“Don't bother without a res even for a drink”

Brothers Beer Bistro
Ranked #123 of 2,900 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Tried to stop in just for a drink. Told them so. Granted we were a group of 8 but we were unceremoniously told to leave. Made it very clear that even with 4 open chairs at the bar, we were not welcome; told we would be in the way. Went to a second bar and told got the same cold reception- can't stand here, can't stand there, not by the door, not by a table, no table without food, don't block anybody's view of the hockey game. We were a well behaved, sober group. What's up Ottawa?

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had been at this restaurant last November for lunch on a Monday and was not impressed with the food. However I thought it deserved a second chance and visited again following skating on the canal with my wife. It was also on a Monday for lunch. As on the previous occasion, I ordered the Butternut Squash Soup and the Confit Turkey Salad Sandwich. Last time the soup was terrible, no taste. This time it was vey nice with the flavours one would expect. The Turkey Sandwich was delicious. My wife ordered the Burger and said it was terrific. The large portion of fries accompanying the burger were top notch. Last time I ordered their Apple Crisp for dessert. It was not very good. But I could not order it again to see if it had improved because it was no longer on the menu. This time I tried the Chocolate Mint Bread Pudding. It was very good. All in all we were very pleased with the food. It is quite innovative and the ingredients are first rate. Everything was very tasty. And they have a great selection of beers. Glad I am able to reconsider my previous review about the Brothers Beer Bistro. I hope it maintains this high standard.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The beer is fantastic. The food is too expensive for the quality. The beers are definetly great with many you would not be able to get anywhere but at this joint. if you're a beer lover this place is for you, but I'd suggest eating at smoke's poutine down the street ahead of time.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Beef carpaccio was a winner. Beet salad good sized portion. They give large quantities of fries. Small menu hope it changes regularly. No daily specials which would be a positive addition. Huge beer selection. Tried a hoppy Hawaii beer. You can even select a Rogue Dead Guy ale. Bartender can mix a variety of inventive cocktails.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We went to Brothers for dinner and drinks and really enjoyed it. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere, and they have a wide selection of bottled and on tap beers. The dinner menu is relatively small, but there is something for almost everyone, including vegetarians.