“Not up to Expectations”
Review of Gezellig

Gezellig
Ranked #7 of 2,736 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
ontario
“Not up to Expectations”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Maybe my expectations were are too high----but I don't get the buzz about this place. We went for lunch mid-week. The place is certainly nicely designed and the service staff we had were eager to please ( although reflecting a bit of inexperience despite the personable owner being right there keeping an eye on things. We had several waiter spills which we had to ask to be cleaned up). Ordering was fine, staff helpful in that respect, and the food was delivered promptly ( well, perhaps too promptly as we had barely got our drink ). But overall the food was disappointing. The duck stew was more like a soup. There was duck meat in it, plus a lot of onion as well, and far too much broth for a stew. We asked for more bread to soak up the juices but received only the smallest additional slices. It was simply not enough food for a main. The steak tartare was O.K. as an appetizer but our friends felt it was a little too chunky in texture for tartare. The desserts fared little better. The Creme Brule was more like a large tart, and the chocolate gelato had an icyness to it that suggested too long in the refigerator.

Although prices seem moderate for a higher end restaurant, the quality is not really there nor the portions. We all left hungry. For me,there is better value out there.

1 Thank nairene

Ottawa, Ontario
“Welcome to the "hood”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

An excellent addition to the Westboro neighbourhood. On a sunny Saturday, the locale was bright and pleasant. Lunch was efficiently served by friendly server. Brunch menu offers a variety. Shortrib steak/ frites and gravlax were tasty and both highly rated. There was room for the pistachio cream tarte which is worth planning the rest of the meal around.
We are looking forward to an evening visit soon. We also look forward to exploring the wine list.

Ottawa, Canada
“Disapointed”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The food at Gezelling is good, no question, but I was disapointed as I expected better especially for the prices. I had the muscles which were tender and plum then I had the seafood chowder which had a tasty spicy (hot) bouillon which I particularly enjoy but there should be a warning about the spicyness of the bouillon (another person in our party did not enjoy it because of the spicyness). Most disapointing was the substance of the chowder: 2 medium to large shrips, 2 muscles, 3 tiny clams and 1 sea scallop with at least a cup of chopped potatoes and 2/3 of a cup of carrots plus some other vegetables. The seafood was scarce, The other person in the party was lucky, she had one more muscle than I did....
The Creme Brule was tasty but extremely runny.
The highlight was actually a Norman Hardie Pinot Noir from Prince Edward County, and that was a pleasant surprise especially from PE County.
Service was excellent except for the receptionist when she retreived our coats, She simply dropped them in our arms, not a problem for me but a bit of class should have been excercised and at least it should have been properly presented to my wife to make it easy to put on.

I expected more, either it lacks supervision or previous successes of the owners have generated some contempt.

Nova Scotia
“Great way to almost end the year”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

4 of us dined here on December 30th. All of us enjoyed our meals. The selection is wide enough to cover most tastes. The plates are nicely sized and presented. Having an appetizer and entree will leave a little space for the tasty desserts.

Our server was absolutely perfect. His attention to us was on par with much more expensive restaurants that I have dined in. Not obtrusive, but there when we needed him.

The only "negative" comment I can make is on the noise level. As the space is mostly hard surfaces, there are many reflections to the sound and it can get loud when the place is full.

I would certainly return on my next trip to Ottawa.

stevebeckta, Owner at Gezellig, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Powerplay: I really appreciate you dining with us at Gezellig and for taking the time to post about your great experience on Tripadvisor. I'm really looking forward to sharing it with the team.

I'm sorry that you found the noise level a little high. We are putting in more sound baffling in early January which should solve the problem so you can have a perfect experience on your next visit. I hope to be able to welcome you back personally before too long.

With many thanks,

Steve
Gatineau, Canada
“Was expecting a bit more”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I went to this restaurant last night with some friends. Since this restaurant is well rated in the region, I was expecting a lot. Unfortunately, the restaurant didn't meet our expectations. The sweetbreads I had for the first course were good but were tasting a bit like fried chicken. The chowder I had as a main course was very spicy but not particularly tasty. Our waitress was professional but the service was slow in general. The atmosphere of the restaurant is great tough.

Overall, it was a good experience although it was not the best value for money and I don't understand why this restaurant is rated so high in Ottawa.

• Visited December 2012
stevebeckta, Owner at Gezellig, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Voyageur: Thank you very much for dining with us at gezellig recently, and for your feedback to allow us to get better. I'm sorry that there were a few issues at your dinner and hope that we can offer you another experience that lives up to your expectations. We have received many compliments about both the seafood chowder and the sweetbreads, but obviously they were not prepared or seasoned properly the night you were in. I'm glad that you enjoyed the atmosphere and the service, but I'm sorry that you had a wait for your food at some point. I really hope that we can have you back and thrill you with all aspects of your meal. I would love to make a reservation for you personally to ensure everything is as great as you had hoped. I can be reached at sbeckta@beckta.com at any point.

With many thanks,