“Limited choices; some dishes too spicy”
Review of Union Local 613

Union Local 613
Ranked #88 of 2,900 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Best bets: 1. Deep fried green tomatoes, but wish we had more than 4 pieces!
2. Fried chicken - must try
3. Corn bread - freshly baked, good body
4. Fried cherry pie - crust surprisingly not too greasy

Nothing too spectacular: Catfish

Definite flops: 1. Stuffed mirliton - greasy, too spicy, over priced for a veggie dish
2. Side dish of chard with wings - too spicy and greasy

Altogether, there are only a few items done well. This resto has a lot of room to improve since its menu is so limited. But if you have a hankering for fried chicken, this is the place.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Went to lunch here- someone recommended the chicken- since I love fried chicken, I thought to check it out. It was perfectly cooked and juicy. Be aware that the main dishes come without any sides ( not even a salad) so immediately upon receiving my meal I ordered something additional- which was the green tomatoes. I think the resto could add something extra on the plate- something green and crunchy ( even sticks of celery) - something, or really tell you when you order. It's not a complete meal to serve 2 pieces of chicken. However, it was good, I will return and there are a few other Southern dishes that could be tasty on menu. The service however was great!

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I went here for dinner on a Stuarts night. I had heard amazing things about this resto and had very high expectations. The restaurant has a very cool vibe, with a 1920/1930s feel. Great ambience (although a bit loud) and great decorations. The menu has very few options... I tried the catfish. It was really tasty, but the main meal only comes with the fish so you have to order side dishes. I had the grits which were really bland. Overall it was a fun dining experience, but the food was slightly overpriced and overrated if you ask me. I would go back- but more for the fun ambience than for the food...

1  Thank Montrealgirl514
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Next to its neighbours Toronto and Montreal, Ottawa totally gets a bad rep. This rep is totally undeserved, when there are fabulous places like Union in the city.

The ambiance here is amazing. Nice place for a date. There is just so much attention to detail in all the plating, the way the drinks are served, etc. Staff is super friendly and you can tell they love their jobs. Every drink I've had has been excellent, as has the food.

Go downstairs and check out the speakeasy behind the bookcase!!

Have been here twice in the last month and would not hesitate to return or recommend.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I had a great dinner there in the basement. The ceiling is made from reclaimed wood and there is an exposed upright piano as decor. The staff was very accommodating for gluten-free options. The green deviled eggs were amazing to start things off. I had catfish and my husband had chicken. Delicious sides of green beans and pinto beans. We will definitely be back!