“Amazing Time!”

and up
Rideau Canal Cruise in Ottawa
Ranked #8 of 290 things to do in Ottawa
More attraction details
Owner description: Canada's national natural history museum offers world-class galleries in a handsome heritage "castle". Marvel at dinosaurs and other ancient reptiles in the Fossil Gallery. See grizzlies and other wild animals up close in beautiful dioramas in the Mammal Gallery. Observe hundreds of specimens in the Bird Gallery. See a real blue whale skeleton in the Water Gallery. Be dazzled by over a thousand gorgeous minerals and rocks in the Earth Gallery. Peer at an eye-popping assortment of creepy crawlies in Nature Live. Enjoy an action-packed 3D movie. Take advantage of numerous hands-on activities. Don't miss the special, travelling exhibitions. A superb destination for visitors of all ages!
Reviewed June 4, 2013

First of all my trip here was not at all planned. I had planned to go to the Aviation Museum for the Star Wars exhibit. Of course, the museum is closed on Tuesdays, so I did a last minute switch for some nature, and I was not disappointed.

Fantastic exhibits for the water, mammals, dinosaurs, birds, minerals, and live animals in the basement floor. Got to see creepy crawlies very very up close. Museum also had several large water tanks with fish and marine life, which are a favourite of mine.

Very informative captions for each exhibit and like many reviewers have previously stated, the museum feels very do-able. For me, I did the entire place in about 4 hours, except for the special exhibit which required an extra fee.

Also, parking for the day was $12, so after I was done here, I walked about 15 minutes north to Parliament Hill and some pub food and a beer. Also walked along Sparks Street for arts and crafts stores. Walked back down to the parking lot, got in my car and paid, then drove on my way.

Great time spent, info-tainment at its best. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,701)

Reviewed May 29, 2013

From start to finish, our first time visiting the Museum of Nature was excellent. Very easy to find, lots of parking and very helpful and courteous staff inside. This was a family visit as my little one is obsessed with dinosaurs. The fossils and exhibits were outstanding , interactive, and very educational. The attention to detail in the exhibits was definitely noticed and appreciated. We toured the majority of the museum and did not feel rushed or bored. We cannot wait to go back and spend more time in this amazing facility.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a great Natural History museum for children and adults. What I loved about it was that it was just the right size. At the Royal Ontario Museum or the NYC Museum of Natural History, there is just so much to see, so much content, it can be overwhelming and I feel pressured to see everything while I am there. This museum was a little smaller and more "doable". It is also geared more towards children than the aforementioned museums, but childless adults would still have a great time! For those with children, the displays are viewable from kid height, there are interactive stations and they all work (!) and there are some play places in all the different areas for kids to let off a little steam. I was really impressed with how the museum gave enough information but not too much at a level that was understandable. Best part, on Thursdays from 5-8 pm the museum is free and that was enough time for my family to see most of what we wanted to at the museum.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

A terrific afternoon spent here. Lots of exhibits with lots of interesting stuff. Very family friendly but also great for anyone.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

What a wonderful visit. We enjoyed each and every exhibit and couldn't believe how quickly the time flew by.