“A real surprise”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“A real surprise”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was a pleasant surprise. We were in the neighbourhood and we dropped in for a quick dinner. The restaurant is fairly open concept, so it wasn't a quiet place, but the service was fast, the menu was interesting and our food was quite good, I had a chicken and curry main which was presented in an attractive fashion with sweet potato rounds and baby bok choy and my fella had fish and chips which he found delicious. He drank some Big Rig gold beer which was very nice.... I had to stick to water as I'm taking some antibiotics. Too bad, the beer looked delicious. It was very enjoyable and with all the big screen tv's, we'll be back to catch a little hockey once the season begins.

• Visited September 2013

• Korean first
Ottawa
“Good beer and food”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I went to this restaurant after a friend said the food was good and I was not disappointed.

They have 5 or 6 standard beers on tap hitting most of the spectrum and a seasonal. The beers were good, though not particularly unique - don't go here for a to die for IPA, but beer lovers will be satisfied with flavour. The food was good and portions were on the large size. I have to agree with many that the pricing is above average, but not enough to stop me from returning. It really isn't that far off from other restaurants of this food quality.

The atmosphere is more sports bar than brew pub, I imagine it is noisy on game nights and decor is quite plain when a game isn't on - it's like a warehouse with TV's hanging around.

This is ok for kids, they have a kids menu and is reasonably priced as it includes a drink and dessert.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bigdaddy316
Manotick
“Good beer, mediocre food”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

A smartly decorated restaurant packed with flat screen TV's located in a suburban strip mall, this brewery-eatery could use some focus on the food. The brews on tap are geared to appeal to the masses, and as such, succeed in delivering - they come tall and refreshingly cool on the warm August evening we visited, and are also available in sample flights.

The burgers we had, on the other hand, were a disappointment - served on a 'meh' bun and dry, with sides of okay fries. When DH asked how the burger was cooked, he waitress told us 'our burgers are made with fresh meat, not frozen, and we have to serve them well done'. She made it sound like a food safety issue. Unfortunately, this meant they were not at all juicy. For the price, they were certainly not good value.

Go there to to have a brew with friends; eat elsewhere.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank girlfromthetick
Ottawa, Canada
“Very good pizzas..and huge portions”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We moved in July and Big Rig is very close to our new house.

The pizza is excellent, tasty, many fresh ingredients and really huge. Even the medium pizza can fill two persons.

It's also a brewery. I am not a big fun of beer. However, the beer is top quality and I could compare it to German beer. In August we travelled to different locations in Europe and enjoyed the German food and beer. The Russian beer is similar to the Canadian beer not as good as the German beer. The Big Rig beer is really good and I could compare it to the German style.

Big rig is sport bar restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
“Lots to say”
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I will start with the positive:

Wings were delicious, highly recommend.

The servers were attentive.

The negative:
We made a reservation for 12 They claimed they heard 10. They did no make efforts to remedy the problem.

The chips and avocado dip were really gross. Tasted like watery salty guac.

Worth a go. Try their homebrew. On par with a chain restaurant as far as food goes. Brew pub aspect is a bit unique though.

• Visited August 2013