“Average food, nice atmosphere”

Blue Cactus Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Cactus Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #550 of 2,808 Restaurants in Ottawa
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Byward Market Area
Cross street: Clarence Street
Transit: Transit stops in surrounding area.
Description: In Ottawa's famous Byward Market, Blue Cactus Bar and Grill offers the right blend of a modern uptown atmosphere with contemporary cuisine. From starters to main dishes, Blue Cactus Bar and Grill prides itself with excellence in service, dining and atmosphere.
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I had dinner here with a co-worker. I got the salmon. I thought the meal was good. The service was good. They have great beers on tap. I like the atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Blue Cactus Bar & Grill

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The Blue Cactus is really not a place for eating. Maybe a drink and chips. But food? Last time, I was cautious, so ordered a tomato salad - which I'll remember for a long time as bad, bad, bad - and expensive. I visited in August, tomatoes galore in the outdoor market next door, yet the tomatoes on my plate were green and looked sick; and the salad was deceptively small. Would I go back? No. I gave them several chances.

1  Thank Catherine K
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We went to Blue Cactus two weeks ago with friends from out of town. It was a week night so we had no problem getting a table. The service was mediocre. Our server was weak and she kept returning to the table to clarify what we ordered (she didn't write anything down). The servers seemed to be struggling because they were running around and glasses were breaking.

When the food finally did arrive (after a solid hour) it was cold. Our friends shared the fajitas, I had the steak sandwich and my boyfriend had the steak pasta. The cheese wasn't even melted and when I touched my meal it was cold. I tried a bite and I couldn't eat it. My boyfriend offered me some of his pasta and it was worse. I have never in my life sent a meal back but I just couldn't eat it. The server never came to check on our table and I eventually tracked her down and told her about my meal. She was very apologetic and took my meal back to the kitchen. She returned a short time later with my meal. The fries this time were fresh and hot but the steak was exactly the same. The kitchen replaced the bun and cheese and re-heated the original steak. Everything was once again cold. I didn't have the heart to complain again and I lied to the server when she returned to check in. Nothing was altered on our bill which bothered me but I guess I could've made more of a fuss but it wasn't worth it.

Our bill was expensive and the food was terrible. We all agreed it was the one of the worst. Unfortunately after leaving I remembered we tried Blue Cactus 6 months prior and it wasn't good then either. I guess they benefit from the location. The drinks were good but you couldn't get me to try the food again.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Service was beyond awful. The restaurant was semi busy with what appeared to be more than ample staff yet it took 20 minutes for someone to take our drink order and another 15 before they brought the drinks to the table. Well over an hour before any food appeared and it was awful. Every dish looked the same and nothing had any taste. We were a group of 7 co workers and everyone voted this the worst restaurant experience ever.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Friday night dinner with some friends; although they messed up my order the first time, it was less than a 10-minute wait for the correct plate. The food was pretty good; my friend had the butternut squash ravioli that was great and another had the Baja burger and said it was quite enjoyable. The atmosphere was great and upbeat, but the service and food could have been better.