“Unique food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2014

My wife and I heard good things about this restaurant so we decided to try it out for ourselves. We love food and are always looking to try the best places in Ottawa. To start off, we were seated fairly quickly and brought out menus. The server went though some changes to the menu and in no time we knew what we wanted. We order a red beat risotto that was delicious along with BBQ calamari and flat bread with spinach, cheese and olives. All the plates were sharing plates and we thought that 3 was enough for the both of us. We loved the atmosphere and the service was good. I would keep the recommendation going, so if you ever get a chance to try something different, this is the place to go.

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Great concept, excellent food. Had the ox tongue sandwich which was told tastes like smoked meat and it was amazing. Foie gras burger was delicious, as were the shrimp pogos. The breading sweet and succulent. All deli meats made on site. Try some Broadhead on tap to wash it all down.

1  Thank OttawaAl81
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I am a nibbler, not one to sate his appetite in two dimensions by being served a large spread, just so I can walk out of the joint with a more expansive belt and a sense of having good value. If creativity of taste, texture and food presentation brings a sigh of contentment, food prepared from herbs and veggies grown on the restaurant roof and by family members of the owners, as well as sourced locally, open your mind and taste buds at Two Six Ate. With a kitchen open till 2 AM, frequented by those in the trade, and an eclectic selection of small plates which allow for conversation, nibbling, wine/beer, and simply feeding the yen to relax, this is the place. The chef is my kind of guy; fearless in his combos of foods and tastes. The eating of good food, like wine, is an aging process. "Bullet train" eateries are mere factories. Feed your innards and patience, and ooze out towards home or wherever. Perfect in service or speed of delivery? Perhaps not every time. Soothing, tasty, surprising? You bet, mate, at the Two Six Ate.

2  Thank raviphilar
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Thought we would try it after it appeared on You Gotta Eat Here. The menu is pretty limited and they suggest that you order a few items per person. That would make it a pretty expensive meal since each item is $10 to $15. I tried the burger...nice crust but hit some sections that were almost raw in the middle. It was probably only a 4 oz patty. Taste was pretty good. My daughter had the pogo's. She wasn't impressed. My wife did really enjoy the pasta special, but it was a very small portion. My son had the poutine with a deboned chicken leg on top. That was tasty as well.
We only had one dish each, with two drinks, and the bill was $75 plus tip. We've had much better meals for the same price.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I've been here a couple times and I really like the concept. Good job on the atmosphere and design of the restaurant. Menu is fairly short, but the point I'm guessing is to use fresh, local foods which I think is great. Because of this, though, not a lot of variety especially if you have limitations (can't have much gluten or have tummy issues). If you don't, you'd have a lot more options. I had their chicken wings which I've heard rave reviews about but they were just ok, not much better than most restaurants or pubs. My partner had the burger which he said was pretty good but way too small for the price (even though its good quality beef and fairly tasty, he said it was still way too tiny).
I'd like to give it another try if the menu changes a bit and try something else, but I wasn't impressed with the service that much. We waited a long time for drinks (and it was beer and wine, not complicated cocktails), and then the server gave my partner a bit of attitude when he ordered the wrong beer (he had wanted a draft but got a bottle, but was willing to take it anyway since he'd opened it) . The drink menu sorta doesn't make it clear between draft and bottles (at least in our impression, as I agreed it looked confusing) so it was just a mistake. But we got a bit of 'well no one else has made that mistake' attitude, which I don't think he shouldn't have done.

Besides that, the server was fairly nice. I think it was because it was late dinner and he had a few other tables but no one else working the floor (he had to make some fancy cocktails for other tables, which took a long time). The last time I was there, I tried the Bloody Mary and it was fantastic. So this place has promise, but hopefully they will work out the kinks and the food and service will improve as they continue to grow.

1  Thank Roadtripgalot