“Excellent bed&breakfast”

Benner's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 53 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed in a modern-furnished and large room (with a wonderful jacuzzi-bathroom) with terrace and we have excellent breakfasts for a very reasonable price. The owner is friendly and the position is good, there is free parking and public transport in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Reusa

Reviewed February 23, 2009

I decided to stay at this B & B as opposed to the standard business hotel when travelling to Ottawa this recent time. This B & B is a family owned business in a lovely decorated semi-detached home in the East part of Ottawa's downtown. I dealt with the owner's son (Kevan) and he was a very hospitable and welcoming person. I stayed in the McDonald room, which is very nice with its own private bathroom down the hall. The other two rooms have ensuite bathrooms. The place is cozy and is decorated very nicely, and you do feel at home there. Yes....the floors are squeaky, but this is an older home, and its to be expected - it really wasn't as bad as others reviewers have claimed. Things to be aware of............I found it a bit cold at nights, and had to use the comforter in my room (which as fine). There is no shampoo in the bathrooms so make sure you bring your own. Breakfast is pretty fixed (time wise)...between 730am and 9 only. No food allowed in the rooms (which is understandable). The location is a bit far from downtown, but if you have a car or if the weather is nice, its not a big problem. The rooms all have complimentary wireless internet, and have a TV. My room had a balcony/porch which would be nice in the spring/summer. Beds are super comfortable. Breakfast was very nice. The owner has a flair for decoration which elevates this B & B above your typical establishment.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank galileocan
Reviewed November 5, 2008

Me and my fiance stayed at the B&B at the end of October for 2 nights and it was a very relaxing experience. The owner is very friendly and doesnt crowd you, when we got there he showed us our room and the bathroom and gave us the internet password and door pass.
We stayed in the Mcdonald room and it was beautiful, the sheets are changed ever day and the whole room cleaned, the bathroom is down the hall and its a big bathroom which is also cleaned every day. The floors are a squeaky and sometimes i felt bad because there was another couple staying in the Laurier room beside ours and when we would get up to take a shower i felt as if i was constantly waking them but it didnt bug me enough to give the place a lower grade.
The street is nice and its about a 20 min walk from the Byward market which is a must see, we also went to the rideau center and my fiance checked out the huge book market beside the byward.
There is a dog there, its a little daschund and its adorable, he does sometimes come up to see you at breakfast which was fine with us but if you have a thing about dogs seeing you then dont stay here.
Overall i would definatly stay here again and i would recommed this place to everyone i know.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 27, 2008

I stayed in the Laurier room in this B&B for 2 nights on a week-long business trip. Each night was spent in a B&B in various cities throughout Eastern Ontario. This was the best one of the week.
In fact I have stayed in many B&B's over the years and this one is just about as well-rounded as you are going to get.
The welcome was friendly; I did not feel obligated to 'chat' and did not feel neglected either.
Yes the floors are squeaky - it's an old (well-maintained) house.
Yes, you can hear people walking along the floors (I bring earplugs with me wherever I stay).
The bed was firm, clean and smelled fresh. The ensuite bathroom was brand new and very clean.
The doors have locks on them (this is not the case in all B&B's).
The breakfast was plentiful and warm - ready just at the agreed time.
I went for a run along the Rideau River (very close) early one morning and felt very safe.
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank sales_girl_cambridge
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Stayed in the King Room with my 16 year old son. We were very well looked after by John Benner and his son, they were both keen to make sure we were ok and gave us info on places to go, how to get around and also helped us plan our onward journey. The room was excellent, with it's own kitchen and dining area, air con (much needed) and huge bathroom. The whole place was incredibly clean and as others have said - breakfasts were amazing! It's a 20 minute stroll into town - the Byward Market is en route and definately a 'must see'. I would certainly stay at Benners again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Cagsyb
Reviewed August 25, 2007

My boyfriend and I recently spent 5 days in Ottawa (August 10 - 15, 2007). Before we booked any accomodations I decided to do a little research to see what was there and in the right price range. I had never stayed in a bed & breakfast before and had really never the urge to so I scouted out all the downtown hotel possibilities. I was quite dissapointed by what I found and for the price so I decided to expand my search to include B&B's.

We ended up booking at the Benner's (which would be both my boyfriends and my first B&B experience). Upon our arrival we were greeted by Mr. Benner who was more than welcoming. He showed us around and to our room and did everything to make sure that we were taken care of; he even went and got a plug in cooler for us to keep some drinks and snacks in. We stayed in the Laurier Room which was absolutely gorgeous and extremely comfortable. We had an ensuite bathroom (which was great for privacy), a queen sized bed (which was really comfortable), a full length mirror and pleanty of room for all of our stuff.

Breakfast was AMAZING! I think we rolled out the front door every morning because breakfast was sooo filling! I could never finish all of it because there was so much! It was delicious. We had french toast with a hint of orange in it (amazingly delicious), omelettes, grilled tomatoes and zucchini, melon, strawberries, kiwi, pineapple, coffee, tea, juice.... Oh I could go on!!! It was amazing!

The ONLY thing that we wish were better were the floors. They are EXTREMELY squeaky and we felt like we were waking the entire house up every time we had to use the washroom or when we got up early in the morning. But that's it. We have absolutely no other complaints!!! This was waaaay better than staying in a hotel that was over priced and with just a plain continental breakfast. The price was great, the breakfast was great, the room was great, the house was great, the host was amazing... Everything was great!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank SunshineSuzy
Reviewed August 19, 2006

I usually stay at a hotel when I visit Ottawa. I tried Benner's for something different and was pleasantly surprised. The accommodations are outstanding. I stayed at a boutique hotel recently that brides themselves on quality and service. The Benner's could teach them a few things. Great location on a quiet side street. The walk to the market area and main sites is about 20 minutes along a bit of a shabby street. There is a bus stop close by. I might cab home at night if you're out late. The website photos are accurate. The rooms are big and include bathrobe and slippers. The breakfast was scrumptious. I would definitely stay here again.

5  Thank dynamyc