“After 6 nights would return next time in Ottawa”
Review of The Metcalfe Hotel

The Metcalfe Hotel
Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
San Diego, California
“After 6 nights would return next time in Ottawa”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I don't typically have the opportunity to stay in one hotel for multiple nights but this time I was able to stay 6 nights. Overall it was a good stay and I would stay here again next time I am in Ottawa.

Pros: located close to Parliament square and the tour buses so if you are here sightseeing it is a very good location. The staff was friendly and helpful overall but the service can be very slow at times. Room was clean and average size with a comfortable bed. I took the advice of other travelers and asked for a forward facing room on the 6th floor so there was plenty of light and a good view. The best part was the restaurant/bar being open until 11pm during the week (but closes early on Sunday).

Cons: breakfast is a seperate charge and expensive compared to other options very close by. I ate breakfast at the hotel three times and each time the service was extremely slow with food taking on average of 20-30 minutes to arrive. This isn't a big deal if you are on vacation but very inconvenient if you are in a hurry. A huge con for a chain hotel like this is no wifi except in the lobby and then it was quite slow. This was quite inconvenient for a iPhone/iPad user like myself so beware. I had to laugh at other reviews about the very small towels (they were pretty rough) and the small pillows because the pillows were small that over half the bed had no pillows!

Good hotel with a restaurant, wired only internet, clean rooms, slow service, but very convenient location.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room facing the front of the hotel so you aren't facing the other buildin...
5 Thank KnowingThisKnow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I've decided to go for the list approach:

Pros
- excellent front desk staff (whether it was helping me locate a nail file or getting me a late check-out, each of them was great).
- solid gold location (walking distance to government buildings (work), shopping and major tourism sites)
- accommodated both an early check-in (9:30 am) and a late check-out (2:00 pm)
- close to nearby fitness studios (check out pilates space for an intense workout)
- great range of food options (for those with allergies, or who like a variety)
- breakfasts were reasonably priced (I always shudder at those $20 bills you get at some places for a cup of coffee and some oatmeal).
- nice contemporary decor
- good sized rooms
- pool (the giant skylight over it was a nice touch).
- a full suite of Canadian satellite channels (so that I could catch the latest on Real Housewives of Vancouver or Dangerous Flights).

Cons
- no bathtub (large shower, but bathtub people with aching muscles won't be satisfied with that or the luke warm jacuzzi)
- no WiFi in rooms (wired only, which sucks for IPAD users).
- room was dark (because I was facing the wall of the neighbouring building; in fact, comparing notes with a colleague on the 4th floor, I discovered that a whole side of the hotel faces a wall).

Room Tip: See if you can get a room that faces the street side.
5 Thank Bleurussie
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We spent two nights here, booked for my husband as part of a business trip. Although my choice if we were paying would be Business Inn, this was a very pleasant spot. The reception crew was terrific, the room clean and comfortable and the location excellent. I do agree with a previous reviewer; although the the bath towels are adequate, they are smaller than what we have at home, and the pillows are small for a king size bed. I mentioned both to the reception staff, after commenting on the cleanliness of the hotel. The bed was quite comfortable, a necessity for me, and I slept for 8+ hours each night.

4 Thank piratepirate
Carrickfergus, N Ireland
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I'm not normally into retro and chic hotels but this was fabulous. The decor was lovely-never thought I would like a hotel room that had one wall which looked like a blue jersey! The room was stunning and more importantly comfy with big comfy beds. Very clean and everything you would want. Had our meal there that night and also breakfast which were very good. As this is a government city there isn't much in the surrounding area regards dining. Our tour manager joked that everywhere closes at 9.30 so that everybody can be in the gym at 6.00 and work at 7.00!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank briers
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Spent 3 nights at this centrally located hotel on a North American trip which took us from Boston to Toronto and took my wife back to Ottawa for the first time in 40years.
Ideally situated close to central town and Parliament buildings etc. staff were very helpful with good dining recommendations ,the room was clean and comfortable ,the restaurant was excellent and the gym was very useful to knock the calories off from those big breakfasts.Would stop again and no hesitation in recommending to any friends who may be visiting Ottawa

3 Thank GASHEADROVERS
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I recently returned from Ottawa from Race Weekend and wow what a trip :) We arrived and stayed 3 nights at this hotel....it was beautiful and had everything we needed. Not to mention, it was so close to everything :) My favorite person ever that worked there was THOMAS :) He came to the rescue beyond my expectations ~ I was there to cheer on my hubby for the marathon and needed a bike as we are from the East Coast and flew to Ottawa! Needless to say THOMAS lent me his very chic bike equipped with the best storage bin in the back for my backpack, camera and water! I ended up seeing my husband & friends several times throughout the race and it wouldn't have been close to being possible had I not had that bike from Thomas! It was an amazing experience to watch him run his first marathon and I have only phenomenal things to say about THOMAS :) THANKS FOR MAKING IT HAPPEN!!!!

6 Thank curlergirl3133
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I was really pleased with my stay at the Indigo. The hotel itself is very pleasant--bright and airy. The front desk staff were always friendly and helpful, without exception. The room was very nice and the cleaning staff did a great job. No view to speak of--just another building, but that often happens. My only complaint would be the Phi restaurant where I had breakfast for three mornings. I was told "breakfast was included" for an extra $15/room. Fine. But you order from a menu and anything over $20 you have to pay for yourself. It's not hard to go over because the prices are steep. Worse still was the service. The wait staff were generally pretty good, but completely understaffed. They had to clear and clean the tables, take the orders, deliver the food, sort out the bill, everything. Always just one person. They always seemed frazzled. The second morning it took nearly an hour to receive "brown sugar crepes." No brown sugar and miniscule--gone in three bites. I was told that the kitchen staff was training someone, but that was no excuse.

In addition, on our last night we decided to splurge on drinks at the Phi. Two glasses of house wine and one draft beer = $35??? I know hotel lounges are expensive, but that's highway robbery.

Bottom line: definitely stay at the Indigo Hotel. Great location, too--about a five minute walk to Parliament Hill. But do NOT pay extra for the breakfast. There's a Starbucks and Tim Horton's just doors away.

Room Tip: Avoid the Phi restaurant/lounge at all costs.
5 Thank DRBinToronto