“An OK Hotel”

Ranked #19 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Kingston, Canada
“An OK Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel is a in the old YMCA property so I am ok with the rooms being a bit odd in shape. On check in at 4pm our room was not ready,, unusual. So I asked for a suite room, which was available and was told it was an additional $25, as I was using points for the room. On check out I had to discuss this again with about 3 people before they honored their rate as they wanted $50. I felt like they thought I was not telling the truth and started to argue with me a bit. The hotel is really great though, very clean, nice pool, parking was not avail but on a weekend I did not care. In the future I will make sure the rate is in writing before this to avoid arguments when paying. I am a frequent traveler and have about 6 free nights for this program and this is an unusual way to be treated.

Room Tip: I found the double queen a bit small last visit, and the suite is more comfortable when traveling wi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Scott C,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience and for being a Priority Club member. I am glad you liked your room accommodations as well as our convenient location. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,

Jaime W
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Location is great and the rooms are cozy and clean. We were a group of girls out for an entertaining girls' weekend and were looking forward to using the hot tub only to find that it was a dirty cesspool of filth and germs. Needless to say we were very disappointed! The front desk staff seem disinterested in assisting their guests.

Also, bathroom toiletries were not stocked and not nearly enough for the guests occupying the room. Even though the hotel advertises a spa, it was not open when we wanted to use the facilities.

My review might seem like an anomaly amongst these other glowing reviews, but I'm only being truthful about my experience.

If the employees put more effort and care into addressing their guests, maybe it would be palatable, and make a bit of a difference. Bottom line...I will be staying elsewhere next time we are in Ottawa.

• Stayed March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Peridot,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to know that you found our location and room accommodations to be convenient for your needs. Please accept my sincerest apologies however if you found our staff's service to be sub par. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Regards,

Pam G.
Clayton, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I planned a night away for our 5 year anniversary. We had left our two children at home for the first time and were really excited to spend some time together, when we began talking to Bess at the front desk she was as excited as we were! She recommended a terrific restaurant, drew us maps,Suggested 3 different ideas of how to spend our " free time" and when we returned from the museum she suggested we found a beautiful tray of cheese, crackers, and fresh strawberries. What a kind and thoughtful surprise! Bess was the face of the hotel Indigo and of Ottawa for us, she made us feel like family which is why We are booking our next trip already. The rooms were clean and calming, and all staff were courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: Corner rooms over look the city, beautiful view but not completely dark in the night. Spacious and c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle F
Toronto Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I just got back from another visit to Hotel Indigo, and it was great as always. I love the soothing decor, and a big fave is the rooms with the composite wood flooring- no nasty carpet! I stayed in a king bedroom. Everything was in good repair and sparkling. The rooms have a huge shower and teak stool, but no tub. They even provide Aveda bath products.

The location is excellent for getting around Ottawa, and the staff were very helpful. All in all, a lovely place to relax and enjoy the city.

Room Tip: I was on the fifth floor and had no noise issues. The concierge told me they don't book hockey...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KatyaTorontoCanada
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Hotel Indigo on TripAdvisor. We love to read reviews, especially from our regular guests! And to read that we are your favourite hotel in Ottawa makes us very happy. It's our favourite hotel too! In the reviews I've read this afternoon, the laminate floors are as ever popular! They are great for cleanliness and guests with allergies.

We look forward to inviting you back on your next visit to Ottawa!

Brampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Easily located and centrally located, this hotel is within walking distance of everything from the Natural History Museum to the Parliament buildings, the canal to Sparks Street. The price was reasonable, the rooms clean and nicely decorated. We had issues with temperature control and evening hallway noise but really enjoyed the pool, fitness rooms and hot tub. I found the bed very hard (painfully so) but the rest of my family said they slept well. I would also have preferred a bath tub over a shower but recognize that it's a matter of taste.

Room Tip: I'd suggest requesting an exterior room so that you'll have a window to open for fresh air a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 2gol4s
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. All feedback received from our guests allows us to continuously improve upon our product and service.

I am glad you enjoyed our neighbourhood, there are so many wonderful things to see and do within walking distance of our hotel.

Please accept my apologies that you did not have a restful sleep. We do have spa inspired showers in all of our guest rooms, however, we do have a few rooms that also have bathtubs so please be sure to request one on your next stay.

We look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next trip to Ottawa.

Gustavsberg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel i centrally located but in a boring neighb. The rooms are ok but not more than that, the tv didnt work that well and also not one of the lamps. Something to work on.
Breakfast not included but available with great coffee. Wifi included in rate.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Magnusigurra
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Magnusigurra,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the amenities in the room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We found this to be a great location for exploring the city. The staff was very helpful in guiding us to where we needed to be and finding a place for our rented bikes. The bar area was nice, not crowded or loud. This was our second time staying at this hotel - we were here a couple of years ago for a visit that was too short and decided to come back. We would stay at this hotel again and again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Murphrito
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at Hotel Indigo on TripAdvisor. We love to hear feedback from guests like youself so we are better able to improve upon our product and service.

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I must admit I thought you must be very adventurous renting bikes in February until I noticed you stayed with us in September. If you do return in February we have great skate rentals available!

We look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo again and again!