“Excellent meal and very professional service.”
Review of Gezellig

Gezellig
Ranked #18 of 2,916 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Modern, Hospitality-driven seasonal restaurant in the Westboro neighbourhood of Ottawa. Known for deeply caring service, delicious and approachable food and great value. Perfect for a casual lunch, family-friendly Sunday brunch or special dinner seven nights a week.
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Gezellig lived up to past experiences, very tasty food and service was not rushed, very attentive and professional.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

It was our first experience at Gezellig and we were not disappointed.
Nice decor, the place is not too loud and allows conversations.
The two hostesses were not very professional and did not reflect the quality of the waiting staff.
My companion complained how uncomfortable the chairs back seats are and I support our opinion. Next time, I'll ask for a banquette.

Our waitress was very professional. We ordered two glasses of wine before ordering our food and she was very knowledgable about the wine, grape, fermentation etc.
We started with a beef tartare and an escargot appetizers. Both very good.
We both selected the lamb shank as a main and when my companion asked if the feta cheese could be removed from the plate, our waitress offered to have it replace by a fresh local goat cheese.She mentioned the name of the farm and how great it was. We both agreed with her recommendation and I'm glad we did.
The shank was fantasctic, do was the polenta served with it.
The dessert menu is somehow limited but the Blondie and the Butterfinger we selected were great. The Beaume de Venise we selected with the dessert was a perfect match and a great value.

In short, a very pleasant evening. Great, professional service.

We shall be back soon.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I confess, I am a big fan of Stephen Beckta's restaurants. I go to his flagship restaurant twice a year and I was never disapointed. I had my first visit at Gazellig since it's opening and it won't be my last. Exceptional food and service, just what I expected from Stephen Beckta's. The same goes for the wine menu. Compared to his restaurant on Nepean St, it is more casual and feels more like a bistrot. Much more like Play, Food and Wine but not same. We were a party of five, so had to be seated on the second floor section and I felt we lost a little bit of the atmosphere of the restaurant that night but that is a small detail. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Gezellig has become a great addition to the Westboro restaurant scene. It is close to where I live, so the perfect place to get together with friends, whether just for an informal dinner or to mark an occasion. The menu is relatively small, but all the dishes I have had (over the past year, probably half of the mains on the menu) have been well prepared and delicious. I can't say there has been one that has missed the mark. The wait staff are knowledgeable and attentive, but never 'in your face'. The wine list is enormous. My only criticism is that the mark-up on the wines is very high. This may be the 'new norm' at restaurants, but it nonetheless irks me. In spite of this, I will still be going to Gezellig on a regular basis.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

There is a lot of competition in the restaurant world in Ottawa. Gezellig narrows the field significantly. I had heard of it and thought that it would be worth visiting, being part of the Beckta brand. A colleague had eaten at Gezelig recently and couldn't say enough about it. She did warn me of the overly detailed and slightly pretentious description of every liquid we were about to consume. That was a bit off-putting. By the time my wife and I arrived for our diner, I had forgotten about the aforementioned wine snobbery, but was reminded of it when we were asked if we would like anything to drink. The waiter went into a long description of aromas, tones, “followed by a hint of…”, blah, blah, blah. Even when it’s explained to me I don’t get it. If the wine tastes good with the food, then I’m happy to let the expert recommend what to have with various courses.

At the beginning of the detailed wine description I said, “I was warned about this part”. The server simply said, “OK, I’ll tone it down a bit”, and he did. No problem, no snobbery. But my wife reminded me that the Beckta brand is based on a wide variety and solid knowledge of great wine.

We started dinner with Foie Gras and escargot appetizers that were heavenly. The main course for me was a beef short rib and my wife had halibut. Both were exquisite. We decided to share the cheese plate for desert and we must have been interesting to watch because we ate the various local cheeses with obvious delight.

I have very high expectations when I go out for dinner and this is one of the best meals I have ever eaten in a restaurant. The service was attentive and excellent. Never pretentious and although we were attended to by a lot of staff, none lingered too long at our table and they were caring and professional. The price was good value and exactly what I would have expected from the food and service that we received.

I will definitely go back and I am telling everyone I know what a great restaurant Gezellig is. You simply must experience this fantastic restaurant.

2  Thank NonameDave