“Very tasty Indian cuisine”

Coconut Lagoon Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 2,785 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Coconut Lagoon is an Oasis for rich South Indian food, We specialize in a wide variety of Vegetarian and vegan dishes to offer at the Coconut Lagoon. We specialize in hand made Parathas, Idli, Dosa, currries and lot of Exotic seafood dishes. We have a wide variety of Biryani, Thali and our home made desserts are unique. While you are at Coconut Lagoon don't forget to taste our Madras Coffee and Indian Chai. So Prepare yourselves for a most memorable journey through South Indian cuisine and feast on high quality food of inimitable flavour, aroma and originality in the vibrant setting of Coconut Lagoon. Here at the Coconut Lagoon we believe that exceed expectations leave with an impression. Looking forward to serving you at the Coconut Lagoon Restaurant.
Ottawa, Canada
“Very tasty Indian cuisine”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Was celebrating my birthday and decided to try this restaurant since it got pretty good reviews on various websites.
It was easy to find,but not so easy to park since they have limited spaces.

We were quickly greeted and sat down. at a table for two.. The restaurant is small but very clean and not too ornate..as some can be..and service is fine..

Every thing we ordered was very good. My friend and I had the Thali dish which comes with seven sides.. Everyone of them was so delicious.. In terms of the food,you really couldn't beat it..Will definitely recommend and return again.

My biggest complaint was that it was a bit loud and difficult to carry on a conversation,but if it's not a romantic dinner you are looking for,just good food,then you must try it..

• Visited August 2013

Victoria, Canada
“Unassuming place with great food”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is the best Indian food in Ottawa, in my opinion. The food is South Indian, with lots of coconut dishes, few spicy curries. They also serve excellent Butter Chicken, even though it is not from South India. The breads are fresh and wonderful, and the service is efficient. I recommend this restaurant for its food, without hesitation, but do not expect too much from the ambiance, which is plain and simple.

• Visited May 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Good Service, Fairly Good Food”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I'll temper this review based on the fact that we're very particular about our Indian food so the criticism is very much about the food and the pairings and the quality we would expect for "GREAT" Indian food. It may very well be that most Indian restaurants serve lacklustre food. I wish there was a simply "Good" option instead of just average or very good.

Service was good and they recommended mixing and matching which for the two of us was perfect. For a Saturday night at 5pm when we went there, it filled up VERY fast - reservations would definitely be recommended.

The fried onion fritters sounded very different on the menu than when they came out - they sounded intriguing with three kinds of onions - but it's effectively fried onion strips.

The dips were good but the mint sauce was a bit too much. They didn't really go well with the onions.

The Porathas were AMAZING!!!! Forego the rice and get these with all your dishes.

On the main dishes, I found them very good but they were a little greasy which we found fairly surprising for Indian food. I had the beef vindaloo and I found the beef and potatoes were very boring - almost as though they were done in a standard stewing pot and then relied on the sauce to make them "indian". If you had poured gravy on them, they would have been standard home fare. The butter chicken was very good - they put the whole cilantro root which added a nice flare to it.

It's on the east end of the city so if I was in the area, I would go back but I don't know if I would travel from west to east to have Indian again.

• Visited August 2013
Ottawa
“fantastic food”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We love going to this place every time we have a craving for Indian Place. A dish to die for is Shrimp Moilee. It is fantastic and the coconut sauce is super tasty. Have it with rice or paratha or both, and you will be in another world. We also had lamb vindaloo and butter chicken - they were good but can't compare with the shrimp. Service is very friendly and attentive. The staff is always willing to talk to you. Can't wait to go again.

Shrimp Moilee
Shrimp cooked in a Mild Ginger Coconut Curry Sauce, Served with Basmati Rice

• Visited July 2013
“Really really good”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had the lunch buffet. The food was very good and everything was fresh. It was interesting how they served paratha at the buffet instead of nan. Also, the paratha was included as part of the buffet unlike East India Company.

Service was ok. They use cloth tablecloth, and instead of putting a fresh one after they clean the table, they would flip it and use the other side even it was stained. Would have much preferred a clean tablecloth.

• Visited July 2013