“Great little restaurant”

Good for: Families with children
Ottawa, Canada
“Great little restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

Good friends of mine had made the Havana a regular (once a week) lunch meeting place and had invited me to join them.

I couldn't have been more pleased with a restaurant. I had a Cuban coffee and shredded beef sandwich and both were excellent. My bill - under $8.

Its a smaller restaurant but its very tastefully decorated with Cuban art and photographs covering the walls. The tables are a good size and they have managed to avoid crowding even with the small space they have.

The coffee is imported from Cuba and you can buy bags of it to take home. I am a bit of a coffee snob and I'll be buying a pound next time I'm there - next week.

Ottawa, Canada
“Surprising find for delicious Cuban food in Ottawa South”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

My husband and I stumbled on this modest restaurant one rainy Thursday evening. With around 7 or 8 tables, the restaurant serves up wonderful Cuban food at amazingly inexpensive prices. I had chicken tamale with salad, rice and yucca for $10 and my husband had a platter of Ropa Vieja, also with rice, salad, yucca and plantain, for the same price. Sunday brunch is a buffet for $15 (we haven't been to this yet.) They also cater.

The quality of the ingredients and presentation make this cafe stand out among others in the same price range. The food was fresh and artfully arranged on the plates. The salad included ingredients that were unexpected at this price range, including fresh asparagus.

Drinks include their signature mojito lemonade and a variety of tropical juices. (It would have been helpful to have ice added to the diet coke I ordered.)

The chef came out to greet diners which added a friendly touch to the meal. He is from Cuba and came to live in Ottawa after marrying a Canadian.

Service is casual, as is the decor. Diners are not rushed--when you are ready to leave, simply go to the cash to pay.

This is a quintessential neighbourhood restaurant--friendly, excellent food, good value. We will be coming back--often.

• Visited March 2012