“Food is mediocre”

Eggspectation Resto-Cafe-Bar
Ranked #1,266 of 2,738 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Description: Breakfast Brunch and Lunch . A la Carte Choices with Eggs theme . Serve Pasta, Salad, Appetizers, Desserts, Fruit Smoothies and everything that's Eggs.
“Food is mediocre”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Montreal, QC location is amazing! One of my favorite places. However I order the exact same dishes from the Ottawa location and they're half as tasty. The atmosphere is great but the food is very average. It's really too bad. Another example- they charge something like $3 for a side of hollandaise sauce- in Ottawa you get a tiny sample size whereas in MTL you get an entire bowl full. Not great value. Considering the prices you're paying for breakfast the food isn't worth it.

• Visited November 2012

Ottawa, Canada
“New ownership. Service & quality have suffered.”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Ate here July 1st and between then and now (Oct 7th) owners have changed and it is obviously not for the better. Plates are put together sloppy, no attention to detail. Service is terrible - we never did get asked or tended to in the upstairs portion so couldn't get seated even though there were 6 empty, cleared and set tables. Went back downstairs and eventhough they had seen us 10 min before and no one new had enetered the restaurant it wa slike a surprise that we wanted to sit downstairs and eat. Tables were not being cleared and when we did get a clean table and served it was like we were an inconcenience. Not once did I get asked if I wanted a refill on my coffee. And they got our toast order wrong...I mean it's toast, really, it can't be that hard for a breakfast place to get a toast order right. My husband had one of their specialty smoothies and it was terrible - that was a first for one to be terrible. It is a drink and came luke warm. It was pretty disgusting. The atmosphere too seemed to change. Things a just a little less clean and a little more beaten up - the tables, the chairs. It was weird. We didn't know they had changed hands but from the moment we entered we knew something was off. The air was different and it got confirmed by one of the servers. Anyway, very disappointed. This used to be one of favourite places to get a decent well served nice breakfast with lots of breakfast options and combos but we won't be going back. There are plenty of great restaurants in Ottawa that serve breakie so won't be wasting our money here.

• Visited October 2012
“Where's the Salmon?”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My son and I went for Sunday Brunch while my husband was in the Army Run. Sat upstairs and the service was very good. I ordered the California Benedict - was very disappointed to find only a very small piece of salmon and almost no spinach. Server checked on us very quickly and when told about the lack of salmon had the kitchen send up a small plate of fresh looking salmon. Made me happy, my son enjoyed his eggs and French toast. This place to go for a quick breakfast. A bit pricey for the quality of food

California Benedict
Two eggs poached, smoked salmon, spinach, asparagus, on wheat bread, gruyere cheese with our classic hollandaise sauce.

Eggstravaganza
Two eggs (any style) and two slices of French toast, choice of sausage, ham or bacon, served with grilled potatoes and chef’s fruit garnish.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Theresa W
Vinod C, General Manager at Eggspectation Resto-Cafe-Bar, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Hi Theresa
We at Eggspectation will like to apologize for the missed salmon .If you can please send me your contact info ,may be we can make arrangements to have you back with the assurance that the salmon will be as described in the menu .once again heartfelt apologies on less than stellar food on your plate .
thanks

Vinod
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not likely to go back - unless they improve their service”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The menu is enticing, but the several times I've been to this restaurant over the past few years have been disappointing... service just not 'there' and in spite of not working for it, there seems to be high expectations of the wait staff for the max. tip...

Vinod C, General Manager at Eggspectation Resto-Cafe-Bar, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Hi there

We at Eggspectation are all about great Service but sometimes its easy to lose focus.
If you can please send me a bit more details about your experience at eggsottawa@rogers.com
I will certianly like to hear as to how you would want the service to be or your Expectations at Eggspectations .
and I will like to take the positives and negatives from your feedback and make things better for our Patrons.

thanks
“wonderful breakfast!”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Such variety! and staff that are on the ball! The restaurant is clean and comfortable with reliable staff.