“New, friendly … a bit isolated”

Residence Inn Ottawa Airport
Ranked #1 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed January 19, 2014

On the pluses
1) The hotel is brand new
2) The staff are helpful and friendly
3) The room sizes are very big

On the negatives
1) I think I smelled smoking at night (in the room)
2) The hotel is a little isolated … there's nothing nearby

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank SaqibQ
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Ottawa Airport

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Everything is great about this place, people were helpful and friendly, the entire hotel was spotless. The restaurant was great, fresh food, great selection for breakfast. I'm afraid to go on about it . Don't want it to fill up for the next time I need to stay. Thank you to the staff for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: I'm sure they are all excellent!
3  Thank Tamsinart
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I did not have a car and front desk manager, Roger, personally drove me to a nearby restaurant for dinner and picked me up when done. He truly went above and beyond and represented the service you would expect at another Marriott brand, The Ritz Carlton. The price, value and amenities can't be beat at this location. Not to mention, the rooms are BRAND new and I suspect I was the first one to stay in my room. Plenty of space.

Room Tip: 5th floor has a good view of downtown.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Brian Z
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Hi Lee: I just wanted to drop you a note to thank you for making our weekend stay really great. The use of your common room for our team dinners was so helpful. The breakfasts were super and again Thank-you for having your staff get the Sunday breakfast out early for us, it went a long way in getting our team ready to race and we did super at the meet. All of your staff was very accommodating and kind, if you would communicate our Thanks to them it would be appreciated. The accommodations were fantastic and the kids loved the big beautiful rooms .

1  Thank Cookie K
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I travel for business very often and I'm not one to write on here but this time I am making an exception. Beyond being a very clean and spacious hotel with very comfortable beds what prompted me to wrtie my impressions was the great professionalism and courtesy of the front desk staff. I have been greeted and received assisted by many front desk staff members in my travellings but I have never had such a warm and heartfelt welcome. I don't normally notice names of front desk staff but in this case I made a mental note of it and her name was Erica (not sure if spelling is correct) This was by far the best courteous service I have ever had in a hotel for a very long time. She was so amazing and it made my day. As I was getting ready to leave my room in the morning even the cleaning lady greeted me with a smile. I definitely recommend this hotel so you can experience yourself how the staff makes you feel so warmly welcomed. I will definitely be back next time I'm on business in Ottawa. Thanks for a great stay !

Room Tip: Very comfy beds
1  Thank D T
Reviewed January 6, 2014

It was a dark and stormy night with the wind whipping around the snow. We arrived for a overnight before going to the airport.

The hotel is only 4 week old and in perfect condition. On arrival we booked our morning airport shuttle and wakeup call. Since we had such an early departure we were going miss breakfast. They receptionist (Richard I think) offered to make us a boxed breakfast for the morning. - What a nice gesture especially since we are traveling with a 4 year old.

The next morning our shuttle was warmed up and ready to go. derive to the airport was very friendly.

We paid to keep our car there for the week. what a great idea, they have covered parking which will save us digging out our car when we return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank David S
Reviewed January 4, 2014

On arrival we found parking is under the front outdoor entrance parking lot and not secure and also very open to the environment where snow and freezing rain blows in on one’s vehicle even though the vehicle initially appears to be parked underground.

Two elevators are required to reach ones room from the parking garage with the first one from parking lot to the front entrance and then a walk thought the lobby to the 2nd elevator.

We have stayed here twice, once in king suite and once in a one bedroom suite

The regular king suite is a bit on the small side but suitable for a short business or couples stay – The one bedroom suite is designed well for families in that the washroom is outside of the bedroom a convenience appreciated but not often part of older Residence Inns.

Both rooms were furnished in the latest Residence Inn newest eclectic furniture style which while it looks great from a visible perspective, it is however not that comfortable or functional to sit on for any length of time. The couch is hard and very un-comfortable and even with pillows it is extremely difficult to find a relaxing lounging position. The desk is situated to look out the window and does not even face the TV as in previous designs. The desk chair does not relax back from 90 degrees and is extremely uncomfortable to sit at for any length of time.

The TV’s in the suites have full HD and a good variety of channels, however in the one bedroom suite we had, the TV was placed away in an empty corner of the main room and hung on the wall which was not even in front of or even aligned to the couch making the viewing angle such that it was impossible to concentrate or even view the picture.

There is only one thermostat in the one bedroom however the bedroom was hot and the main room cold something which we found somewhat of an inconvenience on a very cold night.

While the property may have little control over furnishings specified by Marriott the staff on the other hand are faultless, always ready to help and very friendly.

In particular the breakfast staffs were ‘awesome’ constantly restocking and attending to the customers always greeting new arrivals with a smile and ready to help with being asked.

While we did not use the pool or the fitness center both appeared attractive and the fitness center had a nice assortment of new equipment.

Most certainly we would consider staying here again and hopefully the property and Marriott can correct some of the ‘comfort and parking issues’ that come with a New property.

2  Thank andy.karla