“Long Wait Good Food”

Ranked #4 of 2,840 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Absinthe is a Restaurant where you can eat too much, drink too much, put your elbows on the table and laugh out loud... all at the same time and nobody cares. Absinthe is a restaurant of the people for the people.
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I went with a large group, which I expect affected the speed of service, but I found the pace was interminable. When we were finally asked for our meal orders one of my colleagues was told she'd have to wait an hour and fifteen minutes for her meal because she hasn't ordered an appetizer or a middle course.

Although I wouldn't say the wait was exactly worth it, the food *was* delicious. I had the arugula salad and the steak frites followed by the chocolate fondant. Yummy!

No one else really minded that we were there for three hours, so for those who have nothing else to do but enjoy a leisurely supper this place is for you.

1  Thank MSH1867

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Absinthe has long been a favorite of ours but usually for lunch. Last night we went for dinner and it was wonderful. Patrick Garland, the chef/owner is known for his unfailing excellence with fish and his preparation of lightly seared tuna with kimchi and a tempura fried bok choy was a revelation. The tuna was perfect, rare but not gelatinous and the accompanying vegetables were an excellent match. The appetisers were original and lovely to behold: quail with a slightly oriental touch, a beet salad that included smoked and pickled beets,an apple beignet and a creme fraiche tart - again beautifully presented. The wine list is interesting and as each dish comes with a recommended wine pairing at a reasonable cost, provides the diner with some very good choices. The atmosphere was calm, the seating comfortable and the service efficient but never appeared hurried. It was nice to be able to carry on a conversation without unwelcome loud music forcing guests to shout.
My only regret is that we couldn't try more of the dishes.
Great value and only 10 minutes from downtown Ottawa.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Last night, i ate at Absinthe with my girlfriend. I had not been in a long while and was most pleasantly surprised. Wow!! The service is professional, efficient and nice. The menu is not too large which i appreciate (it means the chef is concentrated on these dishes). A good martini and a lovely glass of Prosecco started the evening and we were brought 4 lovely complimentary small gougères. The appetizers are huge and delicious. I had the beet salad - smoked beets, pickled beets on some leek oil, a small chèvre and crème fraiche tart and an apple beignet - it sounded like an odd combo but together it was so, so good. My friend had the quail appetizer....also delicious. I had steak frites (because i'm addicted to steak frites). A perfectly done, super tender piece of steak sat on some beautiful green beans with a little pottery bowl of frites with aioli. Absolutely yummy. What i also liked about my plate was that it looked 'honest' - not tampered with but simply nicely laid out. My friend had perfectly cooked tuna. The wine list has some reasonably priced wines. What a great restaurant. Bravo to the owner, chefs and servers - you made for a really nice evening.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

It was o.k.; my husband and I tried Steak & Frites which we love to eat in France. Here is was "a Steak & French Fries" - nothing special. A bit pretentious. Haven't been back; may be different now.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a neat spot, probably more similar to places on Queen W. in Toronto than to anywhere else in Ottawa. Menu can be a bit pricey, but you're generally getting what you pay for, with quality food and interesting options all throughout the menu. The only downside for travellers is that it's a bit outside of downtown, but it's not a long drive from downtown, even by Ottawa standards.