“Surprisly Good”

Cuisines: Bar, Canadian
Thornhill, Canada
“Surprisly Good”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Dinner here with my Son on a busy Saturday night.
The restaurant was packed with patrons and quite noisy. The crowd was that 25 to 40 range.
That being said, we were sat at a High Table which we shared with a group of 6.
We enjoyed (the 2 of us) 5 appetizers!
The Nagano Pork belly was among the best I have ever had and was paired with the perfect foil
of watermelon, mint and jalapeno. Definitely a hit.
The foie gras and fried oyster appetizers were close seconds as favorites.
The Horse on Brioche was disappointing (but very fresh) with its lack of flavour beyond the sweetness of the meat.
We finished with Chicken and Waffles (son) and scallops which were well prepared.
The scallops were exceptional but the size was small for an entrée.
Great selection of Bourbons and American Whiskey and they make a mean Manhattan!

My biggest suggestion would be for more wait staff on a busy Saturday. Our server was most pleasant even in the face of way too many customers!

• Visited May 2014

Ottawa, Canada
“Simply the best”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Danny Mongeon Oh! Yes what a great chef a twisted beautifull mind. Talented chef his the best chef for sure. To imagine a foie gras the way he served it it's out of tis world, my husband was and still one of the best chef in Ottawa but Danny you are better and that I did'nt think I would have said that until I die but it's true. Everyone should at last try it once in the restaurant buisness these great chef dont stay to long in the same place so hurry up dont miss your chance.
The waiter were very friendly and attentive to our need and with the experience I have myself in this buisness... Way to go Hooch team

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank natasha d
Ottawa
“Not bad”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We showed up just before 6pm on a Saturday night, and though the restaurant was completely empty save for one party of two, the servers seemed reluctant at first to give us a table, since apparently there were many reservations. We were surprised, since it was so early. We did get seats at a "group table" - a long table with 10 seats. It was a bit awkward to eat with total strangers closely next to us, and there wasn't much space for the food, condiments, elbows etc (and I'm petite!). We shared the fried oysters app ($12), and it was great. The candied ginger, the avocado sauce, the three oysters, were so good, although if you are hungry, you shouldn't share because it wasn't a lot of food. I ordered the chicken and waffles, half order, and it was plenty of food and really good value at $14. The waffle was good, but nothing special (it was a bit too soft and smushy for my taste), but the fried Cornish hen was excellent, crunchy and juicy, and with a perfectly balanced sweet and spicy sauce. My sister ordered the scallops, which were really well cooked, but despite being a main, consisted of 3 scallops. It looked like an appetizer to the both of us, and we don't even have big appetites. Only one dessert though, pecan pie with ice cream. Service was friendly and attentive throughout - none of the service problems others have mentioned. I would go back, but only with a reservation so I could sit at a real table, and because the table of 10 men behind us shared the roasted suckling piglet and it looked and smelled amazing.

• Visited March 2014
Lake Placid, New York
“Best poutine on this planet!”
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

We walked in it was slow, seemed like a local place . Bartender was very friendly and intrested in what we had to say. Awesome cocktails made with egg whites which was different. We ordered the poutine and it was taking a while so I got nervous but they make it to order it's fresh and like no poutine id ever had. TO DIE FOR. I will definetly go back on my next trip to Ottawa

Ottawa, Canada
“Inexperienced service stole the show ”
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Excellent food, but slow and shaky service.
If you are going with a big
Group I would say find another venue, at least until management trains their servers to be able to handle groups over ten. I had two drinks but would have spent way more money had the young lady come around more often. She had to ask each of us what we had for dinner when printing the bills which only added to time wasted. She was sweet and enthusiastic and I think a few more training shifts might benefit her.