“Trendy boutique hotel in business district.”
Review of The Metcalfe Hotel

The Metcalfe Hotel
Ranked #18 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed February 19, 2011

I booked this hotel for a business trip based on reviews here and was not disappointed. The hotel is quite modern using a bright colour palette and contemporary furniture. Each room has a feature wall of a photo... mine was a wheat field... which surprisingly isn't overwhelming. The bathroom was spacious and featured a seperate shower which I love. However, you had to take care on how you close the door so water doesn't leak all over the place. The bed was so comfortable though and my corner room had loads of light. Staff were great... both on reception and in the restaurant. I'd order there and have it delivered in good time to the room. And a late check out was given without a hesitation.

I only had to small negatives. First, the internet. Its free, but in the room it is wired. This meant I had to do work, watch a DVD with my laptop on the small desk. Not sure why all hotels don't offer wireless these days.

Second, when I booked I asked and was given the government rate. Shortly afterwards I found the hotel room had a better price on the website available to all. I felt that whether you ask for a specific rate, if a better one is available its only courtesy to offer it. I got it in the end.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,094)

Reviewed February 8, 2011

I was in Ottawa to do some consulting work. The company I was working with had put me up at Indigo. I was impressed as I entered the lobby, a large airy space that was well decorated and featured a beautiful atrium. From there things began to slide.

The front desk clerks were leaning on the desk having a chat with eachother as i approached. I had to wait for a gap in their conversation and clear my throat before they greeted me. I was checked in with can only be discribed as cold efficiency and given my room key.

Getting off the elevator my eyes were drawn to the atrium but the view was hindered by plexiglass barriers that were disgustingly dirty (smears, fingerprints, caked on dirt etc). Looking past this the window sills of guest rooms were visible with black dirt outside each one (this is inside the hotel not outside windows). Not a great first impression.

My room was functional with a nice bathroom with a glass shower and nice (if not common) Aveda bath products. The decor of the room could be described as distracting. First the floors, they are cheap laminate with a very soft underlay which makes it feel like you are walking on water, very spongy and frankly uncomfortable. The bedroom featured a huge wall sized mural, it was very distracting and frankly ugly. Not sure how this would be described, picture blades of grass that are 6 feet long and made into wallpaper, weird. I tried to get over the interior by looking out the window, which had metal wires running through it. I felt like I was in a prison. I slept on top of the bedspread as I had no comfort, considering the cleanliness of the hotel, that things were properly cleaned.

The restaurant is more glorified cafeteria than formal dining, in fact my client suggested we have breakfast at another small hotel just around the corner .

I had invited my partner to join me in Ottawa for the weekend for Winterlude a big winter celebration in the city. I could not picture staying an additional night at Indigo so I made reservations at the hotel around the corner where I had breakfast.

I was so happy to leave this hotel, I will never again return and could not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ChequeMark
Reviewed February 7, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed one night for Winterlude and we just loved this motel. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We were given the wrong room (Queen instead of King), and the front desk set it straight within seconds with no hassle. They asked if they could give us direstions or help us find tourist attractions and were more than happy to give us a highlighted map. The rooms were clean, gotta love the hardwood floors. The bed was fantastic, very comfortable, I have never slept so well in a motel before. The rooms were very soundproof. The quality of the mint toiletries were fantastic. I just wanted to lay in bed all day is this beautiful room. It felt very home-like.The location was close to everything, plus they had a Tim Hortons right on site. It is a fair walk (about 20 mins) to the Byward Market, but it's do-able. The only downsides to this hotel I found were the parking..you have to park in a very tight, very small underground parking garage 3rd floor down. Took a bit to find the motel and hike all our stuff upstairs, and the size of the room was a bit smaller than I expected from looking at the website pictures. Very small things overall. A great stay we will definately be staying again!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanadianGirl4584
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay experience with us at Hotel Indigo. Our goal is to deliver inspired service and I am so happy this was the case for you and your boyfriend.

We want our guests to feel like they are at home and it sounds like we accomplished that for you! I am so glad you found the hotel to be so quiet, your room so comfortable and the staff so helpful. I hope you had the chance to enjoy all that Winterlude has to offer while you were here!

We look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next trip to Ottawa.

In hospitality

Kim Jones

Reviewed January 31, 2011

I stayed at a series of hotels in downtown Ottawa over the course of several job interviews. Of the ones I stayed at, this was my favourite.

Good Location
I would recommend this hotel for both business travelers and tourists. It is central to downtown Ottawa, Parliament, City Hall, and the Court House. It is also close to the restaurants on Elgin and about a 5-10 minute walk from the Market.

Modern, Quiet, Nice Furnishings
The hotel is relatively new having replaced the insides of an older building in the city. I had a large inside room with ample space (the windows look out into the courtyard).
Sound was not an issue. Everything was new, fresh, comfortable and quiet.

Room service was slightly above average from what I experienced at near-by competitors.

Parking
Parking is par for the course for downtown Ottawa though the lot was a bit difficult to navigate compared to the nearby World Exchange Centre. Be aware that parking is free in the core on weekends.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2011

This hotel has a great location in the heart of Ottawa. My room was clean, comfortable and welcoming. Delivers value for money. The front desk staff were knowledgable and friendly. As a woman traveling alone, I felt very safe withnthe hotel andmthe location. I will stay there again when I return to Ottawa.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Benji026
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I booked two nights through priceline with my girlfriend to visit family and scored an excellent deal of $70/night the weekend before winterlude. At this price it was a bargain. You are three blocks south of parliament and steps from the city hall/rideau canal. the lobby area is large and exotic with very courteous front desk and house-keeping staff. i stayed in a King room on the second floor that faced in the inside of the hotel which was a drag but at the price it was not an inconvienience (except the blinds did not quite cover the whole window and people could possibly peer in from the outside lobby area) the room was small but not too small. the washrooms were beautiful, great showerhead and marbel sink. the toilet was right next tot he door so if you are a larger person it will be difficult. Unlike other reviewers i found the rooms to be quite quiet frm room to room but you can here the hussle and bussle from the hallway but it was not a great inconvienience.

overall the two nights were fantastic for the price i paid...shop around before you pay the sticker price!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2011

The hotel is very clean and has a great location - smack downtown financial area of Ottawa, 7 min walk to Byward or anywhere on Elign St, decent decor, staff friendly etc. But the negatives are something I am not sure I can go over lightly for another return to this hotel: lack of soundproofing and the view. The way the hotel is build is such that it is basically a square with some rooms looking outward and some looking into the hotel. The location/ positioned doesn't make it easy to provide every room with access to natural light or even a decent view for that matter and I am sure some patrons don't mind, but for us it was either have view at the library with some natural light coming in but face the reception with the door and hear every sound happening from underneath it, or the view of the reception area but better soundproofing as the room was tucked in behind the hallway. Neither is really a winner as ideally you would want both, but we opted for no natural light but with less noise.
The price was ok as we got it through friends and family hotel discount (under $100/ night) and for that it was great as we needed proximity to the Arts Center and the market plus we toot advantage of the whirlpool, gym and sauna, but had we paid the regular price I would not have been very satisfied overall.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adamo_Poeta

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. Our goal is to deliver inspired service and I sincerely apologize this was not the case for you.

Our hotel is located in the heart of Ottawa's downtown core and the positive of this is it is in such a great location for shopping, dining and the arts, however, it is lacking a good view because of the location.

If you wish to discuss your stay further, I would be more than happy to have you contact me directly at the hotel by dialling 613-231-6555.

Yours in hospitality,