“Great value, modern, spotless, perfect location.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Metcalfe Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Metcalfe Hotel
Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Stanhope, Canada
“Great value, modern, spotless, perfect location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

The great: perfect central location for the downtown worker; appealing outdoor walk-up; modern lobby, halls, and rooms; modern decor that makes each room feel customized; spotless -- absolutely 100% spotless; friendly front desk staff; friendliest housekeeping staff of any hotel I've stayed in -- they always say hello and seem genuinely happy to see you in the morning; spacious room with a gorgeous king bed and perfect linens; modern, clean washroom with a walk-in shower and all the fixins; best wifi of any hotel I've stayed in.

The not-so-great: the floor is my room was somewhat uneven, as if during renos, they hoped that the new 1/4" laminate would level out the floor but didn't. Coincidentally, this was an "accessible" room and the uneven floor could be hazardous for people with mobility issues. Also, my room was at the end of a hallway that must back on to a loading dock or something because every morning around 7:00, there would be loud banging noises that I could feel through the floor, as if they were unloading large palettes of supplies. This occurred into the evening but thankfully stopped before lights out.

The bad: there was a kitchen fire, resulting in a fire alarm throughout the hotel (and even smoke coming in through my AC vent). Nobody could have expected this, and normally I wouldn't even mention it. Kitchen staff quickly put the fire out; however, hotel management and staff did not perform well in this emergency situation, due, seemingly, to a lack of training. They did not evacuate the lobby/restaurant despite the alarm. Many people ignored the alarm and stayed at the bar and in the lobby because the staff did not seem concerned. Any and every fire alarm should be taken seriously, no matter the case, and evacuation should be the priority. Unfortunately, an employee shut off the alarm before the fire department arrived -- a very poor choice and potentially dangerous tactic. This caused those of us who had gone outside to go back in, assuming the fire department had intervened, which had actually not yet happened. I was glad to hear the fire captain discussing the proper procedures with the manager once the situation was over. Staff obviously did not intentionally do anything wrong. Rather, I think there is an obvious lack of training that needs to be fixed from the top down. Perhaps an all-staff presentation from the local fire department? I'm sure they'd welcome the opportunity.

Overall: my favourite hotel in Ottawa so far. Looking forward to staying here again, but hopefully in a quieter room. You really can't beat the location. The friendly staff and modern layout/decor are a real breath of fresh air for downtown Ottawa hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher than the second floor if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tommypei
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent stay in Ottawa and for sharing your feedback regarding your stay experience with us.

I am delighted to read Hotel Indigo is your favourite hotel in Ottawa! We have an amazing team that I am proud to work with everyday. The housekeeping staff often get overlooked so I would like to especially thank you for recognizing them!

With regards to the fire alarm, I wish to reassure you we take fire safety very seriously and our staff go through regular safety training and are familiar with fire safety procedures. The situation was actually a problem with the ventilation system and was not actually a fire. Having said this, the alarm should not have been silenced even though it was clear there was not a fire and the Manager on Duty that evening has had refresher training. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel and I would be happy to discuss it further with you.

We look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next visit to our neighbourhood!

In Hospitality,

Kim Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I really liked this hotel. I'd stayed here once before, but I got in very late and had to leave early, so I never really got an impression of it. This time I was here for 3 nights.

The room I had did not have an outside window, which I thought would be weird, but it was very quiet, and had lots of light anyway from the glass roof of the hotel atrium. The WiFi was good, and the wired internet was even better.

There is a really good pool shared between this hotel and the Marriot next door. The finess room looked good too, but I prefer to run outside when I can. On that point, the hotel is only two blocks from the multi-purpose trail along the Rideau Canal, which is a great place to go for a run (or walk for that matter). there are alos bicycles nearby to rent (if you can figure out how to machine works :)).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to Ottawa and the Hotel Indigo.The hotel gives the feel of a nice modern airy building with an open atrium area.Staff are very friendly and willing to help you whenever you need them.It is in the business area and very close to the parliament buildings.
Both our trips were weekend ones and the hotel was a quiet one to stay in (No traffic and few people) great for tourists like us.The byward area and multiple restaurants are within easy walking distance, the hotel has a restaurant and has typical fare at reasonable prices, Fine dining it is not but adequate if you do not want to go out.
The bedrooms are well decorated with hard flooring and good bathrooms, being an IHT Platinum member we have been fortunate to be upgraded, however I am sure all rooms are to the same standard.We found WiFi access to be good.
Highly recommend this hotel, the 2nd stay was even better than the 1st ! So I am sure we will return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ceilings
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is a great hotel in a fantastic location -- short walk to Parliament & Byward. The hotel staff are relaxed and extremely friendly, with none of the annoying pretention you get at other hotels. Our room was on the small side, and I would suggest asking for an outside room (instead of one overlooking the inner atrium since you might want to take advantage of the fact that the windows do actually open to let in fresh air, unlike so many other hotels). The pool is small (and shared with the next door Marriott), so I imagine it gets quite busy there on popular weekends, like Canada Day.

