, tasty and refreshing.

My wife had steak frites and, typically, she ate all the frites and only half the steak. Eating the left-overs I thought it was excellent, perfectly cooked (medium rare) and very tasty.

My fish and clams were good took, the clams tasting fresh and the cod perfectly cooked, moist, tender and delicious.

For dessert we split a passion fruit concoction that was the perfect compliment to the rest of the meal.

Enjoy!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Daniel F
Ottawa, Canada
“Great!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Recently made a visit to Social, when I heard the buzz about this new chef, haven't been to Social in some quite some time because of the service and disappointing meal. Decided to give it another go and WOW. Not sure what the person below is talking about but my scallops were delicious, and followed by the lamb dish OMG!! Service was great but a little to informal for my liking, but good all the same. Highly recommend checking this place out.

• Visited March 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Delicious”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Even though it was somehow empty on a sunday night we loved everything about it starting from the design of the place to the last bit of food!
I wanted to try something different so i ordered the duck which was so delicious! If you're a meat lover go for their Steak.
as for dessert we had the Pumpkin pie, which wasn't an actual pie but tasted really good.
Service is Excellent.