“Just OK”

Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Montreal
“Just OK”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel twice now. On the latest stay, booked a standard King room and the first room they assigned to me actually had no exterior-facing windows! The two windows in the room faced the lobby courtyard (totally enclosed), and while there is a skylight at the top it certainly doesn’t help much, especially on a rainy day. So I asked if they had anything else and fortunately there was a room available facing Laurier on the 5th floor. That room was much more pleasant, and I appreciate the staff’s flexibility.

As others have said, the rooms have laminate flooring and dark-coloured modern furniture. Am I the only person who doesn’t like laminate flooring in a hotel? It’s one thing if it’s nice (real) hardwood, it’s another when it’s dark $0.99/sqft type laminate flooring. It’s louder, and every little scuff, mark, footprint seems to remain visible on these floors. Desk was fairly small but ok and well-lit, the armchair in the room was comfortable. While overall the room was clean, you just don’t get that “nice & fresh” vibe from this place. It’s clean enough, but there are many little stains (including in the sheets), marks, finger marks on furniture to remind you that you’re not at home. Sometimes it’s inevitable, but it seemed worse here than at most comparably-priced hotels. The shower was great, it’s a nice stand-up shower enclosed in glass with strong water pressure. Towels were old. Nice AVEDA amenities. Bed was comfortable but not on the same level as the newer pillowtops in a Hampton, Hilton Garden Inn, or Courtyard or Residence Inn.

Most important thing in a hotel is the night’s sleep and I slept well here. I had specifically asked to be away from the elevators and I think that’s important at this hotel because the elevators beep at each floor and are in plain view of many of the rooms given the inner-courtyard layout. I was surprised to have slept so well as the room doors are extremely loud and dead-bolt automatically when doors are closed. So no matter how careful you are, it sounds like someone carelessly slammed the door. I could hear these clearly in the room throughout the day, and seems like turning the AC fan on the highest setting for white noise helped overnight.

Location is very convenient. Right in the middle of downtown Ottawa, 3 blocks from Parliament Hill, 3 blocks from Rideau Centre which is also a gateway to the Byward Market, and easy walk to many office buildings. Views from the room will be either non-existent or very limited because of the small height of the building, but this really is a perfect location for business or site seeing.

Internet: It’s only wired in the room (no wireless), and it was fast. Lobby had wireless which was also fast.

I’d stay here again only if the price was right. It’s not particularly luxurious nor does it give off any romantic vibes… and on the other hand as a business traveler I’d prefer a quieter room (without the loud doors and sounds of people walking on laminate floors in other rooms) with a larger desk. I’ll take a clean and functional room with a view over a hotel that cheapens a boutique hotel experience. So far my experience with Indigo hotels has been fairly disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask to face outside to avoid a room with no exterior-facing windows.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank MTLSteve
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent stay in Ottawa and for taking the time to write about your stay experience on TripAdvisor. The feedback we receive from our guests allows us to improve upon our product and service.

We appreciate your thorough review of our hotel. I have reviewed your feedback with our housekeeping department as there are certainly some areas where we can make improvements.

Good news - we now have wireless in our guest rooms!

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again on your next visit to our neighbourhood.

Kim Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2012

A first time guest at the Hotel Indigo in Ottawa recently. Did not know what to expect beyond good value and top notch reviews on Trip Advisor.
I found out the secret. The staff. The best example is Night Auditor 'Randy' . We had sought directions from him for our next day's excursions before turning in for the night ........and after patiently explaining them to us at the front desk, without us asking, he ended up printing a hard copy of the directions and slipping them under our door while we slept....
That was a first...for me..ANYWHERE.
The Hotel is in a good location, walking distance to everything. In fact, this is a splendid hotel if you don't have a car. We found the parking lot less than ideal. It takes a bit of an effort (forget about a large SUV, it's tight) to navigate down to Hotel Indigo's P3 level (it's shared) and then you have to follow hotel-provided directions back to the lobby.

