“A perfect business hotel”
Review of The Metcalfe Hotel

The Metcalfe Hotel
Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
United Kingdom
“A perfect business hotel”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Overall I was quite pleased with this hotel. Notification of priority club status and upgrades accordingly. The location is central with everything in reach, there is a nice Indian buffet just around the corner which is fairly cheap and has good food. The rooms are nice and spacious with a jacuzzi bath, a very noisy one though. The restaurant is of a good standard but needs a larger menu, the bar has a good selection of tasty beers on offer and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Would I stay again? Without a doubt.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Flyerstarter
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo. It is the comments and feedback we receive from our valued guests such as yourself that allows us to continue to improve upon our product and service.

I am happy to read you enjoyed our stay with us from the comfort of the guest room to the friendly staff to our selection of local beers in our bar, Phi.

We will look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next trip to Ottawa!

Kim Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2012

the staff at hotel indigo was very pleasent and the stay was very injoyable.
the food was good in their restarant.be back again

Room Tip: every room is very nice staff was very good .the atrium veuws were very pleasent. i will return...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank mike s
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at Hotel Indigo on the tripadvisor site. The feedback we receive allows us to continuously improve upon our product and service.

I am so happy to read that you were very happy with your stay with us from the staff to your guest room to the food in our restaurant. I see you enjoyed the atrium views. I love it as well, it is beautiful any time of day or night.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next visit to Ottawa.

Gouverneur, New York
Reviewed February 12, 2012

By far the greatest part of this Hotel is it's staff. VERY willing to help and offer all kinds of advice. When we asked about places to eat, we were quickly provided a map to all the restaurants within walking distance and coupons for discounts to places we chose. We mentioned we were going to the Senator's hockey game and the lady at the front desk recommended we take the bus out to Kanata instead of drive. She also provided printed out information for where to get on the bus, which bus to take and times the bus would arrive. We are so glad we took the bus and did have to mess with getting out and driving. The rooms were nicely decorated with big comfortable beds with lots of pillows and duvets. Our biggest complaint was it cost $19 PER DAY to park in the garage and the attached Restaurant is expensive with only average food. So far we've only stayed at the Ottawa Marriot and Hotel Indigo, both are nice establishments. Next time we are in Ottawa, we may consider staying here again. This hotel is less than 15 minutes walk from the Rideau Shopping center and Parliament Hill. Elgin Street is close as well as the Peace Tower and tons of places to eat. Location cannot be beat for the price.

Room Tip: Free wired internet. Parking is $19 per day extra. Wireless internet is extra. Shampoos, Conditioner...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Russ C
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us at Hotel Indigo. We value and appreciate the comments received from our guests such as yourself.

I was very happy to read that our staff took such good care of you during your stay with us. I hope you enjoyed the Sens game!

Your girlfriend and I have something in common as I love the Aveda products as well! On a side note, we do not charge for our wireless internet, however, it is currently only available in our public spaces with some guests being able to access it in some of our guest rooms. This will be changing this year though as we will be adding wireless internet to all of our guest rooms.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next trip to Ottawa.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2012

The location is great. It's close to Parliament Hill, close to Rideau Centre for shopping, close to the National Arts Centre and close to Elgin Ave and Bank St for restaurants. The restaurant has a small but good menu and the bar has popcorn - perfect for a late-night snack. The employees are outstanding - especially the front desk folks. This is my favourite Ottawa hotel by a country mile.

• Stayed January 2012
4 Thank Marilyn K
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay with Hotel Indigo on the tripadvisor site. We greatly appreciate the feedback we receive from our guests as it allows us to continuously improve upon our product and service. I am thrilled to read that we are your favourite hotel in Ottawa. We strive to provide an inspiring experience for each of our guests and I'm happy to know we have achieved that for you.

And I agree, the popcorn in Phi is a perfect snack! We will look forward to inviting you back in to Hotel Indigo on your next trip to Ottawa.

Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel back in July 2011. The hotel is not bad. It's clean and the rooms are nicely decorated. However, the rooms are small, the area where it is (right by Parliament Hill) has absolutely nothing to do after 5 pm (other than going to the parliament). There isn't even a convenience store nearby should you feel the need to get a bottle of water after dark. Parking was extremely expensive as well. Hotel staff were nice though. Oh, and Wifi access is spotty unless you are in the main lobby.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Erik R
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay with Hotel Indigo in July 2011. The comments we receive from our guests allows us to continuously improve upon our product and services. I was pleased to read that you found our rooms to be clean and our staff were nice however I am very sorry you did not get to experience our neighborhood to it's fullest. Although we are in the midst of the financial district with many businesses closing at 5pm, we are just one block away from Elgin Street where there are many restaurants and bars to choose from and just a 10 minute walk from the hotel will bring you to the Rideau Shopping Centre and the Byward Market. My hope is you will provide us with the opportunity to welcome you back and allow our staff to prepare for you a pesonalized tour of our wonderful neighborhood!

St. John's
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times in the past on business trips and continue to revisit as I find the atmosphere relaxing. The lighting at Hotel Indigo is one feature you never truly appreciate until you've stayed at different hotels with their forced lighting. Hotel Indigo has subtle yet effective lighting, soft textures and clean lines throughout. If you need to relax after a long day the rooms are spacious enough to enjoy them with arm chairs and king sized beds. The bathrooms are large with jacuzzi bath tubs and glass showers, and feature Aveda products - just the thing to unwind a tired mind.
The hotel is located fairly close to all the downtown feature of Ottawa, but is about 10 minutes walk to the market district - too far if it's minus 20 outside!
I've stayed at Arc, Sherton, Westin, Lord Elgin etc. in Ottawa, yet Indigo is my favourite.

Room Tip: King Sized rooms offer your best value for room size
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank kodiaknfld
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo during your recent trip to Ottawa and for taking the time to write about your stay with us. The feedback we receive from our guests is invaluable and we so appreciate receiving it.

Our goal is for our guests to feel comfortable and relaxed and I'm so happy that we are able to achieve that for you. And I am thrilled to read that Hotel Indigo is your favourite hotel in downtown Ottawa - mine too!

I hope you weathered the cold okay while you were here and we look forward to inviting you back!

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We wanted to spend one night in Ottawa and we have chosen for Indigo Hotel. The location is very good for visiting purposes: 5 min walk to the Parliament or the restaurant area. Also the rooms are ok in size and equipment/furniture, but half of them (including mine) have no outside windows (the windows lead to the interior hallway of the hotel).

The bad experience however started when we wanted to check in: they have asked for 350 CAD guarantee although we were spending 1 night and the room was already paid for. I hate to give my credit card for this as they block the money for 1 month. Therefore I wanted to pay in cash but I found the amount ridiculous high (at Marriott chain for example it is about 100 USD to cover the possible extras). Their ATM (from the lobby) was not working, it was night and heavily raining outside and I was coming from a long trip by car. I have told the receptionist that we have around 200 CAD cash and ask her to take this as a guarantee. Now she became very rude and refused to check us in, clearly stating: "I am checking you in if you don't give me 350 CAD guarantee. These are the policies". I said that I would like to check in, then go out to dinner and give her the 150 difference when I come back. She still refused rudely. Therefore, I had to walk out in the heavy rain to find an ATM.

Of course, 8 hours later, she gave the guarantee back so all was for nothing.

Concluding, if you want to stay in the center of Ottawa, but be treated disrespectful and like a criminal, Indigo is for you. If you like to be treated like a customer (for a 150 USD hotel room) try another hotel.

I will not stay here again, as their policies are stupid and the staff I met is rude and inflexible.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bvcbv
Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo during your recent trip to Ottawa and for providing your feedback regarding your stay with us. It is the feedback we receive from our guests that allows us to continuously improve upon the product and services.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory experience you had while checking into the hotel. Although it is our policy, as it is at most hotels, to obtain a deposit at checkin either through a credit card authorization or a cash deposit it sounds like your situation could have been handled in a very different manner. We will conduct training with our staff to review alternate options and solutions for these types of situations.

I would be happy to discuss your situation with you in more detail should you wish to contact me directly at the hotel by phone or by email.

Again, please accept my sincere apologies.