“Cozy Stay”

Australis Guest House
Ranked #4 of 54 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Although the minimum stay for this B&B was 2 nights, due to inclement weather, I had to cancel one of my nights on the last minute. Brian, the host, was very understanding and accommodating of the situation and only charged me for 1 night.

Conveniently located, the Australis is walking distance to Byward Market, Rideau Center as well as University of Ottawa where you can access to various buses including route 97 that takes you to the airport in 20min.

The room was not big but clean, comfortable and cozy. My room didn't have a TV nor a lock on the door but I had access to good wifi. Breakfast was very good and filling which always help start your day.

If you're in Ottawa for a few nights and just want a convenient and decent place for a good sleep, I'd definitely recommend Australis. I will stay here again when I return!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Australis Guest House

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We spent 3 nights in Australis Guest House. Great experience. Hosts are very helpful. It is fun to share experiences with them during breakfast. Excellent breakfast. Good location. Nice and clean room. We shall definitely come back when we return to Ottawa.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jean D
Reviewed November 27, 2013

whenever i am in ottawa, i choose to stay @ this guest house, the hosts are carol and brian waters, they're very hospitable, efficient and very funny, with a world of travel experience, and the stories they can tell! carol is originally from australia (with a wonderful aussie accent) and brian is from britain(with a wonderful brit accent)--he makes the best porridge--i never get porridge @ home! the rooms are clean, cozy, and a little like home, and the house is near the ottawa river, the beautiful embassies, parliament hill and for shopping, there's the rideau centre and the byward market, all within walking distance. they are so helpful, i don't drive and they somehow arrange for me to get where i'm going, and get there on time., and on my last morning,(i always hate leaving), i'm usually presented with a warm scone or tidbit to tide me over.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Me and my friend had been travelling around Canada from Australia on a 2 yr work visa. We decided to come back to Ottawa which we were previously living, to ice skate the canal in February. We had a great time and didn't realise Carol was Australian until we got there. We should've guessed by the name! Thank you so much for the delicious breakfast and the vegemite to take with us on our future travels in Canada. We also appreciate you helping us with our snowshoeing adventure! I'm sorry it took us so long to review!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2013

For me, travel is always about the people I meet along the way. I began my 5 to 6 week trip in Ottawa and had the good fortune to stay at thge Australis B & B and meet the owners, Brian and Carol, .

While the B & B is itself lovely with its welcoming charm, spotless cleanliness, great location and fabulous homemade breakfasts, it was really my interactions with Brian and Carol that account for a 5 PLUS rating. Both are helpful, genuine, passionate about making their guests experience the best possible experience, and knowledgeable about their great city.

I travel ALOT and I cannot think of an experience that exceeded my expectations as this one did.

Truly, I cannot say enough about my wonderful experience with Brian and Carol at their quaint B & B. Thank you both, April from Vancouver

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My friend and I stayed over for 3 nights. We had a wonderful experience with our hosts and the other guests.Our hosts, Brian and Carol Waters are very kind hospitable and even went out of their way to make us our farewell breakfast. They gave us helpful tips on where to visit in Ottawa and they really know the city well. There is free wifi, breakfast and laundry. There are towels and a fan in our room. Downtown is only a 20 minute walk. However, there are also bus stops nearby if you are not up to a walk. Overall, this was my first stay at a hostel and I will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Brian and Carol were delightful hosts at their B and B. We stayed here three nights enjoying their delicious and filling breakfasts each day. Please note the breakfast times are only from 8:30-9:30. Our quiet, private room and bath were located on the third floor of some very steep and narrow steps. The entire floor was ours alone!
The convenient location to downtown was a 15 minute walk. We arrived by car but only used it once to drive along the scenic parkway, and a restaurant in the Gatineau hills. Our hosts allowed us to park in their carport during our stay which was helpful since there is only timed day time street parking.
One evening we filled the room refrigerator with goodies and enjoyed our own cocktail hour on their back patio deck. Carol returned from shopping and joined us to share stories of her world wide travels. Both she and Brian gave us helpful suggestions for visiting local museums and restaurants.

Room Tip: Top floor room can be hot in the summertime but there is a window air conditioner in the bedroom. Wo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple