“overpriced..” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of izakaya - CLOSED

izakaya
Cuisines: Japanese, Spanish, Asian, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ottawa, Ontario
“overpriced..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I just wanted to try and see what the restaurant is like because of the name. Me and some of my Japanese friends were a little excited when we got to know that this restaurant opened. I ended up finding out that it's almost nothing to do with Japanese food. To my eyes the food was Asian fusion and tasted not bad for it but I'd say they were overpriced (Dinner). I didn't see any expensive ingredients on my plate. I guess it might be the location too. We ordered an appetizer and main dish but I was still hungry after :( This is just my opinion. But they have nice atmosphere, I'm sure you'd like it.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Top restaurant in Ottawa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Been here a handful of times food is always amazing. Tuna tartar and beef tartar are delicious. Pork belly is amazing. Hello kitty cocktail is delicious. Atmosphere is great. Love the dim lighting and the background music. Can't wait to go back.

Ottawa, Canada
“Weekday evening visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

I visited Izakaya for the first time on Monday evening in January. We were a group of 6 and pretty much had the restaurant to ourselves. The decor was very nice with a large bar as the main central point with dining section off to the side. As a starter, I tried their pumpkin soup which was tasty. I also got to taste some of their speciality slaw salad with peanuts. Large portion and nice presentation. Would definite recommend trying it. I ordered an albacore tuna main dish which was very good but with just a soup to start and no bread of any kind on the table, i cant say it was very filling so I definitely ordered a dessert. Perhaps a 2nd starter to share would have done the trick. Others tried the beef shortrib which looked really good and seemed like a better portion. Others tried the beef tartar and enjoyed. Nice Asian inspired menu and friendly service. Probably a different atmosphere on the weekend when I would expect there to be more people but it was perfect that night for a quiet evening after work to catch up with friends.

• Visited January 2013
Nancy, Lorraine, France
“Good but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our second time there...both times the place was relatively quiet and the service impeccable. Good wine recommendations, very attentive, nice decor. The food is a bit of a missed opportunity. Not quite there. Some dishes, like the pumpkin soup and the seafood noodle soup, are very impressive. Others just so-so. Beef tartare is way too salty, can't taste anything. The tuna tartare is unappetizing, almost gluey. The chips with both are not good, too greasy. Delicious oysters, with lovely fresh horseradish though! Excellent house pickles, couldn't get enough. Vegetable tempura is nothing special. Overall, not bad for a Boxing Day supper, but there are better places in town.

• Visited December 2012
“Very enjoyable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Very nice atmosphere. It was my first experience with japanese cuisine and I had the shrimp soup.which was beautiful with sweet and heat although there was an herb in it that I didn't care for. The main course was also a shrimp dish and it was very good! The atmosphere os very nice and the service was excellent.