“A bit of southern cuisine in Ottawa - can it be?”
Review of Union Local 613

Union Local 613
Ranked #171 of 2,808 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I think this is one of my favourites in Ottawa. If you like southern food and have a love of bourbon, you have found the place to be. The food is great as is the service. It is communal seating at some tables which adds to the feel of this place although some may not like that. The yard bird is a must as are the fried green tomatoes and the grits. Don't debate the side dishes. It has to be the grits and the corn bread.

There are newer reviews for Union Local 613

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Energy-filled atmosphere with attentive and helpful servers who know the food and drink -- and that was on a weeknight. It was a challenge to get a reservation on Friday and Saturday (plan ahead if you need a table). The food is generally alive and flavourful -- a little fiesta for your mouth. Really good selection of beers and some decent whiskies to choose from as well. Fried green tomatoes are a nice, but heavy-ish as a starter. The "georgia candy roaster squash & peanut soup" was delicious but the bits of peanuts were a bit off-putting for those that don't like texture in their soup. The "buttermilk fried yardbird" is juicy with a crispy breading (and big).

But to be honest, the menu is adventuresome, which I quite enjoyed, but I think the side dishes eclipse the main dishes. I would recommend ordering a bunch of sides in place full dishes. MUST TRY the cheddar & garlic grits which could very well be mistaken for creamy mac and cheese. The bourbon corn bread also mouth-watering. Yum. Brussel sprouts and carrot/celery were also tasty for the necessary "healthier" dishes to include.

Even if your not looking for a food adventure, the drink and ambiance with greater servers makes it a highly recommend spot for Ottawa Centre.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a lover of southern cusine and fried chicken I was anxious to try Union 613. Unfortunately, my experience at the restaurant was mixed - the front-end of the restaurant was exceptional, however same could not be said about the kitchen. Let me begin with the positive side of the equation which was that the service which was the best I have experienced in a long time. The servers were super friendly and very helpful in terms of ordering. The southern-US oriented cocktails that my two companions drank were also excellent.

Turning to the food....the bottomline was that nothing was bad, but nothing was exceptional, except for the dessert (fluffernutter: french toast stix, peanut butter mousse, bruleed marahmellow cream, concord jelly). I had the fried green tomatoes and my two companions had the georgia candy roaster squash & peanut soup. Both items were good, but neither was more than that. The same could be said for the mains, I had the fried chicken, which again was fine but lacked any zing - the coating was crunchy but needed more seasoning. My partner enjoyed the eggplant parmesan dish, and our friend has the swine special - both liked their dishes, but as noted above, were not blown awayt. The sides (brussels sprouts, cornbread and slaw) we tasted were all good.

Overall, we enjoyed our dinner, especially the attentive service, but our conclusion as we walked to the car was that the kitchen didn't quite match up to the front-end- we really wish it had, and hope it improves so that we can return and have a meal that equals the service.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Best gumbo (shrimp, rabbit and sausage) I have ever had. The corn bread was to die for! They make their own tonic (great with gin!) and I really enjoyed their pumpkin ale. Our server had just started that day and he was amazing! And the decor was very impressive which helped creating a great atmosphere.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Our meal was great - Just made Cornbread hot and light, fluffy - not dense, Blackened Catfish tastefully presented and delicious. And Gumbo - big fresh shimp, sausages in it did not overpower the more delicate flavours, good Gumbo.