All in all, though, this is a great, modern, fresh-looking hotel and certainly exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed June 2013
Port Moody, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

The one-time Days Inn has been reborn into quite the mid-scale hotel with lots of IKEA furnishings and could be a good boutique hotel. It is part of the IHG chain of hotels and I stayed here in May during a business trip to Ottawa. i was supposed to be here for a week but left after a night since I had to have a good rest and some amenities for the remainder of the week. I did not get a room upgrade even though I am a Platinum member; not overly annoyed about that but it does play into the calculations over one's choice of where to stay. So a standard room it was. The hotel's location at the corner of Metcalfe and Laurier puts it at the East end of the downtown core. It is five blocks south of Wellington St (Parliament) and Ottawa blocks are not long. The building is recognizable from the national flags hanging from the front side on Metcalfe St. There are no good restaurants in the vicinity - you'll need to take a long walk or call a taxi. The hotel has tried to do a modern makeover and I would say that it has mostly achieved it but for the shortcomings below that are either cosmetic, or might be overlooked by non-fussy travellers. Sadly, I am not one of the latter. The lobby is bright and the service is, admittedly, quite good and attentive and in a way, I imagine that they make up for some of the irks.

My room was on the 2nd floor and I am hauling a heavy rolling bag, which has to negotiate 4-5 stairs. Why would you put stairs on a floor when the hotel is on a flat bit of land? Anyway, they didn't flat out the floor during the remodel. After lifting my bag up the stairs, I notice that the paint job isn't great. You can tell when the painter was either in a hurry or only put one coat of paint on the walls. That's how it looked to me. It's a small thing. The room greets you with a sheet of dark wood flooring. I was told that it was hardwood. Perhaps they meant engineered hardwood since it looked like laminate to me. In any case, it isn't the best example of a hardwood floor. One of the first things that I do in a hotel room is to open the windows and I am greeted by the wondrous viewscapes of the internal atrium, which really is just the corridor opposite with a skylight in the roof. I get it that we can't all have exterior rooms but this state causes a problem later. The closet is amply supplied with clothes hangers, which is a point in the right direction. The internet connection requires a daily change in access code, which is slipped under your door daily. The room was quite warm, and I was searching for the thermostat and found it behind the TV (which is, admittedly quite large but I tend to almost never have time to watch TV in hotels these days), which is not good because the lighting is poor at that location and I had a hard time adjusting the temp. I like to have water and juices and some snacks in the fridge (coz I don't like paying $4 for a bottle of water every day) but there is no fridge in the room. Perhaps you might be luckier.

The bathroom has no tub but a full floor to ceiling enclosed shower, which is nice, except that I was lucky that I am not a tall person, or else I would have issues getting under the shower, and the handle is too high for a shorter person to easily reach it. So you'd better be between 5'2 and 5'11. There is a pillar right in the middle of the bathroom, again, not their fault but they could have done a better job with that couldn't they? Again, these are small things, but are rapidly adding up.

The bed is large. Large and firm, and supplied with what passes for pillows in the hotel industry these days. Just my preference, but why do we have to settle for these cushions? They do not provide good support to the head while sleeping and all these seem to be good at is looking nice in photos and costing the hotel less to replace. I really do not expect a hotel of the class to which this hotel aspires to have a bed that is overly firm. The firmness approaches that of Lee Garden Apartments in Beijing. Don't be so cheap, buy a proper bed that offers a bit of luxury. Much time will be spent in bed and quality of sleep is important for business trips. However, admittedly, this is a growing trend so a bit of par for the course.

This brings up the internal atrium view. The lights in the atrium do not get dimmed. If you had an outside view, at least the sun would go down, you could get some fresh air, and eventually the room could get dark enough to sleep. The blackout curtains could not do their job properly as the rods were broken and off its track. There was plenty of light pouring in from around the door (not shimmed properly) and the windows due to the atrium and corridor lighting. The walls did not do a good job of soundproofing and when combined with a firm bed with unsupportive pillows did not contribute to a night's sleep at all. Also, guests do notice that the neighbour's room service has not been cleared away after more than 24 hours.

Sadly, I can't report about the pool since I left before that opportunity. I hope that you have a nicer stay, but for the same price, there are other hotels in areas that are either closer to Byward market or the West end of downtown. Ottawa does, however, get very busy with the marathon or with conferences or governmentt meetings, so you might not have a choice. The hotel and room is quite pretty to look at but my priority is a restful sleep and stay. These the hotel did not provide so i left as soon as I could.

Room Tip: This area of downtown Ottawa is DEAD after 6-7pm, and there are no 7-11s nearby. So go to the nearby...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Gordon L,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

The hotel is modern and well appointed, with access to swimming pool and spa, and coin laundry. Rooms are well appointed and spacious. Staff are lovely; more casually dressed than more traditional hotels, but really helpful and friendly. The meals were great,and service was excellent. The decor was really interesting!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Auburn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We visited Ottawa recently during the Tulip Festival and wanted to stay in the Downtown district. We chose the Indigo, and could not have been more please. The hotel was very clean and the staff was more then willing to please us in any way. The room held a king size bed, and had hard wood flooring. There were no rugs inside the room. The room had a European flavor to it, with a large glass enclosed, stand up shower. The hotel was in walking distance to anywhere we needed to be. Ottawa is a beautiful, clean city. At the staffs suggestion, I parked my vehicle on the street over the weekend. Parking in the city is free all weekend, and it saved me $25.00 per nite. I definitely would go back and stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple