“Best Thai food in Ottawa”
Review of Siam Kitchen

Siam Kitchen
Ranked #505 of 2,889 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband and I live in the area and go to this restaurant at least 3-4x/month. It is my husband's favorite place to go for dinner, even when price is not a consideration. The best dishes in our opinion are: mango salad (not on the menu but excellent), panang curry with beef, and the masaman curry. Despite how frequently we eat here, we've never had a bad meal (and we are both picky when it comes to Thai). The decor is simple and the servers are kind although the service isn't polished. We highly recommend this restaurant for really delicious Thai food for those who are less concerned about ambiance. A true diamond in the rough!

Reviewed April 4, 2012

I've gone here a few times in the past 10 years, and it has never disappointed, including last night. In all that time as well I don't think I've ever finished my meal, since the portions tend towards the enormous! Service and decor are pretty typical.

My very picky fiancée also was impressed, getting the spring rolls and pad Thai.

Tip: I have always been partial to the green coconut curry with chicken and potatoes, very tasty and filling, and only $20 even with added rice, tax and 15% tip.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I have eaten here many times and always thoroughly enjoyed our meals. I have also had many luncheons here with friends, who have become repeat diners, as a result. The food in a word, is AWESOME. It's not inexpensive, but it's worth every penny! They also have good luncheon specials, if you are on a budget. It's very popular at noon, so go early as both the parking lot and the dining rooms are small and often full. Who eats there? Mostly local residents from Old Ottawa South and the Glebe. Also professors and students from nearby Carleton University frequently lunch there. At night, the crowd is slightly different, as dinner prices are higher because the luncheon specials are no longer available. This restaurant is well-known, by the locals, although not typically frequented by tourists. They don't advertise because they have no need to do so. From the exterior, the Siam Kitchen is unpretentious so it is easy to pass it by...but DON'T. If you do, you'll be missing one of the best Thai meals you'll ever have!
Reservations are highly recommended and take-out is also available.

Reviewed December 3, 2009

We tried this restaurant during the week, we both really like thai and thought rather than the clutter of vietnamese places, lets go back to flavour!

I ordered the famous coconut chicken soup, and for 3.95, I was thinking this is a deal. Well, it had no flavour really, it was cold as well, you would think the server would notice that when delivering it, but no. So I sent it to get reheated and the second time it was only just 'warm'. So not the best I have had.

For mains, we had a green curry chicken in coconut and bamboo shoots and a spicy beef dish, both were generous and very good. Order food a bit spicy if you like it as most is very mild, we enjoyed the main course. I would not go here for a nice meal out, it is more of a 'i need to eat now, so let's go' rather than a place I would 'plan' to go to.

The interior needs a major reno, it is stuck in the 80s, but it is funny how we forgive ethnic restaurants that faux pas :)

Reviewed October 11, 2009

Pretty good, a little greasy.