“Interesting Hotel, Mod Decor, Smallish Rooms”
Review of The Metcalfe Hotel

The Metcalfe Hotel
Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Western North Carolina
“Interesting Hotel, Mod Decor, Smallish Rooms”
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We spend a weekend night at the Indigo and were generally pleased. The location is great, although the downtown area of Ottawa DIES on weekends, the streets are pretty empty, and most restaurants and coffee shops close early or for the entire weekend. However, Parliament Hill and the Byward marker area are only a 10 - 15 walk. Ottawa's excellent public transportation is easily accessible from the hotel.

The hotel is a well-remodeled older building, and the interior design is quite mod, with the Indigo color scheme everywhere (If you don't like blue, you must eschew.) There is a central atrium which brings lots of light right down to the center of the lobby (except when it's heavily overcast, of course). The rooms are a bit small and the ceilings a bit low. If you are over 6'3" or are a big person, you're going to feel claustrophobic. Note that some rooms have windows that look only on the atrium. Also, ask for a high floor, as the hotel is on a busy urban street corner.

We were tired after a long day on our feet, and decided to just eat in the hotel's restaurant, Phi. We were pleasantly surprised. Dinner was well prepared and served. Breakfast was also good, and, as at dinner, the menu was quite diverse.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FrenchBroadCabin
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2009
Thanks so much for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us at Hotel Indigo! It is the comments we hear from our guests that helps us to continuously improve upon our product and service.

I'm happy you found our location to be so ideal during your stay in Ottawa and that you enjoyed the decor of our rooms. Yes, we do like our blue at Hotel Indigo! Were you able to experience the blue glow of the atrium in the evenings? It is quite spectacular.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Ottawa and we look forward to in.viting you back on your next visit.

Kim Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Stay one night via our trip to Quebec. Location is ok. Booked on line without problems for reasonable price, and I was not disappointed. Service was good, staff were friendly. Enjoyed the pool, but hot-tab was broken.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2009
Thanks so much for providing your feedback on your recent stay with us! It is the comments we receive from our guests like yourself that allow us to continuously improve upon our service and product. I am happy your found our staff to be friendly and that the service was good. I apologize the hot tub was not working and I am looking into that with the maintenance department right away.

I hope you enjoyed your trip in Quebec and we look forward to in.viting you back to Hotel indigo on your next visit to Ottawa.

General Manger
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Hotel Indigo was available to be booked with traveler points through Intercontinental Hotel Group so our stay at this gorgeous hotel was free. We stayed 5 nights and could not have been more pleased. The hotel is beautiful with clean design, contemporary and beautiful rooms. VERY comfortable beds, upscale linens and decor. Our bed even sported several pillows, each a different fill--nice touch! I did not find the staff to be overly friendly, and would have preferred to hear a "hello" from them at times but that's just me. Our first day we had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, service was horrible and the food was lacking...the fruit cup I ordered looked to be right out of a can...and we had to hunt someone down to get our check. That aside, the location can't be beat. Just a few short blocks to Parliament Hill, Sparks Street, etc. You are truly in the "hub" of Ottawa in this heavenly hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank onthemove22
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
onthemove22,

Thank you for providing your feedback with regards to your stay with us. It is always nice to have Priority Club Members stay with us at Hotel Indigo! It is the feedback we receive from our guests that allows us to continuously improve upon the product and service.

I am happy you were so comfortable in your guest room and found the location to be so ideal for your visit to Ottawa. We are definitely in a good location for sightseeing around downtown Ottawa.

I was very disappointed to read your comment about the lack of friendliness in our staff. We have an amazing team here at Hotel Indigo and I am so sorry that you did not experience that. I will remind our In.bassadors the importance of ensuring that each and every guest enjoys the in.credible hospitality that I know they can provide.

I'm also unsure what happened with your breakfast as the fruit salad is usually quite good (I often eat it myself). I will follow up with our restaurant manager to find out what happened that day and ensure they are always providing their usual fresh fruit salad.

Again I would like to thank you for your comments and should you wish to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at Hotel Indigo. We look forward to inviting you back on your next trip to Ottawa!

Yours in.hospitality,

Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I picked the Indigo Hotel because it seemed perfect for the type of hotel we would enjoy, and I was not disappointed. We loved it!!! We stayed in a suite which was perfect for us and my 12 year old daughter. We had a completely separate bedroom and she had the spacious living area to herself. We loved the dark laminate flooring- very, very nice for a hotel. The furnishings and decorations were beautiful and tasteful. The bathroom was tiny, but we did not mind. The shower was awesome!

My daughter and I really enjoyed the pool and hot tub- the pool area was very nice and clean, and with the glass ceiling, it was very bright. We did not use it, but they had a nice fitness center also.

We went to the Phi restaurant twice- for breakfast and dinner, and it was very good and beautifully decorated. The lobby is big and spacious and beautiful. The layout of the hotel lobby which is 6 stories high, is very different and captivating. I loved the indigo lights in the evening.

I would not hesitate to stay there again if I ever visit Ottawa. Beautiful. Also, the staff were very friendly and helpful. I have not one negative thing to say about Hotel Indigo.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank darlenemary
Indigo08, Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2009
Thanks so much for providing your feedback on your recent stay with us! Reading the comments we receive from guests like yourself provides us with the feedback we require to continuously improve upon our product and service. And I especially love to read such in.spiring stories such as yours! I am so happy you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to in.viting you back again.

P.S. I love your photos of our 6 Story Atrium!

General Manger
UK
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Very warm welcome and a fantastic hotel with friendly staff, parking is under the hotel and good value. position is ideal for city centre and sites. Rooms are large clean and hotel has everything you will need.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Philwilltravel
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 13, 2009

We stayed at Indigo for the second time. The room is good size, however, it was smaller than the room we had on our first stay. The bed is confortable. The amenities are great, they provide Aveda products. We will surely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed May 13, 2009

This place is very clean (no ugly suspecios looking carpet or bed). Very nice and quite. Service was perfect and employees are kind. If I go back to Ottawa I'm sure to go there and if I visit a city I'll look for an Indigo Hotel.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple