“Excellent in all Respecrts”
Review of Absinthe

Absinthe
Ranked #10 of 3,155 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Absinthe is a Restaurant where you can eat too much, drink too much, put your elbows on the table and laugh out loud... all at the same time and nobody cares. Absinthe is a restaurant of the people for the people.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My daughter and son-in-law recently had their wedding reception at Absinthe. So this may not be the regular kind of review, but they did such a fine job with 75 people that I would like to recognize the good work.

We had the full place to ourselves, with a cocktail reception and sit down meal with a selection of a few appetizers and mains. The sliders and other canapés at the reception were excellent and the sliders in particular got great reviews. The tomato/chevrochon salad and the chilled velouté soup were also excellent. The beef filet main and salmon main were cooked just right.......hard to do especially to nail the beef at medium rare for about 60 people. Hats off to the chef and staff!!

Dessert was a chocolate fondant and crème brulée, just the right size.

Tom and the staff did a fabulous job of the service, it flowed just right and the small details were looked after eg.wine top-ups etc. Attentive but not intrusive.

I know it may seem I am basking in the glow of a wedding, but I have been to weddings where the food and service was just passable; Absinthe really aced this evening, well done!!

Date of visit: September 2011
1  Thank LRider

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Absinthe is our favourite restaurant in Ottawa and would rate equally high against Montreal (i.e. food mecca!) establishments. While the menu varies seasonally the house specialties are always available, adding to the difficulties of choosing between the new offerings and old favourites. The wine list is well chosen and includes imports not at LCBO that are not over-priced.
Service is attentive with an imaginative sampler thrown in to start off the evening where even on busy nights you are never rushed. Reservation times and requested table locations are well respected; street parking is generally not a problem; so expect a hassle-free, pleasant dining experience at Absinthe!

Date of visit: July 2011
1  Thank Ann_Carol
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My guest and I went for dinner at Absinthe expecting novel cuisine and a pleasant atmosphere. The service was efficient and the prices moderate (i.e. $20-$30 for an entree), but the quality of the food was very mixed. My steak was tough and stringy and the accompanying frites were overdone. My guest's fillet was good but her potatoes also were unappetizing. The beer selection was limited to locally brewed drafts and these were not very good. The dining room was sponge painted in burnt orange and purple. The tables are fairly close together, even though the room is large. Overall, it was not what we had hoped for. Not a bad restaurant, but not one to encourage return visits, either.

Date of visit: September 2011
1  Thank insinc
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Located in the heart of the Parkdale Market area, Absinthe attracts a lot of 'street attention'. Perhaps it is the candlelight or the relaxed but cool decor. But once you step inside and actually enjoy a meal here, it is a dining experience, not just a dinner.

We went to Absinthe for our anniversary dinner last week. The menu I believe changes daily or weekly, I can't remember which as we were torn between the Wellington Gastropub or Absinthe. What swung it for us? The menu at Absinthe. My partner is very picky and there are a lot of things she will not eat. The menu was smaller and compact with a smart selection of meat, fish, poultry, vegetarian or downright decadent. I went decadent :)

The duck was out of this world, as a main course it was a duck breast with a side of Foie Gras. Now I am not a huge fan of the Gras, but it would be criminal to not at least try it. It was pretty special, although the image of what happens when foie gras is obtained was in my head, so it stayed on the plate. The breast however was probably the most succulent duck I have ever had. There was a lovely char on the outside, not a fatty chewy texture, but a smoky, lovely crunch. The duck totally rocked.

I also had as a starter their charcuterie plate. It was a symphony of mustards, duck, veal, tartare, sausage and pates. Lovely.

To end the meal we had a liquid desert, of course, so much more interesting than the sweet one, I indulged in an irish coffee which was a really lovely end to the meal and they knew how to make the cream float.

A gem in the Parkdale Market/Westboro neighbourhood.

Date of visit: August 2011
6  Thank FrancesFC
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I've only been here once, but I really wasn't that impressed.

I ordered a burger with pulled-duck poutine. The burger was not very good and I couldn't really eat it. The poutine was okay. I also tried bites of friends' meals and nothing seemed great. My meal was actually a good value for that type of restaurant, but everything else seemed pricey for the quality of the food.

Our waitress was a bit weird, but overall service was pretty good.

Date of visit: May 2011