“Wonderful place”

Cuisines: Indian, Sri Lankan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Great decor, great staff, great food quality. A bit spicy for sure, but worth it! Great menu options, wonderful masala dosa.

We have been several times, so dates listed are approximate (and probably prior to the options offered).

There are newer reviews for Ceylonta Restaurant

Reviewed August 15, 2014

To start off, right away you are faced with a serious choice, vegetable or rasam soup? Fortunately for Jaques, this had been on the way. The rasam soup was good!

Next, there is wait in line (albeit a short line), cause yeah some place this good is going to have a line. The is an opportunity to enjoy the aromas, the Sri Lanken decor, and the snake charming music oozing out of hidden speakers.

Finally, Jaques arrived at the troft, grabbed a plate and going by memory there was not one, but two rice bins (steamed and yellow). Choosing the yellow one it's loaded onto the plate, forming the foundation of the lunch. On top goes curried chicken, curried beef, and an array of curried vegetables and sauces. The plate was full, (I think the waitress was worried it might spill onto the floor, but Jaques is masterful with the plate) and to prove it, adds not one, but two tandoori chickens to the heap.

Once gorging time is over, there is yet another choice to face. Tapioca or rice pudding?

Reviewed August 11, 2014

This was the third restaurant in my neighbourhood that I took my son to on his recent visit. He lives in Montreal and the restaurants there are often very good.

We arrived after a short walk from my apartment to find that the restaurant is covered in construction material - looks like the apartment building above is having some work done. We peered in and saw a number of tables full so in we went.

The restaurant is decorated in Sri Lanka style but is fairly plain. Service is friendly and efficient. When we couldn't decide whether to order the Devilled Chicken, the waitress brought us a small bowl to taste it in case we wanted to order it in future.

We ordered the chicken Kothu Rotti, a Sri Lankan specialty, which is stir fried chopped flat bread with meat. We also had the Thali which is 6 seperate curried dishes served with Basamati rice and pappadam. Wonderful food with complex flavours and spiced just right. For drinks we had Tiger and Cheetah beer. Price was about $45. for two. I would return likely with my son who was suitably impressed.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I have been to a lot of Indian restaurants both in Ottawa and all over India and although this falls under more Sri Lankan style food there are a lot of similarities with respect to ingredients and how they are prepared. I have frequented this restaurant on many occasions and have always had a great experience. The food is great and the atmosphere is great as well. If you have a group of ten or more you can do an all you can eat menu where you just order whatever is on the menu for as many times as you like. The beef vindaloo is great for the spice lovers and man it does not disappoint on the vindaloo scale. For the brave you can even ask for it to be hotter. Great food great place and worth the visit, especially if you can take advantage of the all you can eat menu with then or more people. Its a great way to try dishes you would never normally try.

2  Thank TravelGuru365
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I live one block from the Carling Avenue location of this restaurant and I really like it. I am originally from South India, and Sri Lankan food is the closest thing to South Indian food that I can find in Ottawa. Mind you it's not really hot, like Sri Lankan food in Sri Lanka, or South Indian food for the matter of that, but it's very good. (When I get takeout from here, I add hot sauces to it.)

There are lots of different ways of making biriyani, but the way they make it here is closer to South Indian biriyani than actual Indian Restaurants in Ottawa.

1  Thank OttawaChuck