“Small Portions, Big Taste”
Review of Two Six Ate

Two Six Ate
Ranked #279 of 2,765 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dartmouth, Canada
“Small Portions, Big Taste”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

When we visit Ottawa (Our children live there, so the visits are quite frequent), we are always eager to try different restaurants. On this trip, at Christmas time, a trip to the Gladstone Theater for a live performance of Miracle on 34th St. had us looking for a restaurant close by. Two SIx Eat was just around the corner, so the location was perfect.

It is a small restaurant with a modern decor and the bar in the back. (I suspect there may be additional seating upstairs as I watched food being carried up there), but the main floor is an intimate cozy setting for a meal. It was not crowded on this Saturday evening but we assumed it was because it was close to Christmas. This meant that we had excellent service, with our waiter always there when needed - but never intrusive. Service was not fast, but we were in no hurry and had time to kill.

We were warned that the portions were small, and although this was true, the prices reflected this so no one minded, and no food was wasted. We are used to being served "Texas" portions and often leave lots of food on the plate, so unless you are especially hungry, the portions served here are appropriate. I did not leave hungry. I ordered the pasta special, and it was served on a small rectangular plate that fir the pasta exactly, so it seemed smaller than it was; a bigger plate would have made the serving seem larger.

The food was delicious. I had a fettochini pasta dish with a tomato sauce with mushrooms, Canadian bacon and pork belly, and it was very good. My wife had their signature burger, and she said it was really good. Again, it was small, but perfectly adequate for her appetite. My daughter, taking the "Small portions" to heart ordered two items, and although they were both good, she did not finish it all. Her meals were also delicious.

They have a good choice of wine and cocktails, and the prices were reasonable. My glass of Italian wine was very nice and the cocktails sampled were equally good.

This is a good restaurant to try in Ottawa. Don't go looking for plates piled with food you cannot finish, go looking for good food well prepared and delicious.

• Visited December 2012