“Pleasant modern hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Shropshire, United Kingdom
“Pleasant modern hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Indigo for two nights. it is a well situated modern hotel. Our room was on the 5th floor & there were 2 very efficient lifts. The reception area is light & airy with plenty of seating & you can look up to the glass atrium. The reception staff were most helpful & welcoming. Our room was spacious & clean. The bathroom had no bath but a large shower which was very efficient with plenty of hot water. There was a useful stool in the shower area. There were plenty of fluffy towels! We were grateful for the free wifi. We did not eat at the hotel but the restaurant looked inviting & was busy when we left this morning. Parking is shared with the Marriott Hotel next door & excellent directions were given by reception staff. There was no problem parking directly outside the hotel to drop off & pick up luggage on arrival & departure. The hotel is well placed to visit Parliament Hill, Rideau Canal, shops, restaurants etc.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Patricia I,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent stay in Ottawa and for sharing your stay experience on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read your review and how happy you were with your stay with us, from the staff to the cleanliness of your guest room to the free wifi and location! Our goal is to deliver inspired service and I am happy this was the case for you.

We look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next visit to Ottawa!

Best,

Kim Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Chesterfield UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Whist being relatively centrally located we felt the hotel was a little clinical and more suited for business guests than holiday makers like ourselves. The hotel is spotlessly clean and well appointed. We cannot comment on the restaurant as we chose to eat elsewhere as the hotel menu was somewhat limited. Car parking is a bit of a pain as the hotel uses the car park in the adjoining hotel and it is quite an ordeal parking the car and getting back to the Indigo. Overall though these comments should not detract from choosing this hotel as the pool and fitness centre are a real bonus.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MSPChesterfielduk,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with Hotel Indigo on Trip Advisor. The comments we receive from our guests allows us to continuously improve upon the product and our service.

I am happy you found our hotel to be clean and enjoyed our location. I hope you found time to explore our neighbourhood as there is much to see and do despite being in the business district of downtown Ottawa.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to invite you back to Hotel Indig on your next visit to our neighbourhood.

In hospitality,

Saddle Brook, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is not what we expected. We checked in last night very late. After a long drive we had to wait for the front desk agent to open the locked entrance to check in. Hotel should have a security or a designated person to do so. Randy works night shift but he had a wonderful customer service. He is genuine and welcoming; he explained in detail for the parking. One suggestion for hotel to have more signs at the garage so guest will know which level to parked as a hotel guest.
Room was not cleaned throughout. We found soap scum on bathroom faucet handle which we had to clean it up. The shower glass had smudges all over on both side; probably it was not cleaned for months because the smudges came off only when scrubbing hard.
The TV and it's cabinet was dusty that you could see the dust flew around under the light. In the morning I was looking forward to my coffee but both cups were disgusting dirty and one of the mug's handle was sticky.
I was also told on the phone there are bathrobes in the rooms but there were none. Also no safe in the room.
Water pressure and temperature are great. Randy is wonderful!!!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tomas N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience on TripAdvisor. Our goal is to deliver inspired service to all of our guests and I sincerely apologize this was not the case for you.

I would like to disucss your stay experience directly with you. Please contact me at the hotel by calling 613-231-6555 or by email at kjones@ottawadowntownhotel.com.

I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you in person.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I gave Indigo an Excellent mark not because it is in absolute the most luxury or glamorous hotel in Ottawa, but because it's the best value for money you can get in the Capital City. The location is perfect, at the heart of downtown, yet in a quite position that allows a comfortable sleep. Rooms are spacious and clean, the building is well kept and the staff at reception is extremely kind and helpful. Last year I had an issue with this hotel (hej, nobody is perfect...) but their response has been the top of the courtesy and customer's care. This time I didn't try the breakfast but I did it the previous time and it was okay. The parking is shared with other hotels and it's not directly connected with Indigo, so the whole operation of parking requires some extra minutes, but nothing particularly inconvenient. At the end of the day, when you get a nice room, a comfortable bed, in a central but silent location and pay a reasonable price, what else really matters? I definitively recommend this hotel to all visitors who want a pleasant stay in central Ottawa without spending a fortune.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Roberto_2010_Toronto,

Thank you for returning to Hotel Indigo and for taking the time to share your stay experience on TripAdvisor.

