“Very nice hotel - short walk from Parliament hill”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Metcalfe Hotel

The Metcalfe Hotel
Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice hotel - short walk from Parliament hill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

The hotel is very well located for visits to parliament hill.

In an ideal world it would be a little closer to the Byward market area as this is where we ate every night. It was about 1km away.

The room and hotel itself were clean and nicely appointed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shaun R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

This hotel is fine but needs to make a small investment... some sound-absorbing mouldings around the doors to the rooms.
I know I sound like the jerk here but it can't be that every hotel guest in the place was some idiot who doesn't know how to properly close a door! Every door slammed shut, sounding like a gunshot, at least every 15 minutes from 9 pm to at least 2 am. And it started up again promptly at 7 am!
We stayed on a room on the 4th floor, facing the outside of the building (this hotel also has rooms facing its inside atrium). Noise from the street: none at all. All noise came from in the hotel hallway.
Overall, a truly ridiculous hotel experience.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank JohnInMontreal
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear JohnInMontreal,

Thank you for your recent stay and for reviewing our hotel. I am very sorry for any inconvenience the noise challenges may have caused you. I want to assure you our hotel is very proud of its level of service. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

Again, thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for three nights in May, in on the 21st out on the 24th. I was in Ottawa for business. The hotel was in a great location, with easy access to business, shops, the canal, and great running/walking trails. Have spent the previous 3 nights in a rather noisy hotel in Washington DC it was a pleasure to stay in this hotel. My room faced the street, but unlike most others, I could hear no noise - from the traffic, from the building machinery, from other rooms. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was nicely done, and the bed was so, so comfortable. I would stay again. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Susan M
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a girlfriend getaway on Saturday May 31 - 1 night.

We chose the hotel based on location and the great deal online: $139 per night for 2 queen beds. I called to ensure this rate was applicable for 4 adults in 1 room, this was confirmed. I booked the hotel and had to pay in advance, no cancellation possible with the discounted rate

At checkout, we realized there was an extra $20 fee applied for every adult after count of 2 ($40 plus taxes - which drastically changes the night rate!). This was not mentioned when I made the reservation - the main reason why I had called to make the reservation instead of booking online was to confirm no extra charge.

Staff was not helpful, they even mentioned that if they were to respect their initial engagement, the extra fee charged to our room would be taken off THEIR OWN PAY CHECK .... this is ridiculous, why such a lie?

Bad customer service. I would not return to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank genevievecleroux
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear genevievecleroux,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent girls trip to Ottawa and for sharing your stay experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory stay you had with us. Our goal is to deliver inspired service and I am disappointed this was not the case for you.

All of the hotel's rates are based on single or double occupancy and there is an additional $20/person charge beyond two adults in the room. This is consistent with most hotels. I apologize this was not communicated clearly to you by the reservations agent at our Central Reservations Office. Your reservation did come through our system at the $179 rate which is why this is what we charged you. If you could forward your confirmation email that shows the $139 rate to kjones@ottawadowntownhotel.com I will be happy to take care of reimbursing you the difference in your rate.

We will be following up with our Central Reservations Office as well as with the front desk agent you spoke with at check out as this is not the communication nor the service that we pride ourselves on.

I would be happy to discuss your stay with you in person should you like to contact me directly at 613-231-6555.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Generally not been very impressed by any of previous Ottawa hotel experiences, but this is a good hotel. Calm, peaceful (even with a wedding party staying) and well-sited for walking to The Hill, Byward Market, the Rideau Canal etc.

Room was spacious and well lit. Fridge, coffee maker. The bed was very comfortable indeed, and we slept like logs both nights.

Staff are friendly, service was good. I'd have breakfast elsewhere, but mainly because it's cheaper elsewhere...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic hotel the staff are so helpful and nice the room was great ,it was equipped with everything you could think of ,no noisy AC and the room was bright and well furnished, the bathroom had a walk-in shower with a shower head that could massage you , the coffee maker was in the bathroom a little odd I thought but it must be a Canadian thing as the other hotels we stayed in also had there coffee makers in the bathroom, we didn't eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food , this was a very enjoyable stay, the only fault I could make as that the parking garage was under the next door hotel and we had to walk with our luggage through the reception of the Marriott then up in a lift and then down some stairs to get to the indigo reception

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Hettylee
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Hettylee,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent trip to Ottawa and for taking the time to share your stay experience on Tripadvisor.

Our goal is to deliver inspired service to all of our guests and I am delighted this was the case for you. I love that your title was "Home from home" as we want all of our guests to feel at home in our hotel!

We look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next visit to our neighbourhood!

London, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

My second time at this hotel and it was a generally positive experience. I had a queen suite with oodles of space. Keurig coffeemaker, small fridge, 2 big TVs (didn't use them, but nice they were there), Aveda soap and toiletries. Great shower (no bathtub). The bed was very comfortable and the bedroom had a closeable door. I had an inner room, so the windows looked into the lobby area rather than outside -- some may not like that, so inquire when booking about options. Hallway noise, especially doors closing, was not well masked. Also, rooms have laminate floors rather than carpet, so people walking with shoes on in the room above were quite audible.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear kgilbert001,

Our goal is to deliver inspired service to all of our guests and I am delighted this was the case for you. I am happy you found your room to be so suitable with our Keurig coffee maker, two 42" TV's and our Aveda Guest Supplies are definitely a big hit with our guests. You will be pleased to hear that we will be changing the closures on our guest room doors which will help eliminate the noise of doors closing in the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next visit to our neighbourhood.