“Decadence”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I read about this restaurant while on the Air Canada flight to Ottawa. The write-up and glowing accolades intrigued me because some of the menu items sounded like an interesting mix of flavours. Seafood- yum. Supply and Demand is a ridiculously popular place and I expected to be seated at the bar for my 5.15pm dinner reservation. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived and the host seated me right by the front window. Prime spot for people watching both inside and on the street. Rarely do I order three courses when dining alone- but here I ordered even more than that. Squid ink pasta, chicaron, a platter of oysters and a decadent sweet dessert creation. Excellent wine paring with the meal and top notch mixology on the cocktails. Loved the almost painful hipster decor and enjoyed the cool as cucumber employees. Was impressed with the professional service and attention to detail. Rarely do I feel enthusiastic about dining alone- but this was woth it- and I totally indulged.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We've now been to Supply and Demand three times and received outstanding food and service (relaxed but extremely professional) each time. Since none of the dishes disappointed I'm reluctant to single any out for particular mention -- it's safe allowing how much you like the sound of the dish to govern choice, knowing that the preparation will be exceptional. On the third visit, the fact that the menu is quite small -- as it should be for this quality of food -- and doesn't change very often became relevant, so we may now well wait a few weeks until we see some new items on the menu before returning. But that's the only minor (in fact really non-) quibble, and in no way detracts from this being one of the very best restaurants in Ottawa. One appealing feature is that they are happy to serve half orders of the pastas for those with more modest appetites (or who want to save room for three courses), and, unlike most restaurants, when they serve a half order it is exactly half-priced too. Overall, for ingredients, preparation/cooking, and wines of this quality, the prices seem very reasonable -- in fact quite low. Since it has become so popular, the noise level can be a little high, though not so loud as to inhibit conversation. We went originally when a friend observed that this was the only place apart from home where she would now eat Italian food in Ottawa. She was right.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I went here a few weeks ago. I ordered the tuna tartar appetizer and it was amazing. It was such a light and flavourful dish. I didnt like the bread and butter that accompanied the meal, I thought it was too dry. As for the main course I chose the surf and turf. I was pleasently surprise to find out it was octopus and chicken as oppose to the classic lobster and pork/steak that I've had many times. I can say that it was absolutely the BEST chicken thigh and BBQ octopus I have ever had. I didnt know chicken could taste so good! For desert, I chose a raspberry stuffed pastry with a cheesecake coulis. The general ambience and staff were good and I would definetly recommend this restaurant for the food !

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We visited with friends of ours and their two young children. Staff were friendly and very accommodating. I loved their selection of interesting beer. Dozen oysters were on point. Delicious. All the small plates and main courses were perfectly cooked and very tasty. Even my super-picky husband loved his meal! This is one of my favourite restaurants in Ottawa and we will definitely be back.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Three of us went on a special occasion; it was our first visit even though the restaurant is in our neighborhood. We decided to try a variety of dishes. As apps, we had the tuna crudo (the puffed rice and cilantro sprouts were great); the kale salad; and the mushrooms with polenta. You can't describe the dishes well in so few words because many ingredients are involved, and the tastes and textures are super. For mains we had the black pepper spaghetti, the squid ink rigatoni, and the octopus/chicken surf 'n turf. Again, I've left out many ingredients. All were very innovative and delicious. The spaghetti could have used more up-front black pepper, and it needed a bit more liquid.

Service was among the best in the city. The wine list is modest, but well matched to the food.

It's a small place, so reserve early.