“Great for Kids”

and up
Ottawa Highlights Half-Day Bike Tour
Ranked #35 of 267 things to do in Ottawa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Canada Agriculture and Food Museum is living proof of the "Green Capital". In fact, Ottawa is the only world capital that has a working farm at its heart. Canada's unique agricultural heritage is featured at the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum, where you can explore the sights and sounds of typical farm life. Visit the Animals Get up close and personal with a number of animals at the Canada Agriculture and Food Museum. In our barns and barnyards, you'll see different breeds of various farm animals. Don't forget to look for our heritage breeds! See the Exhibitions The Canada Agriculture and Food Museum features fun, interactive exhibitions showcasing Canada's agricultural history as well as contemporary agricultural problems and solutions.
Ottawa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great for Kids”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My girlfriend worked there last summer, and I spent some time there as I got to go in for free, and the museum is amazing. Lots of animals to see and learn about. Lots of space for you and your family to move around without feeling too crowded. And a very friendly staff, highly recommend a visit for anyone in the Ottawa area.

Visited September 2012

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Fun time with little kids!”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Ottawa Agriculture museum is a Hit! As farmers, we are always a bit suspect of too-clean, too-touristy "Agriculture" tourist attractions. This Museum is a nice switch, with all the smells and sounds associated with a real farm. They have a herd of about 20 milk cattle, which you can watch be milked any afternoon. Their calves are nicely housed, showing the real experience of being a calf in a big barn. The pigs and goats all had fresh babies, (because we visited in March) which was a wonderful bonus for us and our grandchildren. The horse barn could be more extensive, with a wider variety of horses. We did not see any ponies, or riding horses, maybe because they are deemed not "farm" animals. There are no money-grabbing novelties for kids to yammer after, (except for one supermarket style horsey ride in the horse barn.) The toy playing area up in the bee area amused the little ones, and they LOVED the demonstration tractors in the implement display. As you can see from this wordy review, I just can't say enough about how great this place is. I don't know how much it cost, because my daughter got a courtesy pass......from the Ottawa library, if you can believe it! They check them out like books! Ottawa in general, is a city for Canadians to be proud of, and if you go, stop here.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Lynne C
Ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Major disappointment”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We visited because we love animals, but this museum didn't respect the animals at all. They fed us misinformation about how animals are treated on farms today. I don't believe the PETA people who claim that all animals are tortured on all farms, but this museum goes to the other extreme, by claiming that all animals fare very well, and that all farmers care for them. I've spent a portion of my life on farms, and unfortunately most critters are now pretty much crammed into pretty horrid factory farms. I had thought this museum would be at the cutting edge of exploring humane alternatives and providing a balanced portrait. Instead the museum is a mouthpiece for cruel industrialized agriculture. And I was so depressed to hear that the cuddly rabbits planned for Easter at the museum are actually raised for meat and fur, and generally was made so upset about the attitudes toward animals at the museum, that, almost out of anger, I started out trying the vegetarian thing. So far so good. Getting off cheese seems tough, but I keep thinking of those museum cows chained by the neck constantly. And I've heard about something called "Daia" soy cheese that's supposedly amazing. Anyway go visit an animal sanctuary if you want to pet animals. Thanks.

Visited March 2013
6 Thank LennoxW
Chalk River, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A working farm for urban tourists”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Lots of fun for kids of all ages. LEarn about how food is made and animals are cared for before they are made into food! The harse drawn cart ride around the farm is fun, and there are bike paths criss-crossing the whole place, which feels like an oasis of nature in a large city.

Visited May 2012
Ottawa, Canada
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Favorite Museum for the little ones”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

OK little ones, bring our parents they will enjoy this place. Oh look they have animals you can pet, some are not for petting, it's just a very fun place for the little short stops in our family. It's where with supervision you can let your little ones run around and marvel at all the animals.