“Three weeks in the US/Canada and this was the worst place I stayed” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ottawa Backpackers Inn

Ottawa Backpackers Inn
Ranked #1 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Ottawa
“Three weeks in the US/Canada and this was the worst place I stayed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Dirty, rundown, overpriced, unfriendly, poor facilities.. I could go on. I only had one night in Ottawa, so I don't know if there are better alternatives, but if you want to see what a real hostel should be like, go to Montreal instead and stay in the M Hostel for the same price.
The only good thing here was a decent location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
martinjones99, Owner at Ottawa Backpackers Inn, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
We agree that M Hostel is very well priced, however it is not possible to compare the prices in Montreal and Ottawa as they are two very different markets. Ottawa Backpackers Inn is the cheapest hostel in Ottawa and we believe that we are very fairly priced - the rooms are secure (with lockers in them) and spacious and the kitchen has everything you would expect in it and more (we even have an electric whisk!). We've also made a couple of changes since you've been here - new TV, regular activity nights such as cake night and a special map we give to our guests which has discounts for guests at local businesses in the area. Do give us a try if you're back in the area again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Korean first
Montcuq, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

I spent one night in this hostel and it was enough! We had reserved a room with my boyfriend and at our arrival we were suprised that they gave us the room in the basement. The semi finished room was very dark and unappealing, moreover the room was very noisy because it was located under the kitchen and next to the washing machines.
The room was not very tidy and the bathroom was terrible.
The staff was acceptable but they didn't give us any recommandations of what to do in Ottawa and they don't propose anything in the hostel.
The only good point of this hostel is the location because it is close to everything, the byward market, many restaurants, coffee, pub ...

Room Tip: Ask to not be in the basement
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Ottawa hotels

Wodonga, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I can't really say much about this place, I expected a lot as the hostel seemed so nice from it's pictures! It's location is pretty sweet and the staff were really helpful, I liked the people in my room and they seemed to wanna party, other than that nothing to spectacular to report here....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed one week in early October 2013 in a 5 -bunkbed room at the top floor and it does get crowded when it is full as 10 adults are sleeping in the same room.

Good points : great location in the central Byward Market where shops,bars and restaurants and coffee places abound in a stone's throw; good wi-fi internet, a well-equipped kitchen with microwave, range with oven, toaster, and most kitchen utensils; one large living room providing 3 couches and electrical outlets, an outside porch with couch; friendly,easy-going staff of 4 females and 2 males sleeping on site in the basement.

Not so pleasant features : one w-c with lavabo per room of 10 guests, 1 shower on the ground floor for all, staff can monopolize the kitchen table to celebrate some staff event leaving guests to eat in the living room, one staff member would play loudly her computer radio music.

Room Tip: Try to stay in a 4-person room , avoid the 10-person room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Tirgu Mures, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in August and it was a decent experience. It is located in Bytown, near the market, and a stone's throw away from the Canadian Parliament. The rooms are named after continents and the bunks are named for different landmarks on that respective continent - a nice touch! The staff here are very friendly but when it comes to the city itself, it didn't seem like they knew too much other than what was in the general vicinity. However, they were very helpful in getting information they didn't know. It was also quite clean, and they emphasized that you had to take off your shoes when entering to keep the place clean. I was staying there at the time when a lot of exchange students from Europe and Brazil came over so I was kind of the lone traveller but other than that, a very average stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is pretty much a typical hostel - all the usual stuff applies.

The rooms on the 2nd floor can get really hot, so be prepared for that. Sometimes they put fans in the rooms...

There is a porch you can sit on, but be prepared for smoke from others.

It is close to the Byward Market, so that is nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a nice, friendly and generally welcoming hostel. Upon arrival, however, it isn't obvious where the office is and I found myself standing in the doorway feeling quite confused. However, once I walked further into the building I was greeted by a very helpful guy at reception. The staff didn't hesitate to answer my questions and get me set up for my stay. Everyone was very friendly, however it seemed to me like all the staff had been living together for a long time and as such I felt a little bit like I was staying in their house/intruding. I would call this somewhat of a "party hostel"; many people, including staff, would start drinking at 2pm and I was awoken in the middle of the night numerous times to the sound of someone vomitting in the bathroom (however I feel this was likely an isolated incident).

Social awkwardness aside, this was a very nice and cozy place. The kitchen was well equipped, the dorm room spacious enough with nightlight and locker (however it got very hot at night!). The location is also great, basically a block away from Byward Market, and half a block from an organic grocery store which I made great use of. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo