“Museum of Nature”

and up
Rideau Canal Cruise
Ranked #12 of 291 things to do in Ottawa
More attraction details
Owner description: Canada's national natural history museum offers world-class galleries in a handsome heritage "castle". Marvel at dinosaurs and other ancient reptiles in the Fossil Gallery. See grizzlies and other wild animals up close in beautiful dioramas in the Mammal Gallery. Observe hundreds of specimens in the Bird Gallery. See a real blue whale skeleton in the Water Gallery. Be dazzled by over a thousand gorgeous minerals and rocks in the Earth Gallery. Learn about Canada's North in the Canada Goose Arctic Gallery. Peer at an eye-popping assortment of creepy crawlies in Nature Live. Enjoy an action-packed 3D movie. Take advantage of numerous hands-on activities. Don't miss the special, travelling exhibitions. A superb destination for visitors of all ages!
Reviewed January 8, 2013

wonderful place to visit and to revisit and to revisit. It was here I believe the the great doctor Alice E. Wilson got her start (Geological) and the Museum is a gem

Write a ReviewReviews (1,762)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"rainy day"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed January 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I frequented the Museum of Nature when we lived across the road from it. Go on Thursday late afternoons if you can, when it's free.

One of the best spots is the insectarium, in the basement. A spot most people miss on their visit.

It would be nice if the special exhibits were included on the free days. We really wanted to see the whale exhibit, but you had to pay extra to go see it.

1  Thank K2013B
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I always loved this musuem. I used to go often when I was a kid. It is such a nice place and I can't seem to get enough. The learning possibilities are endless.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Born and raised in Ottawa, but living elsewhere now, my memories of The Museum of Nature are plentiful, and I wanted to share these memories with my girlfriend Colleen.
We just LOVED visiting this Christmas...a ZEN for adults, calming, creative and a return to nature in a hustle bustle world.
My fave is the diorama of mammals, but my biggest surprise was the new collection of like-real dinosaurs, pic below. I also was amazed at the West-coast Canada whale skeleton, breathtaking! Colleen was enthralled with the jewel collections.
An added bonus was enjoying a cold pint in the Museum Cafe before departing, complete with a 4-piece Jazz Quartet...Excellent!
Totally worth the $12 bucks each for a few hours of lifetime memories, please do visit!
Cheers, Paul