If you can get beyond that, you're golden. The room works well. The bed is very comfortable. The place is clean and well-appointed in a modern, tidy sort of way. Not ornate, but, functional and bright.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mgreene787
Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent stay in Ottawa and for taking the time to share your stay experience on TripAdvisor. We appreciate receiving feedback as it let's us know what we are doing right and what we can improve upon.

We have a great team here at Hotel Indigo and Randy is definitely one of the ones who gets it right! In face, he is a finalist in this year's Star of the City Recognition Program in the Above & Beyond Category along with Hotel Indigo nominated as a finalist for Star Property.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to inviting you back to our hotel on your next visit to our neighbourhood.

West Yorkshire
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This Hotel we only stayed one night and I wish it had being more, the Bedrooms were very unusual
as the paper on the walls was like cable stitch with knitting, but somehow it gave a warmth to the room. the rooms were great the staff friendly no complaints at all, this was our last stop before we went over to USA and Vermont.

Room Tip: We were with a Tour and everybody commented on how nice the rooms were, so it seemed they were all e...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JakiWestYorkshire
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with Hotel Indigo. The comments from our guests lets us know when we are doing something right and where were need to improve.

I see that you were part of a tour so you probably didn't choose to stay here but I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay as did others with our tour group. We have four different murals in our guest rooms but the cable knit sweater is my favourite, especially this time of year when there is a chill in the air!

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope to see you again at Hotel Indigo!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I spent one night here when I first arrived in Ottawa for work for a week. Sadly, work arranged for me to stay elsewhere during the week, but I was so happy to be able to stay here for even one night. This was my second stay here (first being in 2009) and I was again incredibly happy. Originally, this place had been recommended to me in 2009 from a Government of Canada worker who said they always put up out of town visitors there. And I can see why. The place is clean, neat and professional. Hands down one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Bathrooms are fantastic (I'm so picky about hotel bathrooms) and I love that the floors are hardwood! The price is good and even better for those with a CAA card. It could only be better if breakfast was included. And for some reason (can't remember why), there was no wifi in my room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank WanderingBrunette
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with Hotel Indigo on TripAdvisor. The feedback from our guests allows us to continuously improve upon our product and service.

I'm happy to read how much you enjoy our hotel and am only sorry to see that you weren't able to stay here for your entire stay in Ottawa! Hopefully next time you will be able to convince your company to book you into our hotel for the entire week!

Good news - we now have wireless internet in all of our guest rooms as well as the public spaces!

We hope to see you back on your next visit to our neighbourhood!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2012

The hotel indigo is a great place to stay while traveling to Ottawa, On. The location is great as it is close to all the great places to see in Ottawa as well as a short 30 minute bus ride to the airport. The service levels and amenities go above and beyond what you could expect and they earn their 5 star rating day in and day out. I will definitely stay here anytime I'm back in the city!

Room Tip: Get the breakfast!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Gonewiththewine
Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent stay in Ottawa and for letting us know how we are doing by sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am so happy to read how much you enjoy your stay with us and our neigbourhood. And we will look forward to seeing you back on your next visit to Ottawa!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a tremendous value. A beautiful boutique hotel in the downtown core of Ottawa where you can get a large room, huge bed and beautiful hardwood floors. Large shower and closet. A good restaurant and bar.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank RalphW_10
Sparta
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Apart from the difficulty parking, my friend & I enjoyed our stay here. The staff were friendly & very helpful, especially the servers in the Bistro cafe. We could easily walk to the Parliament Buildings, Art Gallery etc. & did not need to use our car. Our room was clean & tastefully decorated, & we enjoyed the use of the pool as well. We also enjoyed using the large foyer lounge which has local newspapers available to read, & nice groupings of arm chairs & sofas for the use of hotel guests. The design of the hotel is welcoming, & we enjoyed the fact that it only has 6 floors, built in a square formation, so the rooms are not too far to reach from the elevators.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room away from the elevators & ice machine.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends