“What a mess!”

Downtown Bed and Breakfast & Spa
Ranked #21 of 53 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed at this B&B in Summer 2012 while I was in Ottawa for a conference. If the conference had not already set up these accommodations on my behalf I would have left immediately. The facilities are a complete mess, with junk EVERYWHERE. And I don't mean clutter, I mean garbage - piles of papers, random empty boxes, a pile of old corn cobs (seriously).

Myself and my colleagues had a lot of work to do in the afternoons / evenings and it was very kind of the owners to allow us to use the dining room to do so. However, the owners seemed to think that the time that we were in the dining room was time to sit down and regale us random facts and personal stories about nothing and everything (despite our clear body language that we were there to work, and did not have time to socialize with the owner for hours) - several about Ottawa that we knew to be untrue. Don't listen to these 'experts'!

I have never been to a B&B that serves just toast and cold cereal for breakfast, with instant coffee. I understand that the toast is supposedly from an expensive bakery - but really, they could get cheaper bread and cook a hot breakfast. Although, having written that, I don't believe I would want to eat anything that was actually cooked there - the pictures that others have listed of the kitchen are accurate.

I have travelled all over the world and have stayed at many low (or no) star accommodations. I am by no means a person that needs to stay in fancy hotels. However, in Ottawa I would expect a higher level of cleanliness and service at the rate we were charged ($50-60 a night for a room shared with someone I didn't know).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Dell M

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have been regularly visiting Downtown B&B. Siri and Hari are fabulous hosts and Disney... should rightly be named Dizzy! We love the new paint! It looks fabulous.

The Spa is clean, the beds are comfortable and the breakfast was always a yummy treat. I love the bread!

Siri is a talented masseuse and my husband was suffering from tennis elbow for two months prior to our visit, she must be magic because she seems to have fixed his arm! He can actually use it today!

We look forward to our next visit, only this time, I'm getting a massage too!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lola_01, Manager at Downtown Bed and Breakfast & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Thank-you for your kind review.
We just love positive people!
By the way next time you come please bring us some of your great Pepperfire chocolates. We love your sauces and use them often.
Lola

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I felt so bad for the other visitors to this B&B, they were from outside North America and I hope that this was not the only accomodations they had in Canada, or their view of us will be soured. The accomodations are sparse at best, everywhere you look there is boxes, dirty dishes, storage in public places. Never again, we left after the first night, did not feel comfortable at all.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Irene P

We are sorry you are unhappy with your stay in our beautiful gracious century home overlooking the Canadian Museum of Nature.

All of our guests have the right of refusal. You may leave anytime. You chose to stay.
Your body language is nothing if you are involved in conversing with the owner. A simple, "We have to get back to work," would have closed the conversation. We are all grown-ups here.

Our breakfast is listed as vegetarian continental. In summer breakfast consists of: fresh local melons, orange juice, 5 cereals, locavore bread with unsalted butter and jam, your choice of 26 teas, and yes, instant coffee. We have tried presse, perk, drip and every other kind of coffee with a 50% approval rate. Surprisingly to us, instant coffee has a 90% approval rate from our guests. All beverages and water are purified by reverse osmosis. There are 3 Starbucks 1, Second Cup, 2 Bridgehead and several independent coffee shops within a 5 minute walk from here. The world is at your fingertips and coffee is inexpensive.

We state clearly that we serve a vegetarian continental breakfast. We don't advertise one thing then deliver another.

You make it sound like the Downtown Bed and Breakfast placed a stranger in your room. The roommate issue should be taken up with your work group who made your room arrangements.

You could see that the kitchen was under construction. We are grateful to report that the boxes containing kitchen items that are now long gone! This was a temporary situation, for a permanent solution.

Lola

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I had a great experience at this B&B. The owners were very welcoming and took time to see what our interests were and give recommendations around the city. I felt right at home at this cozy and comfortable B&B! I highly recommend it if you are looking for a comfortable stay close to the downtown area. The B&B is also close to the canal if you are interested in running, biking or walking. I would recommend this place to family and friends. I hope you enjoy your stay!
Paige

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paige M
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I spent my last week of a three week trip staying here, and it was a really good way to end our holiday. The hosts were really welcoming and took time to talk to us properly and recommend local things we should see and do/ helped us find them on the map and gave us directions. Particularly helpful as it meant we found out about free museum entry times which we wouldn't have known about otherwise. The house is perfect walking distance from most places you'd want to go (we only had to get a bus once). This place has a much more homely feel than any hotels we stayed at, which was really nice as we were getting to the end of our trip and were starting to miss home comforts. Also really great if you want to travel on a budget, as the rooms are very comfortable for the money and included breakfast means that's one less thing you need to pay for when you go out. You'll appreciate this when you get to Ottawa and realise how mind-blowingly expensive everything is! The only thing we missed a little was not having a TV in the room. Unless you've got a problem with dogs (they have one) I'd say this is a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of days recently.

the b&b is in a good location, but that is pretty much what was the only good thing about this place.

Breakfast consisted of instant coffee, two slices of toast with butter and jam, various cereals, milk, and bland orange juice. The bread was actually delicious. I expected much more for a breakfast. Right after leaving in the morning i went for breakfast at a nearby coffee shop.

the room was Nice and clean but definately outdated. No tv in the room. The bed uncomfortable and the pillows quite flat.
The one thing that bothered me the most was the amount of clutter in the house. The kitchens were so cluttered. There was no real access to any kitchen facility.

pros: Nice hosts, location, price.
Cons: cluttered, no real access to any kitchen, toast for breakfast, uncomfortable bed.

In general i would say to avoid this place.

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank bokkes
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was my second stay at the Downtown B&B. It is such a great, old-style home, that is cozy and comfortable. Compared to staying at hotels, which I usually do, I really enjoy feeling "at home". There is a central dinning room where you sit with other guests over good breakfasts, with teas and coffee always available. The host couple Siri and Hari are always friendly, and helpful - get ready to make new friends! It is also at a great location; you can walk to restaurants, cafes, shopping or the wonderful canal that runs through Ottawa. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business