“Casual alternative.”

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Casual alternative.”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Went there two times. First was "Towel Day", which if you don't know, is an event related to the H2G2 novels by Douglas Adams. We thought it would attract many people to the bar but, around 10 o'clock on a saturday evening, the place was pretty much empty. We were a group of four and we got to sit in a corner, on a high bench facing a table, which was cool. They played mostly awesome New Wave hits so we had a great time anyways. Second time was yesterday evening, with my sweetheart. We were there from 11:30 'til 1:30, and the vibe was way better! The place was filled with people of all ages (early 20's - 40-ish), many different type of persons as well (some with elaborate stylish clothing, others straight casual) and a great range of electronic music. The dance floor and bar areas were packed, actually at some point there was a line-up outside.

Drink-wise, beers are honestly priced. I would not advise you to get the "Pangalactic Gargle Blaster"; its name is fun & everything, but at 8$, the joke isn't worth it. It is so sweet you'll feel nauseous half-way through it. Instead, if you want to get something from the special H2G2 menu, I'd suggest you try the "Slartibartfast". It remains a sweet-type of cocktail, but it is refreshing and good to the taste.

If you do fancy a cheap night out without any pretention & don't need to spend time in an immaculately decorated loungy-kind of club, then this bar might be just the right place for you.

Visited July 2013

Ottawa, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Never had a problem here”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I've visited Zaphods on several occasions during my time living in Ottawa and have never had a problem here. This place is a much better club than most of the others in this city, and especially those in the Market. I am never bothered by guys trying to grind up against me while I'm dancing, and on the one occasion I was asked to leave (with reason) I was gently directed to the door. The music is always good, but the dance floor does get crowded and hot on the weekend. Cover is standard $5, same price for a domestic bottle of beer. I'm fairly sure they're honest with their alcohol pours, and some of the house drinks are pretty darn delicious. I'd say avoid the Pangalactic Gargle Blaster though (despite it's infamous name) and go for something else on the menu.
I also greatly appreciate sometimes seeing Star Wars on their projector screen, over a hockey game, but I did recently see that there as well.

Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Angry”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

what started as a fun evening ended in us leaving after being assaulted by the security staff. also they charge for water. the cover charge is minimal and the music was good. but like I said laying hands on a 120lb girl without asking her to move first is criminal. they are lucky that charges weren't pressed and they apologized. bruises don't lie. we will not be back. ever.

2 Thank IanSchwede
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Electronic doesn't mean dancing...”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Agreed with some review that this is clearly a local hang out but what wrong with that? We love EDM and tried to find a place to go and shake our booties on a Monday (a challenge in any city) and came across this place online. No cover which was nice. It wasn't very busy but they had a really interesting projection system, a disco ball in full effect and played (as advertised) a wide variety of electronic music. At 1:25 AM still no one on the dance floor but we hit it anyways and in no time there were at least 10 people cutting a rug with us. DJ took requests, music was great and they even let us take an event poster as a souvenir of our evening. Turned out to be a pretty funky little Monday night. Thanks!

1 Thank Ally Mack B
Vicosa, MG
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Different”
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

This isn't exactly the place that you should go to meet new people or even to date someone. If you just want to hear different songs, see diferent styles of people and to drink a beer without that hi-end stuff, then it's ok!