“Yummy pork belly and scallops”
Review of Absinthe

Absinthe
Ranked #4 of 2,870 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Absinthe is a Restaurant where you can eat too much, drink too much, put your elbows on the table and laugh out loud... all at the same time and nobody cares. Absinthe is a restaurant of the people for the people.
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I went with a party of 10 on a Saturday night for a birthday dinner. The restaurant is dim. When we first arrived, there were 3 other tables occupied, 1 was a party of 8 while the other 2 were couples. As the tables start to be occupied, it became very noisy like a pub. We had to short across the table to chat. I wonder if it has something to do with the interior structure of the restaurant, high ceiling, etc, which amplified sounds.

My boyfriend and I shared a charcuterie plate for appetizer. The bison terrine and the porcetta were yummy. But I didn't care much for the celery Root remoulade as it was a little too tart for my liking.

The appetizers were served a short while after our order. But the main course took almost an hour to arrive. Thankfully, it was a weekend dinner party and we were busy chatting with each other.

I ordered pork belly with scallops. The pork belly was well seasoned and tender. The scallops were cooked just right and they were delicious. My boyfriend ordered Steak Frites. The beef was perfect medium rare and the fries came with a wasabi / horse radish dipping sauce.

The servers were courteous and efficient, attentive without being overbearing. They were constantly topping up the bottle of water at the table. The food service was slow. well, as long as you are not in a hurry and is patient enough to wait for good food, then give Absinthe a try.

Overall, we enjoyed the food, despite the slow service. And yes, Absinthe is on our repeat list.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Meal was okay but given that i waited 1 hour for my dinner to arrive, I guess I was so hungry I would eat anything. Waited 35 minutues after we finished eating to be asked if we wanted dessert. Only a few tables with patrons that night so would hate to see what it would be like if full. Lots of other better choices in the neighbourhood

1  Thank trip365
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I visited Absinthe with a girlfriend for after-work drinks and ended up staying for hours. Server was knowledgeable, attentive and we didn't feel rushed. 5 star service. I discovered "czech absinthe" presentation was sublime.

Absinthe_Manager, General Manager at Absinthe, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Hi CapCityNomad,

Glad you enjoyed your after work drinks! Thank you for taking the time to let us know you had a good time, and thanks for the positive feedback. I've shared it with our serving staff, and they were very appreciative. We look forward to your next visit!

Cheers!

Thomas McVeigh
General Manager, Absinthe

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I went with a large group, which I expect affected the speed of service, but I found the pace was interminable. When we were finally asked for our meal orders one of my colleagues was told she'd have to wait an hour and fifteen minutes for her meal because she hasn't ordered an appetizer or a middle course.

Although I wouldn't say the wait was exactly worth it, the food *was* delicious. I had the arugula salad and the steak frites followed by the chocolate fondant. Yummy!

No one else really minded that we were there for three hours, so for those who have nothing else to do but enjoy a leisurely supper this place is for you.

1  Thank MSH1867
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Absinthe has long been a favorite of ours but usually for lunch. Last night we went for dinner and it was wonderful. Patrick Garland, the chef/owner is known for his unfailing excellence with fish and his preparation of lightly seared tuna with kimchi and a tempura fried bok choy was a revelation. The tuna was perfect, rare but not gelatinous and the accompanying vegetables were an excellent match. The appetisers were original and lovely to behold: quail with a slightly oriental touch, a beet salad that included smoked and pickled beets,an apple beignet and a creme fraiche tart - again beautifully presented. The wine list is interesting and as each dish comes with a recommended wine pairing at a reasonable cost, provides the diner with some very good choices. The atmosphere was calm, the seating comfortable and the service efficient but never appeared hurried. It was nice to be able to carry on a conversation without unwelcome loud music forcing guests to shout.
My only regret is that we couldn't try more of the dishes.
Great value and only 10 minutes from downtown Ottawa.