“Just Like Home--'Way up'!!!”

Lil' Negril Island Grill
Ranked #203 of 3,256 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Reviewed October 28, 2017

My family and I took our first trip to Ottawa in late August. To plan for the trip, I researched attractions, shopping areas and family-friendly restaurants in Ottawa. I came across Lil' Negril Island Grill on the Trip Advisor site. Based on the rating, I decided that we had to try it out!
As a Jamaican who comes from a family of self-proclaimed 'Top Chefs' :), i'm always a bit skeptical when it comes to having Caribbean food (specifically Jamaican) outside the home. This place did not disappoint at all!!! My husband and I started with soup and plantains. They were both very delicious. I think the kids had Festival as well but i've taken so long to write the review that i've forgotten if Festival was a starter or part of the main.
Anyways, for the main course, I ordered Jerk Pork, hubby had Steamed Fish, my daughter had oxtail and my 'no-frills' son had a plain cheese burger (it's either cheese burger, chicken strips or mac n cheese with this boy.....i'm working on him). We live for heat so we ordered the fish and pork spicy.
THE FOOD WAS AMAZING!!! It can only be outdone by the excellent service we received. The fish and oxtail were well seasoned and perfectly cooked and the pork, oh boy the pork.....it was EPIC!! Tender and flavourful. It took me back to the days of stopping by the roadside in Jamaica to buy fresh jerk pork off the drum from the vendors. If your diet does not restrict pork, please please please give it a try.
Presentation, cleanliness and service were also top of the line. The owners/chefs were very pleasant and accommodating. I forgot to ask for no mayo, ketchup, etc. on my son's burger due to his allergies, and they were kind enough to make another burger with no fuss. Thank you both!!
I highly recommend this place if you are looking for authentic Jamaican cuisine done right. We will definitely be back on our next trip to Ottawa!

Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

We drive by this unassuming strip mall everyday and finally stopped in tonight to sample what all our neighbours have been raving about. LIL NEGRIL. Warm chocolate walls with a tropical elegant vibe. Chef is in the kitchen cooking up tasty dishes served by the lively and lovely Donna. I settled on the curried goat and my husband landed on the jerk pork. We started off with a delicious app of fritters served with a spicy mango sauce. We both ordered a Dark and Stormy beverage which did not disappoint. Appleton rum with tangy ginger beer was sipped up quick. Our main dishes arrived at the same time with sides of rice and peas (like a black bean but better) a tropical salad and plantain. My curried goat was spicy just like I asked for, tender in a velvet curry. The jerk pork had a perfect char broiled crust drizzled with a tangy bbq jerk sauce. I've never been to Jamaica but I've seen the bbq pits on t.v. and this pork was pretty close to what that might taste like for real. We finished our meal with a fresh and fluffy slice of crustless cheesecake. The bottom was pineapple and it just melted in our mouths. Donna told us that customers get mad when they run out of this treat.

I will be back to try more of the menu and just to hang out and laugh with Donna. I feel like I've known her forever. What a first class meal and a first class local restaurant. You gotta eat here.

Reviewed August 15, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is located in a small strip mall. Two couples went for supper and found the food to be excellent. We had curried goat, goat roti, and shrimp in butter sauce. The entrees were delicious and well displayed on the plate. The predominately black decor was stylish and neat. Really pleasant!

The waiter was familiar with the menu and was willing to provide explanations and advice to a group with limited knowledge of West Indies cooking. The food was not to hot but restaurant made hot sauce was available.

We finished with delicious cheese cake and have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant. All members of the group will be returning, both individually and as a group.

Four entrees and two deserts came to a little under $80 (including tax)

Reviewed July 1, 2017

Located in an ordinary strip mall in a residential area (Centrepointe), this family-run restaurant is an unexpected gem. Once inside, I found a charming restaurant, run by a husband (the chef) and wife (the server), whose laugh is infectious. The decor is pleasant and the menu is island-inspired, with many delicious choices. A friend and I shared the Island Ribs and Curried Goat. Both dishes were well-prepared and presented and utterly memorable. The prices are modest, the atmosphere warm and the parking is free. Who could ask for more?

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed June 21, 2017

The delicious food was served by a polite and knowlegable server on lovely white warm plates. We all tried something different for lunch and we enjoyed everything. We will definitely go back soon.

Date of visit: June 2017