“Appreciate the change in menu”
Review of Absinthe

Absinthe
Ranked #6 of 2,765 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Absinthe is a Restaurant where you can eat too much, drink too much, put your elbows on the table and laugh out loud... all at the same time and nobody cares. Absinthe is a restaurant of the people for the people.
Ottawa
“Appreciate the change in menu”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

the restaurant overall was ok - not what expected from a restaurant named as one of Ottawa's top 20. The menu was simple and had some appeal, though very difficult for a vegetarian. I would have expected at least one main to accommodate my needs. I asked for a "specially made salad" and fries and the kitchen did accommodate me, making a "blended" version of some of their other salads. Good wine list and excellent service.

It seems like a safe place to go, "a good bet" but did not make me pledge to come back. I applaud them however for their commitment to local and sustainable. For that reason I'll try them again if they make a few menu changes.

• Visited May 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Kingston, Canada
“So worth the trip away from the Market”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We had a wonderful meal at Absinthe. I would not have known of this place, if not for my friend who had been here on a previous trip. As we usually stay downtown when visiting Ottawa, the Byward Market is the default dining options. I was so glad we broke out of that mould!

The food was fantastic, and it was served in a highly professional manner. The staff made sure we knew about the uniqueness of the dishes, and were highly attentive that everything was perfect. A specific shout-out to Patrick and Mindy for their hard work!

This will be our new "go-to" restaurant in the future!

3 Thank bob_connelly
Ottawa, Canada
“Underrated restaurant. The best French inspired food in town.”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Had an amazing dinner at absinthe tonight. Started with a cheese board followed by appetizers of mushroom soup and a beautiful dressed and plated beet salad with goat cheese and walnuts. Our main dishes were spectacular. For dessert we tried the Sampler which was a perfect dessert to share. Service was excellent. Wine pairings spot on. Decor could be improved but the food is expertly prepared.

2 Thank Djakau
Ottawa, Canada
“Favourite Restaurant in Ottawa”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I love Absinthe! To the point where the staff know us, and give us a hug if we come in. They are very friendly, huge foodies and love to talk about food! All the serves are passionate about what is being cooked and tell you every detail about the food (which is really nice!)

The food, is amazing. Everything is prepared so well. I love duck, and used to always go to MTL to have it done right. Well I no longer need to go to Montreal because the duck is always cooked perfectly here. We had friends from out of town - who are food snobs - so we brought them here. They left happy, impressed and sad they didn't live here.

I always do the tree Course Table d’Hôte – Your Choice of Appetizer, of Mid and of Main course when I go. My personal favourite is the Charcuterie, Arugula Salad (best salad ever!) and you may have guessed it - the duck. The wine pairing is great too, they give excellent choices.

My husband loves the burger, frites and the duck too. Honestly, you can't go wrong here! Recommended to EVERYONE!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank krysd
“Misleading”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

As someone who dines out in an eclectic array of cuisines, Id like to say that I have an educated opinion with regards to what a restaurant should offer, based upon their reputation, menu, website, etc otherwise it feels like false advertising and you can end up wasting your time.

This place was less than adequate. We felt as though the service was sub-par and did not feel very welcome. I have been accustomed to a plethora of fine dining, yet the portion sizes served here with the accompanied prices, did NOT meet my satisfaction.

In saying that the food itself is nothing to complain about, but at the same time nothing to write home about. The drinks there are unique, but unless youre a 25 or under kid that is just trying to go for the faux pas of the overrated drink Absinthe, than I would suggest just sticking to something classic, as they do have a fairly stocked bar.

The ambiance is "different", to me it has more of a cheaper feel to it, as if youre at an underground university bar that the blue collared art students bought and went to town on decorating.

At the end of the day if you have tried every place in the city and are on strung out on LSD, maybe then you should crawl into this hole of a place on Wellington St so that you wont feel so uncomfortable socializing with the rest of society that is too stuck up on being "classy"
There are several other places that you could spend your time and money at for a much better experience.

2 Thank Isaac_President
Absinthe_Manager, General Manager at Absinthe, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
It is very difficult to respond to a review when there are no specific complaints that I could act on. The one thing I will say is that the reviewer is perhaps the first person to complain about portion sizes.

The reviewer initially attached an image to this review that was not from our restaurant, and the image was removed by TripAdvisor after we complained.