“Nice food and atmosphere - irritating pesky guy bothering us”
Review of Union Local 613

Union Local 613
Ranked #135 of 2,738 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Uppsala, Sweden
“Nice food and atmosphere - irritating pesky guy bothering us”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place had a great menu and absolutely lovely atmosphere with a funky yet beautiful interior design. The service was nice, and the bar menu was good. The southern style food is very well done - in my opinion better than the Red Rooster in Harlem, NY which gets a bit too much credti. BUT, the staff and manager allow a local 'character', who they probably think adds some flavour to their union theme, to bug the cr@p out of the paying customers. This guy talks to everyone, gets right in your face obviously from a total inability to tell when he is invading your space, sits on your chair with your guests if you go to the washroom, puts his arm around you (he did it to me), and generally doesn't take hints when you get mad. This is extremely irritating when you are trying to talk to your guests, and when you end up paying about 40-50$ (incl. tax I think) at least a person to eat a full meal there. The union theme is interesting, but ultimately the owners are making money off people who are willing to pay for a nice meal out. No one wants to be bothered by some guy who thinks he is super interesting but isn't. When I complained to the floor manager, he explained that this guy is a local etc. I think the staff needs to understand that we are hesitant to come back (and spend money there) because we don't want to be bothered again. So he may have lost a customer who actually really likes the restaurant.

Visited July 2012

Ottawa, Canada
“Out of this world cocktails, great food and fantastic service”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This restaurant is a new gem in ottawa. The decor is beautiful, the drinks are amazing and the food has a southern twist that you won't find anywhere else. truly a great place!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Sophies_world29
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have been to Union Local 613 two times now. Once for dinner and once for lunch. Both were very good meals but the lunch nudged out the dinner by a hair. I had a wonderful, decadent pimento cheese grilled cheese sandwich and was tempted to lick the plate. The service was attentive, and very, very good. I am looking forward to returning!

• Visited January 2013
“Great chicken”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I would reccomend giving this place a try. I especially liked their chicken and hominy cheese grits. The staff is nice and the ambiance is amazing.
It is probably my partners favorite restaurant and he is quite the foodie. Definitely worth a go!

• Visited September 2012
Halifax, Canada
“Unbelievably fantastic.”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I wasn't certain what we would find but Union didn't disappoint. We were a large group on business and although we were quite squished at our table, the excellent service, unique menu, and incredibly good food made our visit a very memorable one. Can't recommend this place enough. Outstanding.

Visited December 2012