“A nice and fun experience at Absinthe”
Review of Absinthe

Absinthe
Ranked #10 of 2,900 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Absinthe is a Restaurant where you can eat too much, drink too much, put your elbows on the table and laugh out loud... all at the same time and nobody cares. Absinthe is a restaurant of the people for the people.
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I went with my family at the beginning of August for a normal meal in a decent restaurant that was recommended to us. It turned out to be an amazing experience at a culinary level and service wise. We were greeted by our waiter Naj, in a very heart fell way like he was having us over at his own place. He took the time to explain the menu to us giving us description on the different plates as well as the way it would be presented. He then told us about the wine and the bottles they had and made us try 3 different bottles before we chose the right one. They have a table d'hôte with the choice of an entrée, a soup or salad and a main dish or the choice of soup or salad, a main dish and a desert. Being foodies we wanted to try out everything so my dad and my mom took the first option and my sister and I took the second option with the deserts. Before receiving our entrées they brought us an amuse- bouche that was a cold tomato soup in little cup with basil on top. OMG! Then we share escargot gratin and a plate of charcuterie. Then on to the main dishes. My sister and I had the hamburger with the duck poutine. OMG OMG OMG. It was absolutely D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S and we both had a foodgasm!!! The texture, the freshness, the presentation, absolutely everything was perfect. Naj was always making sure our glasses of wine were filled and was also making sure our experience was enjoyable. We ask about the chef, the restaurant and he explained us about where the food came from and even went to the kitchen to show us the tomatoes that the restaurant buys and the freshness of their products. That guy is what I call PASSIONNATE!!! He made our experience the best we had in a long long time. Afterwards, even though we were all full, we insisted on taking desert. So we share the profiteroles and took the chocolate tart back with us at the hotel. Naj was so friendly and caring that he even came outside with us to help us find a taxi. What a service. I'm telling you, go to that restaurant you will not be disappointed! To the contrary you'll have an extraordinary culinary experience. Enjoy and say hi to Naj for us!

1  Thank Sarita450

Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is the place to go for fine food, great service and a truly memorable evening. Dress up or down and you will still feel perfect for the evening. I took my best friend here for her fiftieth birthday and we had an amazing evening. The service was truly extraordinary. I mentioned that it was my friend's fiftieth birthday when I made my on line reservation and shortly after our arrival we were welcomed to our table and both served a complimentary kir royal. Then to finish our evening we were served a complimentary desert that was a chocolate lovers dream with happy birthday written around the plate. In between all that we dined on food prepared and served to perfection, the waiter's recommendations were exact, honest and perfect for us. The wine paring stirred our pallets and brought out the complexities in each of the courses. We were never rushed and in talking to the staff there was a sense of family and appreciation of the way the business was run that made us feel so good to be there. .

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We were in Ottawa for our anniversary and were looking for a place to eat. We read the reviews for this restaurant on here and took a chance. We called and made a reservation and were shocked that it wasn't busier. We were sat right away and it went nice to excellent. The recommendations were great- the knowledge was awesome and the service was amazing! The wine pairing was good and the food was fantastic. We were pleasantly surprised at every turn and were left wanting to return for another wonderful evening.

1  Thank shawnlaven
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Wait staff are extremely knowledgeable about the food on the menu and the wine pairings. Unbelievable combinations. I had a heritage tomato salad and amazing chilled corn soup with two great wine pairings. Loved interacting with the wait staff and great beats played in te background. A must if you live or are visiting Ottawa!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Five of us...seniors to teenagers and inbetween spent several hours enjoying the wonderful fare at this restaurant..We were greeted warmly and seated at a table that unfortunately had the blinding sun setting in our eyes...but only momentarily. We were asked if we wished a change but knew this sunset would be brief. Drinks arrived promptly and the menu explained in detail by a great foodie waiter....so very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Everyone yummed their way through the appys as well as the mains...then on to desserts and a cap off of Absinthe artfully prepared at the table.All dishes were shared and we agreed that this was excellent dining indeed. We were made to feel that the food we were being served was special and that WE were special as well. Some of us were from 'out of town' and were first-timers there.....cannot wait to return.Congratulations to Absinthe for exceeding expectations. This is a wonderful restaurant.
ps...Happy 30th to our amazing waiter