“very friendly host”

Avalon Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 54 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I found Christine to be very friendly and helpful. I can't believe some of the other reviews. I find some people expect The Ritz doorman service and everything but want to pay Super 8 prices.

I enjoyed the clean, modern bathroom my room had. Plastic lined sheet made for uncomfortable warm wearher sleeping though. A little better lighting to read by would be nice. Sable room window overlooks bedroom next door so I had curtain closed mostly. Other rooms looked great though, facing front or back yard. Breakfast was good, coffee too. Location a bit of a walk to Byward market. lots of construction on Rideau where you can catch a bus. Nice quiet residential street though. Living room comfortable place to read. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank calgaryjim
There are newer reviews for Avalon Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at the Avalon Bed & Breakfast for three nights. We stayed in The Sable Room. The bedroom was lovely and the bed was quite comfortable. We wanted to be downtown and this was the perfect location. Christine and Brock were very friendly and helpful. They assisted us with directions and even had maps to give us. Apollo, their dog was very friendly. We were close to the ByWard Market which has a nice variety of restaurants and some interesting stores to puruse. The only down side of the B & B (which is minor) is the fact that the floors in the hall did squeak a little bit. The breakfasts at The Avalon were beautifully presented, plentiful, amazingly good and actually quite "yummy." An added bonus for me was easy access to a house phone with free long distance calls (my calls were to Toronto). I would stay at The Avalon again!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RetiredTeacher57
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Avalon is in an old house very near downtown Ottawa, particulary the ByWard Market. My wife and I--who are not walkers--were able to walk the distance in less than 20 minutes. From the ByWard you are a stone's throw from Parliament Hill, the National Gallery and many other attractions.

Christine was a wonderful hostess, warm and funny, and was she provided plenty of suggestions for us. Christine is also an excellent cook, and her breakfasts were amazing. Furthermore, she always offered to serve more (cereal or toast) if we were still hungry... which we were not!

This is an OLD house. The floors are very squeaky, and all of the fittings, doors, etc are also old, as you might expect. But everything worked the way it should, the bed was comfortable and the price was reasonable.

We would not hesitate to choose the Avalon again.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank nathan_nathaniel
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My Boyfriend and I were in Ottawa for a one day mini quest with an overnight and we were looking to stay in a B&B so choose the Avalon based on positive reviews here on TripAdvisor and I have to say we were not disappointed! We were greeted warmly by Christine and Apollo and shown to our room, the VanGough, and Christine filled us in on how The B&B works. She also gave us directions to a local place for a great meal and to the downtown area so we could go walking. We came back home late and the house was quiet, we had a great nights sleep followed by a wonderful breakfast where we shared the didnt room with another couple staying at the B&B. It was a very pleasant morning chatting with Christine and the other guests.
The bed was comfortable and the room clean and inviting. The house is clean and well decorated.
I totally recommend staying here to anyone looking for a great place that has a friendly atmosphere and knowledgeable hostess.

Room Tip: The Van Gough room is plenty of space if you are going to be out most of the time and only relying o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sapphhira
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed here for two nights as part of a "mini-vaycay," and it was amazing! Our hostess Christine was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable about the area. We stayed in the Pewter room, which was absolutely gorgeous, and the bed was so very comfortable. It even has an intimate balcony with a small two-person table. Breakfast was astounding both mornings as well: home-made waffles the first morning, and eggs benedict the second. Christine was very careful to ask about any allergies and dietary restrictions, which I considered to be very thoughtful.

It's also centrally located: a fifteen minute walk to either the Rideau Centre or the Byward Market!

The next time I head to Ottawa, I'm definitely staying at the Avalon again!!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We were looking for a B&B that was somewhat centrally located, had good TA ratings, and in a quiet neighbourhood.... Avalon checked all of the 'boxes'. I don't want to repeat all of the good comments written here... but I will absolutely second them... Christine and Brock are very warm and welcoming... the official greeter (Apollo) was eager to please... the breakfast was scrumptious... and our room (Pewter) was spacious and very clean.

The only 'comment' I'd make is that there was a room above us... and we could hear the other guests moving about when they returned in the evening... but this did not prevent us from having a restful sleep and will not deter us from returning to the Avalon the next time we are in Ottawa. Two thumbs up!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here for three nights while in town for a wedding/mini-vacation. It was really lovely! We stayed in the Sable room which was the perfect size, large enough to move around, but not too big. The bathroom was well equipped, even having a slip proof map. Our bed was super comfy!!!! We had to avoid "chilling out" on the bed, as tempting as it was, as that was a sure-fire way to fall asleep!!!
The hosts were wonderful!!! Christine took the time to map out some really great restaurants for us and recommended a bar for a post-5-hour-drive scotch. She also pointed out that they provide free parking in a rental lot a block over, which was great considering how much some of the hotels were charging for parking! They only "house rules" we were told about was to please remove your shoes and to please be quiet if we were coming in late. I found that perfectly acceptable and considerate to the other people staying there.
Now to food, breakfast was amazing!!!! The first day was almond french toast with bacon and fruit!!! The second day was blueberry pancakes and sausage, then (by request because my boyfriend really likes pancakes!) pumpkin pancakes and bacon. I don't know how anyone, even a heavy eater, couldn't fill up and she always offered to make more if we were still hungry. There was also more than enough coffee and juice to go around.
Christine and Brock were great about helping us find travel arraignments, things to do and places to try. We would go back anytime.

Room Tip: We really liked the Sable Room, but they all seemed nice.