“Stick with the Fish and Chips”
Review of Cat's Fish & Chips

Cat's Fish & Chips
Ranked #365 of 2,889 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Cat's Fish and Chips is the "Little Blue House" that keeps everyone coming back. Cat's Fish and Chips, in both decor and cuisine is a little slice of East Coast life and could have very easily been plucked right from a Nova Scotian Harbour. Cat's menu has something for everyone! Salmon, burgers, or a cajun chicken breast might be something for you.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Arriving at 7:30pm since we heard the small restaurant gets full early, we were able to get a table immediately. I ordered the fish and chips which were excellent: flaky fish inside a light crispy batter. I choose the beer batter but they also have a gluten-free batter fried in a dedicated fryer. My husband was not pleased with his choice of snapper and rice. The snapper had been frozen too long and was tough and tasteless. The rice was not much better. Fortunately, my fish was enough to share. The fruit crisp for dessert was a very nice way to finish the meal and they made a fresh pot of coffee us for us. The owner, "Cat", came by and we discussed the snapper and said they would look into another source. We'll go back for fish and chips.

1  Thank TrinketTravels

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I went to Cat's hoping to have English-style fish and chips. Since they specialize in it, I was expecting it to be good. It wasn't. Not only that, it wasn't cheap either. I couldn't have the battered haddock because there was beer in the batter which I am allergic to it. [Why put beer in the batter? That's not how they do it in England and one cannot taste it so it is pointless.] While I applaud having a gluten-free batter option, it was very disappointing. It ended up with a soggy, thick texture with lumps in it. Similarly, the chips were covered in a nasty orange spice and weren't well cooked. This establishment does not make traditional nor good food. The menu is very limited.There are not many options for fish nor salad nor other meals.
This restaurant is 1 tiny dining room with a bar on one wall but they've tried to put in as many tables as possible. It would be pretty uncomfortable to be seated here with the lack of space and privacy. The decor at the bar is tatty maritime trinkets and untidy papers and junk spread over every surface.
The wait time was average for food that is cooked to order. Having paid the server behind the bar and waited to take out my meal, I didn't like the loud tactless question from the owner to her employee "Did she pay?" when she handed me our meals. There is obviously little trust in the establishment and little charm.
I wanted to like this establishment because it's a handy location for those who live in East Ottawa and fish and chips is a favourite meal. But the poor quality of the food and the charmless room and owner ensure I will not be back.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

The atmosphere is realy great the owner even take time to talk to us busy as he was but he did take the time very frienly guy and very welcoming perfect for his bussiness good luck to you. The fish and chips are home made it make a big difference it taste awsome fabulous you realy have to try it.

1  Thank natasha d
SkipperDave, Owner at Cat's Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank You natasha d, for your kind words!!!! Cat and I love what we do, and it feels great when someone lets us know that they enjoyed their visit!!!

See you soon!!!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was a dinner night with a couple of team mates. Our second time at Cat's Fish and Chips.
We are both sea food lovers and have had better. We tried the Scallywag Mussels, Rings by the sea & Pirate's Treasure ( Salmon and capers) as the appitizers. The mussels could have been cooked 30sec to a min. longer. Other then that, everything else was good. For dinner we had Cutlass Haddock, which our team mate removed most of the batter from the huge piece of Haddock. (To much batter). Two Starboard Snappers with curry sauce. I quite enjoyed it (spicy) in the right way. A Yardarm Quesadella. No complaints. The beer selection was minor with a few local brewers on tap. The wine was mostly from Ontario. We found it a little expensive for what seems to be an East Coast type pub fair. The restaurant is small and can be noisy. Though we didn't mind, as we were enjoying our company. (Laughing allot). I would say it's a very laid back feeling place. If your looking for a nice Sea-food dinner out this is not the place. We did enjoy ourselves and will most likely be back.

1  Thank CA45
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We heard an ad on the radio and were in the neighbourhood, so stopped in for lunch. We both ordered the Cutlass Haddock and were pleased with the whole meal. Best fish we've had in years! The beer batter was crisp and tasty, but what we really liked was that we could actually taste the haddock too! So many fish places that we've tried in recent years have more batter than fish, so we like that Cats makes sure there is more fish underneath that batter! And the haddock tasted fresh, moist and delicious. We enjoyed the home fries and slaw too, though the servings were so generous that we had trouble finishing it all. Overall a very pleasant dining experience. We'll be back!