“Lovely stay”
Review of ByWard Blue Inn

ByWard Blue Inn
Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed April 7, 2013

5th visit over the past couple of years. I was accommodated with early arrival, as usual the room was immaculately clean, fresh, fresh linens, efficient and welcoming Front desk. Great location near all the best spots in Ottawa. Many thanks to all -- Pleasure to Return

Room Tip: Get. Balcony, a place to enjoy a quiet moment.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ColleenO774
There are newer reviews for ByWard Blue Inn

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights, March 21 - 23. This is a very nice small inn, where you can park your car (parking lot is next door, run by the city of Ottawa - it's large,well-lit and very reasonable!) and walk everywhere! The rooms are well-appointed; the fridge, microwave, coffee maker and dishes were much appreciated (along with the bottle of filtered water). Water pressure is satisfactory (I have long, thick hair, so shower water pressure is a key issue in hotels). Wi-fi was complimentary, although a little slow at times - but not a 'show-stopper'. The complimentary breakfast was very nice - yoghurt, juice, fruit, cereals, oatmeal, hot individual omelets and breakfast meat ,with homefries, bread/toast, muffins. Staff are very friendly and accommodating (and totally bilingual). The walls are a bit thin, so hopefully you don't get the room beside the crying baby or partying friends, but I would highly recommend this inn, if your choice is to be in the Byward Market and be able to walk to the Parliament buildings, the Rideau Canal and all the other downtown Ottawa sights. We'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank esperling
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I booked Feb '13 through an unnamed deal. To be honest, the price was VERY low and for that reason it's hard to complain. However, if I had paid full price ($140?!) I would be livid. I received a significant discount and still was disappointed with the quality of the accommodations.

The quality of the "Hotel" is closer to two stars, or a very cheap two-and-a-half. Staff is very courteous, and try to help (clerk offered to open my can with a knife when they had no can opener, go figure). It ends there. Everything is from Ikea, dishes, lamps and important furniture such as the tables, chairs, curtains, mattress were either from Ikea or of similar quality. Mattress was uncomfortable which was made irrelevant because thin walls, renovations, and noise through the door made it impossible to sleep. That and the aforementioned thin Ikea curtains which cannot overlap and broken/bent blind slats. Generally dated and cheap feeling.

- Terrible room security. Traditional key lock IN the doorhandle. I do not believe there is any deadbolt, let alone mag lock.

- Property next door seems to have some outreach function. Needle-drop box and public sexual health clinic. Not exactly what you want when you pay for a $140/night room.

-Parking literally has space for 10 cars, 12-15 if you double park them. After 10 guests, those who are double parked are asked to leave their keys with the clerk who can then jockey your car in a VERY narrow and blind tight garage. Not exactly thrilled to a) find I've been double parked and b) trust my car to the hotel employee knowing there is no liability on them to pay for damages. And that's if the cheap hotel admits responsibility.

- Garage is also operated by intercom at night. Be prepared to wait as the clerk wanders around and is MIA most of the night.

- You could probably steal from behind the desk/kitchen because staff are NOWHERE overnight.

It's NOT a hotel, it was never designed to be and has not since been retrofitted since it's days as apartments and apparently a retirement home. It lacks significantly in detail from linen/bedding/furniture quality, general maintenance/cleanliness, sleep quality/comfort and it's amenities. Managers/owners are NOT experienced in running a hotel, or generally anything in the hospitality industry and it shows.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TWKirton
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a great location if you are looking to explore the area on foot and front desk staff was generally pleasant and helpful but we had simple inconvenient issues (I.e., towels were removed after first night and not replaced; phone didn't work; very loud neighbors; difficult to control heating). I was surprised that they didn't bother to empty the old coffee from pot after first day. Again, these were simple issues but overall reflects that this was not the 3.5 star place advertised on Hotwire at the time of booking. The room (two twin beds) was fine for needs.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I am very content person, I don't expect much

The walls are paper thin here. I could hear people going in and out of their cars on the street all day and night, and on the weekend it was consistent. I could hear my neighbours 2 doors down. I booked the place for 2 nights, and I did not have a chance to sleep in while I was here.

The staff is excellent here, I noticed they go out of their way to help and they are professional.

I could care less of the rooms are not lavish and decked to the nine's in decorations, I just got a room for a place to stay. But I will say that the room did provide for everything that I need (even compared to higher raking hotels). I like the fact that they overstocked the sugar, coffee and tea for the coffee maker in the room. I also liked the fact they out they put cream and milk, and complementary water in the fridge as well. The place came with a microwave too

The hotel is an ideal location, it is close to markets, close to many bars, pubs, restaurants, and close to a 24/7 restaurant (Zaks) and a 24/7 deli (Dunns). We also walked to Rideau Canal from our hotel to avoid driving around and looking for a parking spot.

So the conclusion is ByWard Blue Inn is an ideal place to book, to hit the night on the town don't expect a good night's sleep though.

1  Thank Joe D
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Byward Blue Inn is nothing fancy. It's not in great repair (there was a hole in our bathroom door and we noticed our bed's box spring hat been repaired with duct tape), but it's clean, service was friendly and the location was great - a 5 minute walk from the market. It has a pretty homey feel, with amateur art and ikea furnishings, but our bed was comfy. Breakfast was included and was satisfying - a few hot items, lots of pastries, yogurt, juice, fruit, decent coffee. It's certainly not the Chateau Laurier, but the price was right, and since we were were in Ottawa to see the city, not sit around in our hotel room, it suited us just fine.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel is blessed with a great location and very friendly staff. They provide breakfast AND an afternoon snack. The rooms were very plain and reminded me of a room in residence at university, but the bed was pretty comfortable and that's what counts - I wasn't spending much time there except to sleep anyway.