I am happy to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us, finding our employees to be kind and helpful as well as enjoying our great location in the heart of our neighbourhood. You are right in saying that no one is perfect and it is how you recover from those less than perfect moments that make the difference and I am so glad we were able to make that difference for you.

We look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next visit to Ottawa.

Best,

ONTARIO, CANADA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I booked my September stay back in February, for a king bed room. When I showed up at 2pm to check in, I was reminded that check in wasn't till 3pm so 'No, your room isn't ready'. No big problem for me, so I parked my vehicle (parking was an event) and went about my afternoon. When I went back after 5pm to get a room key and complete my check in, my room was still not ready. I waited for 20 minutes for the front desk staff to get a hold of someone in housekeeping to release the 'dirty' rooms back into the system as 'cleaned'. Once in the room, I was shocked at the actually size! The website makes the rooms look big however, these rooms are boarded-line NY City size. By far one of the smallest size rooms I've ever stayed in. The king bed was way to big for the room. Every time I would walk around the bed, I would hit my toes off the desk chair. The bathroom was modern however all the tile had coloring from water moisture, which grossed me out a little. That evening, I called the front desk to request a later check out. Normal check out is 12noon, however I was looking to check out closer to 1pm. I was told to check out between 12 and 2pm I would charged $50. If I went pass 2pm, I would be charged a full day rate!!! I explained that I hadn't even gotten into my room until after 5pm and due to the inconvenience I was hoping they would offer at least that... nope! I asked who the front desk manager would be in in the morning, and was told no front desk manager or supervisor would be available the next morning... they don't arrive till the afternoon!! What hotel doesn't have a supervisor or manager to tend to customers!! Anyways, I couldn't wait to check out and leave as I will never stay there again as I was just revenue not a customer!! Only plus for this hotel is location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stephanie H
Dear Stephanie H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience on TripAdvisor. Our goal is to deliver inspired service to each guest and I am extremely disappointed this was not the case for you.

This past weekend was an extremely busy weekend for the hotel with the Army Run which would explain why we might not have had a room available for you at check in as well as the late check out fee. However, we certainly should have taken better care of you as our guest and for that I sincerely apologize.

I would r like to discuss your stay experience further and invite you to contact me directly at the hotel by calling 613-231-6555 or be email at kjones@ottawadowntownhotel.com.

Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We chose this hotel during our first visit to Ottawa for the weekend. We had a rental car that we parked on the nearby street overnight - best part is that weekend parking is free in ottawa. The check in process was swift and they took into account our room preferences. This hotel is well situated within walking distance to parliament hill. We could easily walk to watch the nightly Mosaika sound and light show within 5 minutes. There are a couple of starbucks stores around the block as well which is something we always take into account while choosing a hotel. The room was moderate in size and had basic amenities. It met expectations!!! I would definitely recommend this place for it's location and price.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Travelmusings,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience at Hotel Indigo on TripAdvisor. The feedback we receive from guests such as yourself is invaluable.

I see it was your first trip to Ottawa and I hope it won't be your last! As you discovered, our guests love being able to walk from our hotel to so much our city has to offer such as Parliament Hill. We proudly serve Starbucks at our restaurant, Phi Bistro & Bar and I admit, I like to stay in hotels close to a Starbucks too!

Thank you for recommending our hotel and we hope to see you back in Ottawa and Hotel Indigo in the near future!

In hospitality,

Hawkesbury, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Usually stay at other hotels nearby but decided to try at least once, my wife was with me and she has decided that this is now her favourite hotel in Ottawa. One of the main reasons is the layout of the rooms, as she put it, somebody finally listened, the tints and the décor make for a great experience. The lobby décor was very inviting, the staff was great and it's a great location for a good price, will definitely go back. Next time will have to try the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear SusanLuc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with Hotel Indigo on TripAdvisor. I really enjoyed reading that by deciding to give us a try we have become your new favourite hotel in Ottawa!

Our hotel certainly has a unique feel and design from other hotels in our neighbourhood and I am happy to read that this appealed to your wife. We have a great team of service professionals in our hotel and I am proud to work along side them everyday. I hope you have the time to try our restaurant on your next visit as well as check out many of the restaurants and attractions in our neighbourhood.

We look forward to inviting you back on your next trip to Ottawa!