“Bad birthday experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Social

Social
Reserve with OpenTable
Social is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #238 of 2,725 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Cross street: George / York
Transit: There are public transit stops on Rideau street and at the Rideau Center (which is within walking distance).
Ottawa, Canada
“Bad birthday experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I'm usually quite passive about my restaurant experiences, but I created an account just to write this review because of how bad of a service I received at this establishment.

For my birthday, I made a reservation at Social for a group of 8 at 9:30pm. When we arrived we were told to wait a few minutes for them while our table was clearing out. 20-30 minutes later we were still waiting. The hostess was a bit frustrating as she asked us a few times whether we were sure that there was going to be 8 people (yes, why else would I make a reservation for 8?) because they wanted to put us at a table for 5. The manager was "nice" enough to drop by and explain the situation (a group before us had been at our table since 4:00pm) and promised us free dessert and drinks. That seems nice, so we'll let it pass this time.

When we finally got our table we were taken to this big private room but were forced to jam into a corner with a table for 8 (my guests had to climb over chairs to get to the bathroom). Eventually we had to move the tables around to accommodate for one additional guest (9 in total). The waiter complained that the tables were moved specifically to accommodate for an 8 person seating arrangement and we were just moving it back to the original position. Earlier you people were trying to get us into a 5 person table and now you're complaining about 9 people? Do you even want business?

The food was actually not bad. A few of the guests and myself got the Tuna dish and we quite enjoyed it. However, another guest got the Steak Frites and he wasn't too impressed. The service (surprise, surprise), was mediocre at best. We never received table napkins with our meal and had to chase the waiter down for drinks. When he did come by, he would never ask the entire table whether anyone else needed drinks and we had to chase him down again. C'mon waiting 101? I'd expect much more from such a "classy" restaurant where you're paying over $20 for a single dish. Also, we're there late at night of course we need drinks! In any case, it became quite apparent that he just wanted to rush us out.

The manager promise for dessert and drinks never surfaced. We were offered shots (which were probably just juice from the taste of it) and he weasled his way out of giving us the dessert and promised it to us the next time we were back (nice try, but that probably won't be happening). When we paid for our bill, the waiter actually told us that we were his last table of this job there forever. Well, that explains everything. But it doesn't explain why the manager would give us a waiter that is on his last shift for a group party. At least that probably means he doesn't care much about his tip either. Har har.

Suffice to say, I will not be coming here for a long time (if ever). Like others have said, its extremely overrated and pretentious. It's a shame we don't have very many options for nice, affordable, and respectful lounges in Ottawa.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank KKumaKuma

Toronto, Canada
“Great food and great times”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Food was great and the servers were friendly although they had a slight air of superiority about them, which is strange, seeing how they are "servers" but I rather enjoyed the overall experience.
I also loved the ambiance.

• Visited July 2012
Gatineau, Canada
“Better to go as a group”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I don't go oftent to eat out. I am gessing that is make us picky.

The food was good, but not as we had hoped. The sauce coming with my steak was a bit on the old style and my husband and I had the same side dishes, even if he ordered the fish (for us it is a bit annoying, especially when you pay top dollars for a meal).

The entrées where very good, the tartare was great and well seasonned, and the scallops where well cooked and the presentation was good.

The place was noisy, so I think more fun to go there as a group. The decor is beautiful, and the service was really good.

• Visited November 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“Wonderful Evening!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We recently dined at Social for our Wedding Anniversary. We did make reservations online but when we arrived they were not in the computer. Luckily it was a Sunday eve so it was not a problem to get a table. The atmosphere was very inviting and quite eclectic. The wine menu was quite nice and had different price ranges available. We were pleased with our wine selection from Mclaren Vale at $60. We split a charcuterie plate, which was lovely. My husband had the duck which he found alittle dry (he is a chef so can be quite critical) and I had the chicken which I enjoyed. After dinner we split the chocolate dessert plate which was outstanding! A great finish to the evening with a deliciously smooth cappuccino! The servers were quite professional and made us feel very welcomed. We will go back again next time we are in town.

• Visited October 2012
Peterborough, Canada
“Dinner before the theatre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was recently in Ottawa with a friend to see a ballet and Social was recommended to us.
We booked an unusually early dinner for 6 pm; enjoy a nice bottle of wine; shared the scallop appetizer which was excellent. The menu was new that night so the server couldn't comment too much on the food. I had the short ribs and my friend had the lamb and we were both very pleased. The atmostsphere is great, the food and wine excellent but it's funny how service can make a difference. With that said, 4 'stars' only and I recgonize this could have been an 'off' night for the hostess and waiter so I would still highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited October 2012