“Great for a business trip... Lacked a bit of "ambiance" for a romantic getaway...”
Review of Brookstreet Hotel

Brookstreet Hotel
Ranked #19 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersGold level
Quebec
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wonderful husband surprised me with a relaxing one-night stay at this hotel. We stayed in a junior suite, and opted to have dinner out in Kanata.

Hotel in General:
- The price at just over $200 for a "junior suite" wasn't bad.. Though, we didn't end up using "living room" area anyway but it was nice to feel like we had an "apartment" to ourselves.
- The hotel has both an indoor (heated) and outdoor pool, a fully-equiped gym, hottub, and a few different options for eating.
- The hotel is clean, modern and secure (you need to use your room pass to operate the elevators to get to the guest rooms). Indoor parking is included with your stay.
- It also has a spa, but we didn't take advantage of those services this visit.

The Room:
- The bed was nice enough, but the pillows were a feather-like substance that turned rock hard once you lay your head on them for a while. I woke up quite a few times with a sore neck as a result. My hubby reported that he slept beautifully, however I discovered he also found the only "normal" pillow in the closet. ;)
- The decor was just not quite my style. Cheap laminate cabinetry with silver foil finish on the drawers, deep, brooding grey walls, cold, dark grey tile in the bathroom. It had an air of cool sophistication that had me picturing a banker in a dark grey wool suit working at the big desk in the "living area", as opposed to a calm (cream-coloured) environment that would have made it feel more like a calm, warm oasis to relax in.
- The bathroom had a shower and a separate tub for bathing, but it would have been nice if it was a soaker tub. I'm a small person and still felt no inclination to enjoy a relaxing soak in the low tub with gritty, non-slip bottom. To me, it was much better suited for someone who maybe had to bathe kids.
- The bathroom is stocked with nice towels, a hair dryer, and Gilcrest and Soams soaps and lotions. (Though I didn't find the shampoo was very nice - it didn't lather!)
- There was no ice machine anywhere, and you have to order a key to the bar fridge. We didn't want to get into extra charges for nothing, so we declined the bar fridge key. We'd brought some wine, and when we called to room service for ice, they brought it up in a bag, with no ice bucket. We ended up having to chill our drinks in a garbage can.
(Note: we didn't ask them for a better bucket but they probably would have come back up with something had we asked).
- Internet access: $19.95 a day!! Needless to say, we opted to google map our directions to the restaurant using my cellphone and left the laptop in the car.

Swimming:
- The pool area was nice, but to get to it you have to wind your way to the back of the gym area, through a door, down some stairs, down a hallway, and then you find the pool. The changerooms, with lockers, are located at the FRONT of the gym. This means you have to parade through the gym in your wet bathing suit to get back to where your clothing is stored. We opted to bring our clothes with us, changed in the washrooms near the pool area, and stacked our clothes on chairs, poolside. This nearly gave me a heartattack when a rude lady came in and moved my clothing (my underwear almost fell out!) without asking so she could sit down in that chair instead of another one near by.
- The hottub was okay but it was located right next to the kids' pool, which meant we were splashed a few times by the kids playing next to us. There is no sign stating that kids aren't allowed in the hottub, like at some places, so a group of very hyper boys piled into the hottub at one point (we were out but an elderly man was still in it) and the boys were spraying each other with the hot water, which angered the man and sparked a fight between him and their mother - maybe this is just a reflection of less than stellar parenting though, and not so much the hotel. :)

Dining:
- Room service is expensive, but the menu did look yummy.
- The dining area looks beautiful, and the food they were serving (especially in the morning) was gorgeous. However, we opted to go to the Brookstreet cafe to pick up starbucks coffee and a breakfast sandwich because we had a long drive ahead of us. We ended up not getting anything because after 10 minutes in line, the lone cashier still hadn't finished serving the first customer (and there were about four others ahead of us) and they had run out of all but two or three spinach sandwiches and had no more (the sandwiches must get shipped in, and once they're gone, they're gone). So we opted to leave and find somewhere else to eat.

General Area
- Kanata is not a very pretty part of the city, at least where this hotel is located. Our junior suite had tons of windows, with two different views (we were on a corner), but all we had to look at were rooftops of a housing subdivision and various office buildings as the hotel is located in the middle of the IT park. One nice thing was the sunset though - you get an amazingly unobstructed view of the horizon.
- There's nothing really to do in Kanata. After we had dinner, we ended up wandering aimlessly around the horrible Kanata Centrum mall parking lot (outdoor mall, very hard to find things, and everything is closed on Saturday evenings except the restaurants). I would have loved to find some live music, a comedy show, or even just some nice window-shopping. If you're in the mood for this kind of atmosphere, I'd suggest Westboro Village, Little Italy or downtown as alternatives to the "suburban" environment that Kanata offers.

Room Tip: West side offers beautiful view of horizon for sunsets, East side offers view of golf course.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Brookstreet, Public Relations Manager at Brookstreet Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Thank you very much for your detailed review! Your comments are important to us and help us make further improvements for our guest's comfort. We will review your comments with the team and look forward to seeing you again in future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed here for 2 consecutive weeks while attending a business course in the area. My work actually booked the hotel for me and I was very pleased that they did. The hotel itself is beautiful and the room was very spacious and comfortable. The food in both the restaurant and bar was excellent, they have the best Club sandwich I have ever tasted in the Options bar!! There is a pool and gym in the hotel but I never used the gym, however the pool was lovely although a bit of a walk from the changing rooms - but it was worth it. I also tried out the spa while I was there and it was really good also.
The only negatives I would say about the hotel is they charge for the internet, although there is free wifi in the bar and lobby area, and there is not a lot within close proximity to the hotel, there are a couple of shops and places to eat but as I was only there for business purposes this didn't bother me too much.
Overall a very nice hotel with friendly staff and excellent food.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Brookstreet, Public Relations Manager at Brookstreet Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Our compliments to your employer's selection of accommodation! We're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and are delighted that you made good use of the facilities and free WiFi in the common areas. There have been many upgrades to our Internet services over the last year (over $28K!), allowing us to provide some of the city's fastest service for our guests (with speeds up to 100Mbps); during which time we have not increased our fees. Chef will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Club sandwich!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I booked two rooms with two beds in each room and asked they be adjoining. Unfortunately they do not have adjoining rooms with two beds in each so three adults and three kids had only three beds instead of four. Pools were great. Bed not too comfortable. Restaurant was okay. Hotel did waive the early check-in charge.

Room Tip: If you book two rooms ensure you have enough beds for your parties
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback; it is important to us! Our adjoining rooms are Kings to Double-Queens which serve most guest's needs. We also have adjoining master suites or could have added a cot for a smaller child as an option for you. Hopefully these suggestions were made to you if we were aware of your needs. We'd be pleased to welcome you back to enjoy our new beds which will be installed by the end of the year.
Petawawa, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I would stay at this hotel anytime! The staff were considerate, professional, and helpful. They went above and beyond what was required. I was sick one day and the customer relations recommended a nearby walk-in clinic and arranged for a shuttle to take me. Even the cleaning ladies waited with me until the driver was there to get me. The next day I was ill enough to go to the hospital and a shuttle was arranged for me immediately. Follow up calls were made to me to make sure I was well. I could go on.....Best hotel in Ottawa - bar none.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
How kind of you to share your feedback! We certainly hope that you have made a full recovery. It is indeed unfortunate that you were not well during your visit and we are happy that we were able to help. Come back soon when you're feeling well enough to enjoy everything we have to offer!
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My sister and I stayed here and found the hotel a little difficult to find. It's in a "technology park" and looked like a high-rise condo or office tower, as opposed to a hotel. It was set pretty far back from the street, and the sign wasn't immediately obvious. We had a GPS and had it not been for that, we might have passed right by. The staff were all very nice and check-in/check-out was easy. Our only complaint was the room key/elevator situation. You must swipe your room key in the elevator for access to your floor - but the swiper is only on one side of the elevator and if it's crowded and you're on the other side of the elevator, you can't swipe in time for an early floor like we were on. We ended up missing it a few times, and travelling all the way up to higher floors. Also, our family members were on other floors, and we couldn't get to their rooms. We did find out from other guests, eventually, that you can have your key adjusted to allow you to get to other floors, but we weren't told that on check-in. Just a little thing that was annoying. Otherwise, it was a nice place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank GOL2003
Thank you for sharing your comments with us and for chosing to stay with Brookstreet. We do take our guest's security very seriously, hence the privacy keys that restrict access to your own floor. You are correct in that we can add other floors as permitted by your friends. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back, hopefully our signage on the 18th floor will becon you to locate us more easily!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This hotel is a true gem. The people at the front desk, at the Perspectives Restaurant, at the front door are incredible. They make you feel like family, they are actually excited to see you and to do whatever it takes to please you. Diego, Brad, Antonella, Matt, Jamie have become our family in such a short period of time. They are remarkable people - and the "people focus" is what makes the Brookstreet so very special.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank George K
Brookstreet, Public Relations Manager at Brookstreet Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2011
What lovely comments, thank you so very much! Our team is pretty awesome and we're very proud of them. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and were properly spoiled as you should be at Brookstreet!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have had the opportunity to stay at the hotel 3 times this summer. All three have been pleasant experiences.

However, during my last trip, August 23, 2011, I was surprised to see that the bed did not have a fitted sheet over the mattress nor a soft mattress cover. So my sleep was not as comfortable as the last two stays.

On August 23rd, I stayed in room 1209.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review; your comments are very important to us and help to improve our offerings to you.Your concerns will be reviewed with our housekeeping manager. Rest assured that by the end of this year we will have new mattresses and luxury bedding n every room which should make your next stay as it should be: sensational!