“Delicious ramen”

Ginza Ramen & Sushi & Sake
Ranked #1,098 of 2,765 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Japanese
Description: Ottawa's First Authentic Ramen restuarant and Japanese grill, also providing a selection of oysters,sushi and pho noodle
“Delicious ramen”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Small restaurant (seats 30) with a small menu (11 items), decor is unassuming and tasteful. Wait staff are very nice, friendly and attentive. This was our first visit and also the first time eating ramen in a public establishment.

We had the Chicken Gyoza and Yakitori (on bone) for starters. Both were good but nothing out of the ordinary. I had the spicy Tonkotsu ramen which was super yum. I polished it off leaving no broth behind. This has some good heat to it and will leave you sweating by the time you're done. I love spicy so this will likely become a "go to" for me.

My wife had the Shio ramen which she enjoyed. She actually liked the broth which is saying something as she is not a soup person. I tried it as well but I'm hooked on the spicy ramen.

We finished things off with Mochi ice cream which is to die for. There's a very good chance we'll be stopping by Ginza Ramen just for ice cream. We tried the black sesame and mango which were a wonderful treat. This was our first time trying Mochi ice cream and it won't be the last!

1 Thank JonoCono

“Best Ramen Ever!”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

This place has authentic ramen. I went with my partner last night and loved it. We had Edamame which was super! Chicken gyoza (amazing)!

Now for the ramen. I had the vegetarian miso. It was so damn good! Excellent portions too! I had ramen left even after stuffing myself.

My partner had the spicy ramen and it was really spicy. Very tasty. Comes with a neat little wooden ladle as well.

So I think that if you haven't had Ramen, try it! Just once.

My partner also tried the Elgin location and indicated that they have excellent sushi and mixed cocktails. Somerset does not yet have it's liquor license, but we were assured that that would get sorted out soon.

YUM!

2 Thank Ann H
“Small menu”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The restaurant is small and so is the menu. It offers 6 choices of ramen and 4 appetizers.

We ordered edamame and gyoza for appetizers and spicy tonkatsu ramen for mains. The gyoza was average. The size of the ramen bowl is small by Vietnamese standards. The soup was very tasty and rich. I would have preferred that the chef removed the layer of oil floating on the soup be removed serving. The pork belly was tender and delicious. The egg was too salty for my liking.

Overall, I enjoyed the ramen and broth, and would have drunk it all up if not for the thick layer of oil floating on top. Considering that this is the first ramen in Ottawa that is a tat closer to the real Japanese ramen, I would come back again.

Toronto, Canada
“Mediocre - should've just had pho!”
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

$30 for 2 ramen bowls.
Ramen was below standard to me. Did not like the fact that our table had drops of ramen soup from previous customers. The place wasn't even busy so there was no excuse to have customers sit at a dirty table!
I did not like the mushrooms in the soup - must be portobello maybe and not the type you'd expect in a ramen bowl.
I saw the cook take the ramen noodle out of a plastic pack so i guess it's not home made noodles
....not that I was expecting this.
Broth is okay, nothing special.
The worst part of the meal was the 'pork belly'. These were just flabs of pork belly meat with no meat on....basically 90% fat. Do they really expect customers to eat this? The decor is ok.

The Hakata bowl comes with half an egg. It was stale and cold and wasn't cooked on the spot. Ugh. We left this untouched.

Chicken karaage (friend chicken) was sold out at 7pm. Resto wasn't packed - maybe 6 other people. They might've sold out at lunch but really - you couldn't go restock for chicken after the lunch rush? Not impressed since their menu is tiny as well (which I appreciate).

Not impressed overall. I could live with the mediocre service and food but the pork belly was a complete turn off.

I heard this place just opened so I expected better especially since they already have a location on Elgin. I find it a bit disrespectful actually to serve customers 90% fat pork belly. Hope they get better but I won't be back and wouldn't recommend this place. I now need a bowl of pho.

3 Thank stroumpfer