“A charming and friendly boutique hotel”
Review of The Metcalfe Hotel

The Metcalfe Hotel
Ranked #21 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Sydney, Australia
“A charming and friendly boutique hotel”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I was in Ottawa for a business trip last month, and I decided to stay at Hotel Indigo due to its location and exceptional reviews. My domestic flight from Vancouver was delayed, so I didn't arrive at the hotel until 2am. I was totally exhausted, and the last thing I wanted at that time was a cumbersome check-in. Fortunately, I was greeted by a friendly receptionist named Randy, who was very efficient and well prepared. He placed me in a room on the lower level, which had better WiFi reception. The room was not very big, but it was clean and tidy. I agree with the previous review that the hotel could have done something with the closet door and perhaps with some of the lightings. I should confess that the WiFi was not fantastic, but there was internet cable available for my laptop. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at Hotel Indigo, and I would certainly stay at this hotel again when I next visit Ottawa.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Tse Wing Y
Indigo08, General Manager at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your recent stay in Ottawa and for taking the time to write about your experience on Tripadvisor. The feedback received from our guests is invaluable to us.

I am so pleased Randy made you feel so welcome after a long trip here from Vancouver. He is certainly one of our stars and we made sure he saw your comments.

With regards to the internet reception, we currently only have wired internet in our guest rooms with wireless in the public spaces. We are looking at changing this in 2012 so keep an eye out for that change.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to inviting you back to Hotel Indigo on your next trip to Ottawa.

In hospitality,

Kim Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed December 22, 2011

The hotel is in downtown Ottawa in the business district. I was there for 5+ days in a king sized room. This is my 3rd Hotel Indigo stay in ~ 2yrs across the US.

Pros:
* Excellent location if you want to be downtown or close to the Canadian parliament.
* Decent proximity to many eateries [still a 15+ minute walk], shopping areas, etc.
* Friendly staff
* Wired internet in rooms [was included in price for me]
* Phone was decent enough for long conference calls.
* The closet space is decent and bathroom is nice [shower was very sensitive and could go from luke-warm to scalding in a minute turn!!]
* Underground parking keeps your car clean and warm in winter.

Cons:
* The room I got was ** tiny ** by most standards. There was barely any space in the room with a king bed, table and drawers. Perhaps the double bed rooms are better but these were tiny. I spent quite some time in the room and found it a bit claustrophobic after some time.

* Wired internet?!! In a business hotel and in the area [and this era], this is just plain silly. If you have a tablet, etc. that can connect only via wifi, then you are out of luck or need to go to the lobby. I found this to be the biggest nuisance and would not return just for this.

* They forgot a wake-up call I'd set up one morning. Luckily the room had a decent clock [that for a change was easy to set up]. Still, not good.

* While location is convenient if you need to go nearby [and buses to other areas abound], the area is relatively dead during the weekends in winter. You will need to walk 15-30 min to come to an area with enough restaurants to meet all tastes & budgets. Nothing really close.

* Cleaning staff can be pretty noisy between 9 am -- 8pm. They need to get it done by 5.30pm if you ask me. Can become a pain when you are trying to work, talk on phone or relax.

* Parking costs are ~ CAD 20/day --> pretty steep but not unusual compared to other hotels in the area.

* Even local calls can cost you money; check to see if you are going to be charged or not [Pririty club members get it free]

Overall: I give it average due to location but was sorely disappointed with the room and the internet amenities in it. Subpar compared to my other Hotel Indigo stays.

Room Tip: They have started cleaning the atrium in December 2011 [not sure when it gets done]; make sure you g...
3 Thank atulrr
IHGCare, ihgcare at The Metcalfe Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2011
Dear Atulrr,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Hotel Indigo Ottawa. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. I have taken note. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Respectfully,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Mount Forest, Canada
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Indigo in Ottawa last week. I loved it. If Ikea had a hotel this would be it. Bright colors, funky decor in rooms, no wall to wall carpet....it was fresh and clean. They have a great little cafe in the lobby. Breakfast was great and very inexpensive. They also serve Starbucks coffee. Free WiFi.
I will use this hotel from now on when I am in Ottawa for either business or leisure travel. The location was great too.

3 Thank Alison032
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 4, 2011

One night at the Indigo was pleasant but the hotel has a lot more potential then it delivered. It was clean, quiet, with good service, but the lobby's beauty doesn't quite translate in the rooms. My room was on the second floor right above the main entrance and it felt a bit like I was right on the street especially with the flags waving in the wind just outside my window. The room was nicely decorated but the bathroom was tiny and cramped. It seemed like they decided to save some renovation money and kept the bathroom and closet doors as it. They should have been changed to allow more space and to modernize the place. The shower has a nice glass enclosure but the set up for the controls get you soaked with cold water as you try to set the temperature. One thing that always bugs me -- $3 for the bottle of water they have set out on an inviting tray. I'm a priority club member and stay at IHG properties all the time...do they really need to nickle and dime me for a $3 bottle of warm water? I'll try the Westin next time.

Room Tip: Not too many restaurants around here. Try Colonnade Pizza about 5 blocks down the street. Ask for...
3 Thank DCmike2010
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 24, 2011

What I like about the Indigo is that you get all the things you want/expect from a major chain (which Indigo is, it's part of the IC Group), ie highest standard of cleanliness, modern rooms, and a nice feeling of a boutique hotel (the hotel has an interesting interior atrium design, and a hip/cool feel.

Only issue is spotty wifi - ask for a lower floor room abutting the atrium if in-room wifi is important.

Tip - there is interior access to the Tim Horton's on Laurier (you need to go up the escalators in the lobby, go across into the next building, then back down). This is very useful, especially in the winter.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank ensco3
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Great hotel in Ottawa. Nice location, nicely decorated. Very comfortable place to stay. Some rooms are better than others, and bigger. Try for a room with the jacuzzi tub if possible, as some rooms have only showers.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank T D
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed at the Indigo from November 17-20, 2011 and had a pleasant experience. We booked and pre-paid through an Ottawa Tourism "stay 2, get the 3rd 1/2 price" offer and pre-purchased tickets for the Museum of Civilization in Hull and the Museum of Nature. The hotel is very conveniently located on Metcalfe a few short blocks away from Parliament Hill, the Museum of Nature, the Rideau Centre, and was close enough that we walked to the Museum of Civilization along the Alexandra Bridge into Hull. The hotel is small, but comfortable with a nice lobby, and really pleasant and helpful front desk staff and housekeeping. We felt comfortable and welcome during our whole stay. We recommend Ahora, a tiny mexican restaurant in Byward Market and the Elgin Street Diner for a traditional greasy spoon experience. My daughter enjoyed visiting the boutique at the Mint, where she purchased a number of coins for her collection and held onto the $750K gold bar for a picture. We were also surprised to learn that the Santa Claus Parade was taking place on Saturday evening and happened to come along Laurier right where the Indigo was located! That was a bonus experience we didn't expect. Oh, and plenty of Starbucks in the neighbourhood for those Java seekers!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family